Selecting the next TULANE AD

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Coach Level

Re: Selecting the next TULANE AD

Unread post by 1401973 »

I’d be happy to.
If you don’t know it’s fact - it does no good to anything Tulane to post coincidences or half baked conspiracies as anything of substance.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

If this hire was to appease the fans it appears to have accomplished that as UNI fans are very happy to see him go. A UNI fan posted on the other board why fans are glad to see him go.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
greenyalie
Riptide Level

Unread post by greenyalie »

Sounds like a win/win for everyone then! The folks here who had to have sitting AD got their wish, apparently UNI is happy to see Harris leave, and of course, now we can start a coaching search since we ignored CWF’s preferred candidate. Hope everyone is happy now!
waverider
Cornerstone

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:35 pm Sounds like a win/win for everyone then! The folks here who had to have sitting AD got their wish, apparently UNI is happy to see Harris leave, and of course, now we can start a coaching search since we ignored CWF’s preferred candidate. Hope everyone is happy now!
:lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

Football coaches don't select AD's...never have and never will. If this pushes WF to take the next job offered, I will gladly shake his hand, thank him, and wish him well. Never, ever let the tail wag the dog!
greenyalie
Riptide Level

atxwave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:12 pm Football coaches don't select AD's...never have and never will. If this pushes WF to take the next job offered, I will gladly shake his hand, thank him, and wish him well. Never, ever let the tail wag the dog!
here is the issue, before Fritz there was no dog for the tail to wag. Do not under estimate how hard it will be when Fritz leaves. You can shake his hand and watch half the team hit the portal while we win 2 games next year.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

Ed Daniels is a clown. If Willie Fritz wants to leave because he didn't get his AD who was a disaster at FAMU then they can ride off in the sunset together. I really don't think WF is built this way though.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:15 pm
atxwave wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:12 pm Football coaches don't select AD's...never have and never will. If this pushes WF to take the next job offered, I will gladly shake his hand, thank him, and wish him well. Never, ever let the tail wag the dog!
here is the issue, before Fritz there was no dog for the tail to wag. Do not under estimate how hard it will be when Fritz leaves. You can shake his hand and watch half the team hit the portal while we win 2 games next year.
You are totally ignoring the very, very real possibility that Fritz is gone anyway. He was gone last year until GT botched the hiring process down the stretch. Where was the gosha loyalty then? It's a business. Fritz is not going to be loyal to an assistant ad, even if he is promoted to ad. Nor should he.

You are right that replacing Fritz will be hard, but it would be harder still if we settled for a guy that wasn't fully ready for the gig.
greenyalie
Riptide Level

Correct, I am relatively young and a business exec. Gave a considerable amount to help keep Fritz and pretty sure he is gone now. I am just one person so who cares.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

As far as the UNI fan on the other forum goes...there are always 2 sides to every story. David Harris could be everything that guy said, he could also be Troy Dannen 2.0 which is somewhere in the middle, or could even be the next great AD. Only time will tell.

As far as Willie Fritz, I don't think he's the type of person to draw a line in the sand like Ed Daniels is making him out to be. WF may be gone in a few weeks regardless who was named the next AD. WF could be here the next 5 years and then retire. Only time will tell.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:31 pm Correct, I am relatively young and a business exec. Gave a considerable amount to help keep Fritz and pretty sure he is gone now. I am just one person so who cares.
I appreciate your fandom, but you need to step away from the ledge. We've had 2 great years under WF out of 8. He's not going anywhere and if he does, we'll figure it out and move forward.
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

waverider wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:30 pm If this hire was to appease the fans it appears to have accomplished that as UNI fans are very happy to see him go. A UNI fan posted on the other board why fans are glad to see him go.
We had a guy leave for Washington and had plenty of people here say they didn’t miss him. An AD leaving almost never fails to bring out the “we won’t miss him” in fans.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

Well, you're both right. You can't let the coach pick the AD.
But when you've been so bloody incompetent in athletics for the better part of 70 years (as Tulane has), you damn well better not piss off your highest and brightest shining star over the last 70 years either.

There have been moments of athletic lucidity at Tulane over the last 70 years, but they all closed quickly and Tulane reverted to the "we don't judge by wins and losses" din.
That cannot happen again.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

so, what Ed seems to be saying is there is only one man on the face of the Earth who Willie Fritz would see fit to be his boss. So, Coach Fritz, who has 40 years of experience at every level and has worked with dozens of fellow coaches, administrators and staff through the years is gonna get his back up in anger and head off into the sunset because the school went another direction and Coach doesn't feel like he can work with anyone but Kortne Gosha. Seems to me Coach Fritz has been way more flexible than that throughout his career and has the ability to get along with just about anyone. Makes no sense to me that hiring David Harris sends Coach Fritz racing for the exits without meeting the man, getting to know him, negotiating with him, etc. So, what else seems to be the case from reading our vitriolic message boards is that: We had a horrible AD in Troy Dannen, before him we had a horrible AD in Rick Dickson and we had a horrible choice of Kortne Gosha in front of us who the angry ones amongst us say didn't have the chops or integrity to lead the Tulane Athletic program. And what else? Well, from what I read very often on here we have a lousy men's basketball coach, a lousy baseball program, a lousy women's hoops coach and Willie Fritz is running away from Willow Street as soon as possible (never mind that he has been at Tulane longer than any other coach for a continuous stretch except for one guy -- and he (Scelfo) was universally labeled trash on here as well, a political hire that mired Tulane in mediocrity that some seem to think the school so richly deserves. On top of that we love to quote anonymous posters from other half-mad, little-read and little-used message boards as gospel on the state of affairs at Northern Iowa. Please spare me.
greenyalie
Riptide Level

GSx wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:43 pm
But when you've been so bloody incompetent in athletics for the better part of 70 years (as Tulane has), you damn well better not piss off your highest and brightest shining star over the last 70 years either.

