Fear the Wave special campaigns

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Fear the Wave special campaigns

Unread post by randymc »

As of today, the Fear the Wave campaigns (spot funding campaigns) for hoops and baseball are collectively about 20 percent toward their lofty goals of raising $350,000 total in new NIL money.
I gave a pittance this a.m.
Please consider donating:
https://www.spotfund.com/story/9b47e586 ... 4220232dec
https://www.spotfund.com/story/7bd706b2 ... ID=jnp71st
randymc
President's Circle

Re: Fear the Wave special campaigns

Unread post by randymc »

actually, with the matching gifts that I understand are in the offing, according to FTW emails/postings, the twin campaigns are 21% of the way toward raising $550,000. Also, the way I comprehend the coming new standards of NIL in-house payments vs. third-party funds...the outside funds won't be bound by Title IX requirements of fair or equal treatment of men's and women's sports teams. I don't see third-party funds being eliminated by in-house direct payments to players.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I will make a suggestion to any of the Fear The Wave folks lurking.

I made an unsolicited $500 donation in May and have not received any communication back. I am not looking for a personalized thank you card (snail mail or email) but that should be a decent enough donation for a new donor to the Group to create some sort of standard reply that confirms receipt and that they may be reaching out more in the future with some updates, etc.

I previously just only gave directly to Green Wave Club/TAF.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

I did the same and would request the same.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

QuarterbackU wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:17 am I will make a suggestion to any of the Fear The Wave folks lurking.

I made an unsolicited $500 donation in May and have not received any communication back. I am not looking for a personalized thank you card (snail mail or email) but that should be a decent enough donation for a new donor to the Group to create some sort of standard reply that confirms receipt and that they may be reaching out more in the future with some updates, etc.

Just searched through my emails and the first time I gave at the end of 2022, I did receive a nice email from Kelly Comarda on behalf of the FTW Collective. Of course, Kelly is no longer involved, so it would have been nice to receive something when I made my donations on 12/8/23 and 5/26/24. As I mentioned on the gotula message board, I don't receive emails from the collective and I don't know why. I attempted 3X to offer my experience at selling and fundraising in pro and collegiate sports, but have never received a response. I guess they are busy.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

Well, that certainly is different than my experience. All 3 times I have contributed to the funds linked above I have received a thank you email and confirmation of the contribution. In addition to that I have gotten follow up emails asking me to spread the word about the campaigns as follows:
Hi Randy,

Thank you again for your donation to *CommitmentToExcellence on *spotfund. With your help, your donation can go much further!

Please consider sharing the campaign with your friends and family. Sharing the campaign only takes a second and can help the fundraiser raise up to 5x more.

We've provided some one-click sharelinks below. Please spread the word!
http://spot.fund/jnp71sc
or
http://spot.fund/fqxnxsc
Shu40
Breaker Level

Unread post by Shu40 »

Also it’s been since April 23 it seems since we got that last email. Lots has happened - a few new football transfers in, baseball etc.

Gotta be more consistent to drive engagement
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Just a thought, QBU and atx... y'all check your spam folder? 8)

Just thinking that this sort of correspondence seems likely to get flagged unless you've manually whitelisted their emails before.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

Checked my spam folder from 5/26 (date I made the donation) through 6/11 (today). Zero emails from FTW Collective.

I do have a receipt from Paypal on 5/26 of my $500 donation to FTW Booster Club Inc.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

using the spotfund donation link may get different treatment than if you give directly via the FTW website and its donation link. The spot fund link definitely generated a thank you and additional follow up emails as I already outlined.
I just sent $20 via paypal as a test directly via the FTW web site (not spot fund); and like you I got a paypal confirmation that 20 bucks went to Fear the Wave. In 2022, when I made a contribution to FTW via their then fledgling website, I did get a Kelly C thank you. Will see how my experience goes this time.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Since the Collective is a 501(c)(3), I assume they may have to file a public 990 eventually (if they collect $500k or more annually).

I don’t need to know but have been curious if most of these Collectives are just really top heavy from a handful of Whales and (while every donation is appreciated) the main focus is being the arm to compliantly distribute the Whale’s donations to the Student Athletes.

And if that is the case, it makes sense in a way the focus (with lean Human Resources) isn’t really built to make people giving a few hundred bucks here and there feel super engaged.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

QuarterbackU wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:17 am I will make a suggestion to any of the Fear The Wave folks lurking.

I don’t want to blame Willie Fritz, but when I made my first ever donation, Kelly Comarda also reached out to thank me, both through email and a Twitter direct message.

Btw, I did get the auto reply and a follow up email from the special campaign link.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:15 pm

I don’t want to blame Willie Fritz, but when I made my first ever donation, Kelly Comarda also reached out to thank me, both through email and a Twitter direct message.

Btw, I did get the auto reply and a follow up email from the special campaign link.
I had a similar experience to others...initial gift got a rather immediate acknowledgement; most recent gift, for twice the amount, got no reply...this was well before Kelly left. I'm hoping it's because they're so swamped with donations that they don't have the time to reply to all.
washwave
Breaker Level

Unread post by washwave »

I also made a few donations and never heard anything. Was wondering if it was just me. I certainly don't need a parade, but some acknowledgement would both be nice and also help me at tax time.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

washwave wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 5:40 pm I also made a few donations and never heard anything. Was wondering if it was just me. I certainly don't need a parade, but some acknowledgement would both be nice and also help me at tax time.
I am guessing in years past they didn’t send out a courtesy annual statement saying the cumulative amounts given to FTW and a statement that no direct benefits (like preferred seating) were received in return that would nullify it being tax deductible.

In my opinion, that should be their #1 priority to address with a typical disclaimer about consulting a tax professional with any questions (to remove their liability). People want the tax benefit and may not feel comfortable with just a PayPal receipt.

Another priority would be some guidance on how to get your employer to match if they match up to $XXX from employees to 501(c)(3)’s.

Additionally, the big miss was how to then sell premium items as fundraisers. Might be a terrible example: But a commemorative Football signed by all 5 Captains each year for $500. The Football itself costs $60 ($40 + $20 shipping) and then get the Captains to agree to split $190 amongst themselves (5) and the other $250 goes to the rest of the pool for that team.
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

I've received thank yous (not from Kelly)
FW
Cornerstone

Unread post by FW »

And this will be my monthly, please consider donating to these campaigns if you can. Everyone can obviously do whatever they want with their own money, but I don't understand holding off until you "see something" outlook. You're not going to see anything if they have no money to keep players or bring in new players. If you want to hold off, hold off giving money to the school. Not hold off giving to NIL.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

FW wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:06 pm And this will be my monthly, please consider donating to these campaigns if you can. Everyone can obviously do whatever they want with their own money, but I don't understand holding off until you "see something" outlook. You're not going to see anything if they have no money to keep players or bring in new players. If you want to hold off, hold off giving money to the school. Not hold off giving to NIL.
Also worth noting that if we ever are in the market for a new coach, anyone we would want will be savvy enough to take a look at the NIL pool before accepting the job.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

For those who give to the Back to Back spot fund FTW baseball NIL campaign, they are giving away 5 Tulane baseball batting helmets (signed by team members) via a drawing to choose from among those fans who contribute.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

I had to contact Michael Arata directly to get a letter for tax purposes. He was apologetic. This was not an issue with Kelly Comarda. I just donated again, so I’ll see if things have improved.