Rowan Brumbaugh commits to Men’s Basketball

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
doc
President's Circle

Rowan Brumbaugh commits to Men’s Basketball

Unread post by doc »

Tulane got a commitment from former top 100 recruit Rowan Brumbaugh. Rowan Brumbaugh is a 6-4 190# PG who committed to Texas out of high school, but redshirted due to injuries. He transferred to Georgetown where he had a productive freshman season. He had offers out of high school from schools like Kansas, Creighton, Miami, Maryland, Wake Forest, Providence, Butler, Seton Hall, and Marquette. The staff has been recruiting him since he went into the portal. Michigan wanted him to transfer there.He should start immediately. This is a big commitment for HC Hunter and staff. Tulane has not had a PG like Rowan Brumbaugh in HC Hunter’s time here. I have watched video of him for several weeks. He is a high IQ PG, not flashy, but very cerebral. He understands spacing and has high court awareness.He is a good passer, and makes up for his lack of athleticism with his smart play. If I had to compare him to anyone, he reminds me of a very young Luka Doncic. He also reminds me of a Villanova-type PG (Caleb Daniels maybe?).He played high school basketball in Massachusetts.This is a big commitment.
Last edited by doc on Mon May 06, 2024 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: Rowan Brumbaugh commits to Men’s Basketball

Unread post by Baywave1 »

No doubt Hunter can recruit.

Separately any remote chance James returns or is he definitely gone?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

All well and good doc, but if 6 or 7 brand-new guys can't absolutely master the matchup zone - a defense that this past year's team full of guys who'd been together for over a year couldn't play well enough to succeed - we're still not a postseason team. We will lose every game we trail with three minutes left, we'll get crushed on the boards and be near the bottom of the NCAA in rebounding margin and offensive boards/second-chance points allowed. Basically all the stats that led to us stinking last year have not been remedied (or simply can't be) by recruiting.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:06 pm All well and good doc, but if 6 or 7 brand-new guys can't absolutely master the matchup zone - a defense that this past year's team full of guys who'd been together for over a year couldn't play well enough to succeed - we're still not a postseason team. We will lose every game we trail with three minutes left, we'll get crushed on the boards and be near the bottom of the NCAA in rebounding margin and offensive boards/second-chance points allowed. Basically all the stats that led to us stinking last year have not been remedied (or simply can't be) by recruiting.
Not to mention, the team lead the conference in scoring so just adding guys that can score won’t take us to the next level.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

we will see.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I think we already know
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I cannot ever remember Tulane with at least 5 Top 100 high school players on their roster as Hunter and Company have now brought in, unless perhaps it was in the Perry Clark era when Childs, Honeycutt, Allen, Pointer Williams and Cameron (Rasche would make 6, smile) were on the roster. I believe the constant repetition that Tulane basketball cannot improve is a flawed argument. Each team is different. I am excited by the talent the Wave coaches are bringing in, especially in an era of NIL largesse. If you watch film on any of the new recruits you'd see a group that when they play together can win. Brumbaugh, Kyle Greene, Kam Williams (rated 199), Kaleb Banks, Mari Jordan and holdover Gregg Glenn are the Top 100 guys. Tyler Ringgold and Michael Eley have some hops and should contribute off the bench, as could little-used Asher Woods. I am excited to see what leaps ahead Spencer Elliott and Percy Daniels can make. I'm hoping Tulane can bring in another big guy (although when the going price tag for what Pete R. covets is probably seven figures in NIL $$ that Tulane doesn't have it'll be tough). So, with that see you guys next March to say I told you so, wink. :wink: :angel: :dots:
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Good brief for optimism. Thanks.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

now if we can just find an over-achiever like Carlin Hartman willing to throw his body into scorer's tables diving for loose balls, the Wave could be in business. Those were the days. I am hoping Tulane brings in a 6-11 rebounder/shot blocker and a 6-3" to 6-7" scorer or combo guard to round out the 13-man roster for 2024-25.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

I do appreciate the optimism Randy, but it's a hopeless cause. Hunter isn't going to get a big man because he doesn't want one. He has publicly said this in T-P interviews. His ideal team is five 6'7 swing types who are long on defense and can shoot the three or slash. He has stated that rebounding is not a priority in his system and that the defensive steals and high scoring can overcome it. He has no intention of changing.

