View of our chances to make the expanded playoff

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
doncecco
President's Circle

View of our chances to make the expanded playoff

Unread post by doncecco »

Bring home da Wave!
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Re: View of our chances to make the expanded playoff

Unread post by Sophandros »

The Green Wave replaced a proven coach (Houston-bound Willie Fritz) with a proven coach (Troy's Jon Sumrall), who brought in blue-chip transfers such as quarterback Ty Thompson and receiver Mario Williams. Upset either Kansas State or Oklahoma in September, and they move to the top of the résumé pile.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Roller
Cornerstone

Unread post by Roller »

Sophandros wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 8:12 pm
The Green Wave replaced a proven coach (Houston-bound Willie Fritz) with a proven coach (Troy's Jon Sumrall), who brought in blue-chip transfers such as quarterback Ty Thompson and receiver Mario Williams. Upset either Kansas State or Oklahoma in September, and they move to the top of the résumé pile.
Yep.
nolasilver
Coach Level

Unread post by nolasilver »

They gave a lot of credit to other teams for what they’ve done in the past, but not us. While, Im not too worried about this list, I am confused why the heck JMU would be above us. Replacing a head coach and lots of talent is very hard to do for most G5’s. We lucked out with a coaching hire and threw money at the roster problem.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

nolasilver wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 am They gave a lot of credit to other teams for what they’ve done in the past, but not us. While, Im not too worried about this list, I am confused why the heck JMU would be above us. Replacing a head coach and lots of talent is very hard to do for most G5’s. We lucked out with a coaching hire and threw money at the roster problem.
If they did this as a vote it's lazy work. The only espn person I really trust to cover the g5 well is bill Connelly because of his history of doing so. So if they assigned it to a single author other than him it's also likely to be mailed in
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 6:15 am
nolasilver wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 12:27 am They gave a lot of credit to other teams for what they’ve done in the past, but not us. While, Im not too worried about this list, I am confused why the heck JMU would be above us. Replacing a head coach and lots of talent is very hard to do for most G5’s. We lucked out with a coaching hire and threw money at the roster problem.
If they did this as a vote it's lazy work. The only espn person I really trust to cover the g5 well is bill Connelly because of his history of doing so. So if they assigned it to a single author other than him it's also likely to be mailed in
I’m thinking it’s what you said and basically involves looking at their schedule and thinking “this is pretty easy” and that was their “research”.

K St is one of the 10 Potential Playoff Bye teams. They are getting a lot of preseason hype. An upset over them would be huge.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

My biggest takeaway is that pretty much all of the G5s above us have one or two P4 teams they play and if they beat them, they'll justify their ranking here. The thing is, I really don't think many, if any, will. For all the hubbub over Boise for getting a QB we passed on (apparently could have had him over Thompson but there were off-field concerns), they're gonna get shellacked by Oregon and that will likely knock them well back in the chase, and then they play Wazzu and Oregon State as well. They probably have to win both those latter two along with sweeping the MWC in order to contend. App State is hyped every year and occasionally beats a P4 (this year's opportunity is Clemson), but they *always* lose a conference game or two. Of that list, Fresno probably has the best chance because of having UCLA at the end of the year; an early season stomping by Michigan will be glossed over if Michigan is still a top 3 program, and if they run the table they'll climb into the poll by mid-November, then play UCLA who is a bad team with an impressive name. Beating them would be a huge boost for Fresno simply due to reputation.

Obviously we're in the same boat... Lose to both KSU and OU and we're probably done with the whole CFP conversation before October. But I tend to think an 11-1 regular season (plus conference championship) puts us in the playoff over anyone but 13-0 Boise or Fresno.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 am
I’m thinking it’s what you said and basically involves looking at their schedule and thinking “this is pretty easy” and that was their “research”.

K St is one of the 10 Potential Playoff Bye teams. They are getting a lot of preseason hype. An upset over them would be huge.
I’ll do you one better while playing make believe. Go 12-0 and watch KSU win the B12 and we get a playoff bye because they can’t move them ahead of us. Pete will roll over in his grave preemptively
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:18 pm
waverider wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:00 am

I’ll do you one better while playing make believe. Go 12-0 and watch KSU win the B12 and we get a playoff bye because they can’t move them ahead of us. Pete will roll over in his grave preemptively
We were a quality K St loss once before…
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:18 pm I’ll do you one better while playing make believe. Go 12-0 and watch KSU win the B12 and we get a playoff bye because they can’t move them ahead of us. Pete will roll over in his grave preemptively
If we're 13-0 AAC champs and KSU is 12-1 Big 12 champs, we'd definitely be ahead of KSU the whole way because we'd have also gotten a huge jump from having beaten Oklahoma as well, and KSU actually doesn't have that impressive of a schedule. With the craziness of the Big 12 expansion and UT/OU leaving, there might not even be a ranked team in their schedule (until the CG), but winning the conference would absolutely push us forward.

If they were still playing last year's schedule and their win included UT and OU, they probably would have jumped us in the polls. It's a curious question: if we hadn't lost to USM in 2022, would we have stayed ahead of them until losing to UCF? I'm betting at some point they'd have jumped us.
nolasilver
Coach Level

Unread post by nolasilver »

Outside of Utah (and a lesser extent OK State), the big 12 is very “mid” (as the kids say). UCF down the line could become a big deal especially as Miami and Florida struggle.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Unread post by Wavefan »

nolasilver wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:05 pm Outside of Utah (and a lesser extent OK State), the big 12 is very “mid” (as the kids say). UCF down the line could become a big deal especially as Miami and Florida struggle.
Ucf has a window but long term fsu, Florida, and Miami and possibly usf will dilute too much of the Florida talent that doesn’t leave the state. And everyone recruits Florida. Big 12 made a reach that is very iffy.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

I agree with wave fan here. A big struggle of the Florida schools is how National recruiting has become. It used to be no more than two of those three could be National title contenders at once and tbe third would be bad because that was how much talent there was to go around in state. Now I think it's more like one can be a title contender, one ok and one bad. There are too many other schools pulling away key players at the margin. Ucf has entered that same market with less ability to go National effectively.

Because the b12 in its current form is so even competitively, I do think ucf could remain very relevant in that league. The bigger issue no school in the b12 recruits well enough to actually challenge for a national title. The same will be true of the acc when fsu, Miami and Clemson leave. When that happens the b12 will be clearly the third best league as the remnants of the acc won't be able to match up with the the broad midsection of the b12
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

No chance after this year after today’s ruling. Unfortunately, revenue sharing will eliminate all G’s with the exception of 2-3. Was told our chances are very slim due to Harris being in charge. Fritz politicking for his guy was a sign of things to come.

Enjoy Tulane sports this year! It makes me so mad and so sad at the same time. Maybe it is time for another protest on St. Charles Ave.