G5 Top 25 Coming Soon?

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
waverider
Cornerstone

G5 Top 25 Coming Soon?

Unread post by waverider »

I don’t like G5 conferences throwing in the towel and admitting that the G5 will never be the same as even the B2 (bottom 2 power conferences).
As the article states, this allows ESPN to sell a Tuesday MAC game as #5 vs #9 or whatever. Unfortunately, that will mean as much as having the #3 FCS team going against another ranked FCS team.
Preliminary groundwork already is underway for the American, Conference-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and SunBelt conferences to have an official Group of Five Top 25 national poll, with voting open only to head coaches in those leagues. Independent programs UConn and UMass also will be included in the rankings, pushing the number of teams involved to be approximately 64.
https://footballscoop.com/news/group-of ... new-top-25
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: G5 Top 25 Coming Soon?

Unread post by PeteRasche »

Does this mean they don't intend on (care if) any AP pollsters vote for any G5 teams in the normal poll? Like by starting this poll, they're saying "it's fine with us if you don't vote for any G5 teams in your poll"?

I'm sure the intention isn't that a really great G5 team would be left out of the AP poll, but you know dang well that if Tulane beats both KSU and Oklahoma, there'd still be a group of AP pollsters who'd be happy to leave us out of the AP under the guise of "well, they're #1 in the G5 poll, so they don't need my vote here."
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm Does this mean they don't intend on (care if) any AP pollsters vote for any G5 teams in the normal poll? Like by starting this poll, they're saying "it's fine with us if you don't vote for any G5 teams in your poll"?

I'm sure the intention isn't that a really great G5 team would be left out of the AP poll, but you know dang well that if Tulane beats both KSU and Oklahoma, there'd still be a group of AP pollsters who'd be happy to leave us out of the AP under the guise of "well, they're #1 in the G5 poll, so they don't need my vote here."
ditto.
waverider
Cornerstone

PeteRasche wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:51 pm Does this mean they don't intend on (care if) any AP pollsters vote for any G5 teams in the normal poll? Like by starting this poll, they're saying "it's fine with us if you don't vote for any G5 teams in your poll"?

I thought the exact same thing. This is basically waving the white flag saying “we don’t belong”, or at least that will be the perception and excuse for excluding G5 teams from everything.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

This is a truly terrible idea, and an admission of permanent basement status by these leagues. I am sure it is driven by ESPN but only further reinforces the urgent and desperate need to move up.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 am This is a truly terrible idea, and an admission of permanent basement status by these leagues. I am sure it is driven by ESPN but only further reinforces the urgent and desperate need to move up.
I'd like to think this wouldn't have happened on Aresco's watch
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

WaveProf wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:42 am
GretnaGrn wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:13 am This is a truly terrible idea, and an admission of permanent basement status by these leagues. I am sure it is driven by ESPN but only further reinforces the urgent and desperate need to move up.
While I don’t know how much he could do to stop it, but he certainly would not go along with it.
Tulane Greenbackers

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:06 pm
WaveProf wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:42 am
While I don’t know how much he could do to stop it, but he certainly would not go along with it.
As commish of one of the two best g5s he could have stopped it as easily as asking his coaches to not participate, this delegitamizing the poll
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I’m surprised no one noticed that no named person is quoted in that ‘scoop “article.” No one who works at an AAC or MWC program would support this notion publicly, I doubt many officials at Sunbelt programs would either.

I think this was gotten up by some SEC types. Derek Dooley is named in these stories and the author or one of the authors is based in Tennessee. If this spreads watch for it to get yelled up by Josh Pate of 247 sports if he hasn’t already.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Well, I don’t know if this was intentional or not, but it was pointed out that the AAC, MWC and CUSA football championship games are all at the same time on that December Friday night with the winner of one of them potentially being the G5 rep in the CFP.

This is essentially like a play-in round without head-to-head matchups.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 9:54 pm... the AAC, MWC and CUSA football championship games are all at the same time on that December Friday night
P2 fans and media shills: "Look at how bad the ratings are for all the G5 championship games!"

(ignoring the fact they are concurrent and therefore split viewership)

Sadly, these games were probably moved to this spot to clear space for several-hours-long pregame shows for P2 championship games.