The problem is that it doesn't work. Personnel makes no difference. We were literally bottom 5% (if not bottom 5 overall!) out of like ~360 teams last year in multiple categories related to rebounding and second chance points. We lost at least 5 games (probably more) by less points than the second-chance points differential. In other words, his refusal to prioritize rebounding was literally the reason we were so bad, yet he refuses to change or adapt.

He plays one defense. One. No matter time or score. If we're down two possessions with three minutes left, we lose (unless the opponent draws fouls and misses all their FTs), because the opponent can simply stand at half court and dribble 25 seconds off the clock every possession. No urgency by us, no care about getting the ball or saving time. More games than not, we stand back in our zone, watch the opponent drain 25 seconds, then they drive and kick for a wide open 3... and now we're down 3 possessions with even less time to catch up. What? Seriously, and I'm not even joking, I started turning off my TV last season when we were down in the final three minutes, for fear I'd throw my remote at the TV or scream something I don't want my kids to hear. And we were indeed 0-fer in those games. Again - no amount of talent can overcome this. It's the system that's the problem, not the talent.

And if all of this weren't enough, we play our best 3 or 4 players 35+ minutes per game. When you rely on the three, the one thing you can't afford is fatigue. But by mid-February, all our scorers are starting to fade, simply due to a season of playing so many minutes. Weren't we like top 5 in returning starter minutes last year or something like that? Because he doesn't use subs at all. They're were actually times two years ago when it appeared he'd pull Tylan Pope because he was rebounding too much. So now we're presumably tied for dead last in returning starter minutes with all those other portal victim programs...

Oh, and lest I forget. Hunter also stated in T-P interviews that his defense takes a while to learn, and early lumps (losses) were to be expected. Two problems with that: one, it's the portal era, so everyone now has to deal with lots of new players. You need a system that players can master quickly and begin to gel. And two, we're in the NET rating era now, and early bad losses are a death knell to postseason chances unless you're in a P6 hoop league. So we lose a few OOC cupcake games that Hunter waves off as "oh, we're young and learning the system" and we're absolutely already eliminated from even the NIT. This is different than even 10 years ago, but it's the reality and it makes Hunter's system even a worse concept.

There. Convinced?
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

I am convinced. Beautifully said.

Pete, get on the phone and call Fitts and Harris asking for an interview. You should be coaching this team.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Pete - I think you make a lot of valid points, you always have - but just FYI - Tulane offered 7-0 250# C Stefan Cicic on his official visit to Tulane last week. He is a 2024 HS SR from the Chicago area. Miami (FL), GA Tech, Bradley, and others are very involved.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

tjtlja wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:34 am Pete, get on the phone and call Fitts and Harris asking for an interview. You should be coaching this team.
Ha! No thanks. Doc and Randy could co-coach though!

doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 am Pete - I think you make a lot of valid points, you always have - but just FYI - Tulane offered 7-0 250# C Stefan Cicic on his official visit to Tulane last week. He is a 2024 HS SR from the Chicago area. Miami (FL), GA Tech, Bradley, and others are very involved.
Does he like to play outside, handle the ball, and shoot threes? Or would he be a bench warmer like our previous tall guys?
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

He is an inside player with good footwork and has good timing to contest shots in the paint. It is hard to judge his success at the next level from video, because he has been playing against players much shorter than himself. He looks like a classical post player, not a stretch 4.
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

From my memory (which can certainly be faulty), the idea of a team of 5 athletic 6-7 players was a Denny Crum philosophy at Louisville which he learned from John Wooden, in a period where there were very few really dominant big men. Crum had success with teams like Dr Dunkenstein and the Doctors of Dunk. The idea I believe was to be able to switch all screens and not create matchup issues. The Hal and Scooter McCray teams at Louisville were examples of that. Even Pervis “Never Nervous” Ellison was an undersized big man.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:36 pm I do appreciate the optimism Randy, but it's a hopeless cause. Hunter isn't going to get a big man because he doesn't want one. He has publicly said this in T-P interviews. His ideal team is five 6'7 swing types who are long on defense and can shoot the three or slash. He has stated that rebounding is not a priority in his system and that the defensive steals and high scoring can overcome it. He has no intention of changing.