There have been moments of athletic lucidity at Tulane over the last 70 years, but they all closed quickly and Tulane reverted to the "we don't judge by wins and losses" din.
Fritz took us to 5 bowls in 8 years including a NY6 win. He is Tulane football to anyone who has graduated in the last 20 years because most of the younger grads could care less about “beating LSU back in the 80’s” or even 1998. Our only shot at a P5 was to continue to win and in today’s portal world of college football, losing your all-time coach is pretty much the worse thing that can happen. People warned me that the Tulane admin always makes bad decisions and now I see it.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Basing the "opinion of the UNI fans" on something on the other forum is like believing there was a massive rally for a cause because one attendee tweeted how amazing it was. On Twitter almost all the replies to Thamel's initial leak were UNI fans mad he was leaving and saying he was great.

Or were they??? :mrgreen:

News flash: don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Edit: randy just beat me to the post, but, yeah, everything Randy said above.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:31 pm Correct, I am relatively young and a business exec. Gave a considerable amount to help keep Fritz and pretty sure he is gone now. I am just one person so who cares.
Thank you for contribution and support. I'm also relatively young fwiw. Why are you so sure he wouldn't leave anyway? You can make the claim hiring gosha improves our odds to keep him which I might buy, but I think how much more likely we are to keep him is very much up for debate.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I guarantee the “Tulane Fans” whining the most on social media about the hire are absolutely doing so for selfish reasons.

They liked their level of inside access and clout with the program and are insecure that an “outsider” may actually value them differently.

These aren’t Boosters who earned that access by five-figure+ annual donations. These are mostly the same “Tulane Fans” that liked when there were just 4,500 people watching in the Dome so they could have their rears’ kissed and appreciated for just being there with a pulse.

Anyone being rash and up in arms about the hire without having a chance to listen to his introductory Press Conference and hearing President Fitts’ opening remarks about why he was the right candidate is really not a person that we need supporting us any more.

We had 30,000 fans show up to the Cotton Bowl. Your threat of cutting your $500 annual donation because your guy got you a few extra tailgate wristbands a season means nothing. Bunch of clowns.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:48 pm
GSx wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:43 pm

Fritz took us to 5 bowls in 8 years including a NY6 win. He is Tulane football to anyone who has graduated in the last 20 years because most of the younger grads could care less about “beating LSU back in the 80’s” or even 1998. Our only shot at a P5 was to continue to win and in today’s portal world of college football, losing your all-time coach is pretty much the worse thing that can happen. People warned me that the Tulane admin always makes bad decisions and now I see it.
Well, I'm from the older generation, and I don't give a sh$$ about playing LSU either; some people had the phobia so bad they wanted to ruin our bowl experience with that.
Yes, Fritz has been the best thing to happen to Tulane athletics in 70 years, by a mile.
But I do think that saying he definitely wouldn't leave if Gorsha was hired and that now he will leave is hyperbole and a stretch.
I also don't believe in coincidences. That makes me grounded in reality, not conspiracy. I hope that they Board made sure that Fritz is okay ith this.

And I agree that winning in football really, as of now, is all our biggest P5 draw. We don't measure up on things that Dannen needed to address: facilities. I do hope that the Board realizes that the brains of this operation was Fritz, not Dannen
greenyalie
Riptide Level

I am not hear to upset a community I so dearly love and will stop posting on this subject.
Last edited by greenyalie on Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

GSx wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:00 pm But I do think that saying he definitely wouldn't leave if Gosha was hired and that now he will leave is hyperbole and a stretch.
To the utmost degree. This thread has so much silliness.
waverider
Cornerstone

I’d imagine it’s almost as simple as “we have this great thing going with football and a coach that gets it. We give you the tools and resources needed, can you stay out of his way?”

Like most jobs, the better the boss, the better the job, but I can’t imagine the AD having such an impact that the head coach of the football program gets up and leaves as soon as he’s hired.
Tulane Greenbackers

nolasilver
Coach Level

Unread post by nolasilver »

greenyalie wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:04 pm I am not hear to upset a community I so dearly love and will stop posting on this subject. I live in Houston and have donated over 6 figures recently to Tulane Athletics. I dutifully fly to every game within reason. My wife (also an alum) have hosted Coach Fritz at our home here for a fund raiser and his daughter who is a journalist turned teacher who lives in City Center. His old coach Ron Randleman who coached both Fritz and Sam Pittman at Pittsburgh St lives locally and agrees with my view and he knows Willie well. I am VERY confident Coach would have stayed had his guy got the AD job. Now, who knows and that is not a risk we should be taking with conference realignment going on. Anyway, Roll Wave this Friday and I will stop posting for a bit.
Have you or your wife discussed this with him or his wife & family ? Do you know he didn’t sign off on the new hire ? Do you know he was upset they went in another direction ? If you have, that would be a valid data point. Because I haven’t seen or heard anything along those lines and because of this I can only read the statements that have come out and interpret them with my own business & sports acumen. What you and ed are saying also very much seems out of character of WF.

And this “shut up” take is ludicrous hyperbole, and toxic rhetoric.

Following Pete and gsx, some of these takes are mind boggling and I think I need to stop responding to them.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

The post from a UNI fan (I guess. It’s 10x longer than even a Tiger Droppings troll would post) is so over the top that all he left out is the pardons he has received from Governors in four states.

If you ever want to read an agenda post that is it.

Think if the now departed Last Postdom from here went on a Tulsa fan board to “disclose” everything wrong with Rick Dickson. If printed, the trees would tremble over how much paper it requires
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Anyway welcome Mr Harris. You are now on Team Tulane so I am pulling for you.