2023 Football Depth Chart Projection

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

2023 Football Depth Chart Projection

Post by tjtlja »

No, I am still soaking this year in but looking forward to 2023 (season tickets on sale NOW) and will give a projection of the depth chart while all of this is fresh on my mind. Please join in and elaborate on any changes you think will happen.

Offense -

QB - Pratt, Horton (will Ibieta be able to participate when camp starts in the fall)
RB - Clayton-Johnson, Celestine, Barnes, Cornist, Hughes (this one is wide open)
WR - 1st unit > Keys - Jackson - Brazzell / 2nd unit > Fleming - Rogers - P. Watts or Bohannon (this position will change based on who we sign in late period and if Phat Watts is coming back)
TE - Bauman, Brown, Gunter
OT - Tuggle or Wire
OG - Remetich or Ray (presuming Ray is coming back)
C - Haynesworth, Hurst
OG - Pines, Thomas or Cannon
OT - Green, Burns

Defense -

DE - Hodges, Fobbs-White or Garner or AJ Thomas
DT - Jenkins, Hamilton, Henderson, Champaigne
DT - Friloux, Taliancich, Hicks, Baudoin, Boyd
DE - Cooper, Anderson, Deal, Lunz
LB - 1st unit > Machado - Grubbs / 2nd unit > Platt - Love or Jean Claude Joseph or Makai Williams
DB's - 1st unit > Canady (if healthy) - Monroe - Robinson - Swanson - Hampton / 2nd unit > Douglas - Jahiem Johnson - Pleasant (if healthy) - Jai Eugene - Despanie / 3rd unit > Laister - Adams - Robinson - Webb - Moore/Summers

Special Teams

PK - Ambrosio
P/KO - Glover
LS - Hudak
PR - Jackson or Keys
KR - Keys and/or Bohanon
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: 2023 Football Depth Chart Projection

Post by Yankeewave »

Getting frixloux back will be huge.

Assume the LSU tackle and Northwestern DB will start.

I don’t know how good the depth is but the top 5-6 on the OL seems solid. I think Tuggle played well when healthy.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

Well, I’m convinced.

This looks like a Preseason Top 20 team to me.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Only disagree with two Deal plays Joker and is good at it Hicks has shown he is a solid Starter and will be hard to move out.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

QuarterbackU wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:29 pm Well, I’m convinced.

One "way too early top 25" list has us at 19.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

G-wave wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:28 pm Only disagree with two Deal plays Joker and is good at it Hicks has shown he is a solid Starter and will be hard to move out.
I agree about Deal. He played too much and too well to drop down the depth chart unless someone special takes his place
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Sophandros wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:39 pm
QuarterbackU wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:29 pm Well, I’m convinced.

One "way too early top 25" list has us at 19.
Soph, I think we deserve to be in the top 20 to start the season. We have a lot of good players coming back. Hope we are going to see some depth developing on the OL. Love to see Baudoin or Henderson move up the chain on the DL. It will be interesting to see what freshman emerges at the joker position. And the WR situation needs to be resolved in the late signing period. But it is great to see the talent across the board and the quality depth we have at multiple positions.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

For some reason I thought Ambrosio was gone. Glad he’s not. So nice to have a competent kicker
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Private Joker wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:01 am For some reason I thought Ambrosio was gone. Glad he’s not. So nice to have a competent kicker
Don't even think that! :shock: :shock: :shock:
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

If not mistaken, we're losing our top five tacklers on defense (Williams, Anderson, Brooks, Clark, Young). Hopefully getting some more help in the transfer portal.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

we are loaded on the defensive line next year with Friloux back.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:43 pm we are loaded on the defensive line next year with Friloux back.
We are, but the losses mentioned just above are big. I know a lot of this year's backups played a bit and are good, but that's a lot of experience, leadership, and heart to replace.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:00 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:43 pm we are loaded on the defensive line next year with Friloux back.
We are, but the losses mentioned just above are big. I know a lot of this year's backups played a bit and are good, but that's a lot of experience, leadership, and heart to replace.
I was more concerned with the off-field leadership we lose in those guys but having Pratt and Sincere back will help alleviate those losses. On the field, I think we have talent that can rival those guys without a big drop off.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:00 pm
Isn't that what every college goes through? Some areas get stronger, some weaker. Coaches need to coach no matter who's on field.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Since no one has demonstrated an ability to beat us, we remain tied for #1.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

Roller wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:52 pm Since no one has demonstrated an ability to beat us, we remain tied for #1.
Yeah, but so is UMass
ATSF_Greenie
Coach Level

Post by ATSF_Greenie »

FW wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:55 pm
Roller wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:52 pm Since no one has demonstrated an ability to beat us, we remain tied for #1.
Yeah, but so is UMass

Alcorn State says "hello" as well !!!
:jerry:
US NAVY VETERAN
TULANE ALUM (2006)
TAE-KWAN DO BLACK BELT
DODGE RAM TRUCK OWNER & FAN
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

I think we will be fine. In the secondary, we have Monroe, Robinson, Douglas, Canady, and Despanie who all played a lot of snaps. We added transfers in AJ Hampton from Northwestern and DII all-American Darius Swanson at safety. Staff is high on returning freshmen and the kids they just signed.

At LB, we have Machado, Platt, and Love coming back. The first two played a lot of snaps. We signed a tackling machine in Tyler Grubbs from La Tech. We added 3 talented recruits on signing day and also Mandel Eugene coming back.

Both position groups have a lot to live up to, but the talent is there. Who will become the vocal leaders?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

ATSF_Greenie wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:59 pm
FW wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:55 pm
Yeah, but so is UMass

Alcorn State says "hello" as well !!!
:jerry:
Exactly!
And as long as they remain undefeated, their vulnerability remains an unproved myth,
However, I will be surprised if they don't lose early and often. I presume that most people share that expectation. But because we're "most people" does not mean we're right--until it's proved definitively that they don't deserve a high ranking.
nolasilver
Navigator Level

Post by nolasilver »

Bump. Feel like things have settled in for the depth chart leading into spring practice. Added our new WR from texas A&am, blocking TE from usf, Safety Sam with Guidry. Miss anything ? How we feeling ?
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

I choose to be an optimist through a kind of necessity, because from my experience pessimism is a corrosive and damaging position to take – one that casts its shadow over all things, causing a kind of societal sickness, a contaminant that ultimately amplifies and glorifies the problems it professes to abhor.-- Nick Cave
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:04 am I choose to be an optimist through a kind of necessity, because from my experience pessimism is a corrosive and damaging position to take – one that casts its shadow over all things, causing a kind of societal sickness, a contaminant that ultimately amplifies and glorifies the problems it professes to abhor.-- Nick Cave
So, Mr. Cave, you're saying Ed Daniels interviewing Ron Hunter while Hunter lays on a couch like he's at a psychiatrist's office*** means everything is just fine in our quest to win the conference and make the NCAA? 8)

***this actually happened yesterday in case you didn't see it on the socials.
https://twitter.com/WGNOsports/status/1 ... -kaxvp7nZw

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

nolasilver wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:54 pm Bump. Feel like things have settled in for the depth chart leading into spring practice. Added our new WR from texas A&am, blocking TE from usf, Safety Sam with Guidry. Miss anything ? How we feeling ?
You could argue that we need another receiver but everything seems well balanced. I assume the coaches know how they’re going to get under the 85 limit.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Don't quite know how basketball sneaked into a football thread but I do believe this year's Tulane team will play in the NIT for the first time in more than 20 years and Hunter will become the first hoops coach for the Wave with a winning record to date for his career on Freret Street since Perry Clark by the time this season ends. Satisfied,no; progress, yes. And I do wish we could pick up one more WR, but if we haven't heard by now guess the coaches like where we stand.
Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Roster looks good. With the loss of so many leaders and a new DC, defensive identity and cohesion will be the most important factor in performance. I hope some guys are already stepping into the leadership roles and pushing their teammates.

I'd really like to see these guys show up strong early--and beat up Lane Kiffin's offense along the way.