The problem is that it doesn't work. Personnel makes no difference. We were literally bottom 5% (if not bottom 5 overall!) out of like ~360 teams last year in multiple categories related to rebounding and second chance points. We lost at least 5 games (probably more) by less points than the second-chance points differential. In other words, his refusal to prioritize rebounding was literally the reason we were so bad, yet he refuses to change or adapt.

He plays one defense. One. No matter time or score. If we're down two possessions with three minutes left, we lose (unless the opponent draws fouls and misses all their FTs), because the opponent can simply stand at half court and dribble 25 seconds off the clock every possession. No urgency by us, no care about getting the ball or saving time. More games than not, we stand back in our zone, watch the opponent drain 25 seconds, then they drive and kick for a wide open 3... and now we're down 3 possessions with even less time to catch up. What? Seriously, and I'm not even joking, I started turning off my TV last season when we were down in the final three minutes, for fear I'd throw my remote at the TV or scream something I don't want my kids to hear. And we were indeed 0-fer in those games. Again - no amount of talent can overcome this. It's the system that's the problem, not the talent.

And if all of this weren't enough, we play our best 3 or 4 players 35+ minutes per game. When you rely on the three, the one thing you can't afford is fatigue. But by mid-February, all our scorers are starting to fade, simply due to a season of playing so many minutes. Weren't we like top 5 in returning starter minutes last year or something like that? Because he doesn't use subs at all. They're were actually times two years ago when it appeared he'd pull Tylan Pope because he was rebounding too much. So now we're presumably tied for dead last in returning starter minutes with all those other portal victim programs...

Oh, and lest I forget. Hunter also stated in T-P interviews that his defense takes a while to learn, and early lumps (losses) were to be expected. Two problems with that: one, it's the portal era, so everyone now has to deal with lots of new players. You need a system that players can master quickly and begin to gel. And two, we're in the NET rating era now, and early bad losses are a death knell to postseason chances unless you're in a P6 hoop league. So we lose a few OOC cupcake games that Hunter waves off as "oh, we're young and learning the system" and we're absolutely already eliminated from even the NIT. This is different than even 10 years ago, but it's the reality and it makes Hunter's system even a worse concept.

There. Convinced?
At the risk of being optimistic (I'm not, and your relentless Hunter critiques have been my favorite thing about this board since football ended), I'm not so sure that I'd put that much stock in the things Hunter says. There's nothing coaches love more than excuses--does the system really take a long time to learn or does he just like to bring that excuse out when there's a bad loss? Does he really not want to rebound or does he just say that because he knows he doesn't have a good rebounding team (/will only play his best 5 guys the whole game and those 5 are not equipped to rebound)? I also think there's a chance with all these new players to have some new energy...James/Forbes/Cross played a lot of games (and minutes :dots: ) under Hunter and it wouldn't surprise me if he wore thin...a new group may be more receptive.
atxwave
Riptide Level

Unread post by atxwave »

I'm convinced, but what do I know....i've only watched and seen every game play out just like Pete laid it out.

PeteRasche wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:36 pm I do appreciate the optimism Randy, but it's a hopeless cause. Hunter isn't going to get a big man because he doesn't want one. He has publicly said this in T-P interviews. His ideal team is five 6'7 swing types who are long on defense and can shoot the three or slash. He has stated that rebounding is not a priority in his system and that the defensive steals and high scoring can overcome it. He has no intention of changing.

There. Convinced?
doc
President's Circle

Unread post by doc »

Hal McRae was a baseball player- I meant to say Rodney and Scooter McCray….. My Bad
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:36 am
PeteRasche wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:32 am
doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 amTulane offered 7-0 250# C Stefan Cicic on his official visit to Tulane last week. He is a 2024 HS SR from the Chicago area. Miami (FL), GA Tech, Bradley, and others are very involved.
Does he like to play outside, handle the ball, and shoot threes? Or would he be a bench warmer like our previous tall guys?
He is an inside player with good footwork and has good timing to contest shots in the paint. It is hard to judge his success at the next level from video, because he has been playing against players much shorter than himself. He looks like a classical post player, not a stretch 4.
So he's a bench warmer. 8)
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:54 pm
doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:36 am
PeteRasche wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:32 am
doc wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 10:11 amTulane offered 7-0 250# C Stefan Cicic on his official visit to Tulane last week. He is a 2024 HS SR from the Chicago area. Miami (FL), GA Tech, Bradley, and others are very involved.
So he's a bench warmer. 8)
48th ranked center, nationally
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest