John Curtis QB Dagan Bruno Commits

In memory of Wayne Picou, this forum is dedicated to all Green Wave recruiting and signing.
waverider
Cornerstone

John Curtis QB Dagan Bruno Commits

Unread post by waverider »

Announced on Twitter. Doesn’t say if it’s scholarship or PWO (I think I’m certain in saying it’s a scholarship). I think he is a good basketball player as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
atxwave
Riptide Level

Re: John Curtis QB Dagan Bruno Commits

Unread post by atxwave »

this kid is a really good athlete and smart! football, basketball, and baseball
waverider
Cornerstone

Apparently he’s a pretty good pitcher too, just having pitched a 1-hitter recently.

Maybe Uhlman and Sumrall worked out a deal to get him in on scholarship.
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Based on timing and athletic profile, I guess this is a most appropriate use of a legislative scholarship. I hope he plays baseball too.

Congrats, Dagan
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

from Louisiana Football magazine about a month ago:
https://www.lafootballmagazine.com/news ... agan-bruno
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Article says PWO and that is reported elsewhere as well as Brother Martin lineman

I applaud more locals on the team. But what is most pleasing and surprising is how Fritz and now Sumrall have totally vitalized PWO program from where it stood with Johnson.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:24 am Article says PWO and that is reported elsewhere as well as Brother Martin lineman

I applaud more locals on the team. But what is most pleasing and surprising is how Fritz and now Sumrall have totally vitalized PWO program from where it stood with Johnson.
Garret Mmahat and Luke Besh show that local kids on PWOs can get in the lineup.. work hard and compete every day.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:53 am Based on timing and athletic profile, I guess this is a most appropriate use of a legislative scholarship. I hope he plays baseball too.

Congrats, Dagan
Good point about legislative scholarship, but if he's serious about FB/if the FB team is serious about him than I don't see him playing baseball. Also, if he plays in a football game then his (theoretical) legislative scholarship counts towards our 85 limit.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Are you sure about playing changing nature of aid?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:46 pm Are you sure about playing changing nature of aid?
It doesn't change the nature of the aid (he'd still be on legislative scholarship) but it would count against our 85 limit. Otherwise, we (well, not us, but Alabama) would just give out 50 "academic" scholarships every year to people who happened to be great at football.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Understood but unless football has special rules baseball has been doing this for decades including the current year where six or so players are on legislative scholarship.

General NCAA rule for academic aid is it must be open to all eligible students not just athletes. Legislative and mayoral scholarships clearly meet those rules where perhaps only 10% go to D1 athletes.

Could be wrong so I welcome correction. Not that I expect Bruno to hit the field soon but it’s nice to have a strong walk-on program.
waverider
Cornerstone

ml wave wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:09 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:46 pm Are you sure about playing changing nature of aid?
It doesn't change the nature of the aid (he'd still be on legislative scholarship) but it would count against our 85 limit. Otherwise, we (well, not us, but Alabama) would just give out 50 "academic" scholarships every year to people who happened to be great at football.
It could still come from the legislative pool of money but count towards the football limit if he’s on a football scholarship. At least that’s how I remember it. In a way, it would make sense to change the source of aid because if it counts towards the 85, you may as well give a football scholarship rather than tie up two types of aid.

I don’t know if that applies in this situation since he isn’t given a football scholarship. He may still count as a walk on and not count towards the 85.
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:00 pm Understood but unless football has special rules baseball has been doing this for decades including the current year where six or so players are on legislative scholarship.

General NCAA rule for academic aid is it must be open to all eligible students not just athletes. Legislative and mayoral scholarships clearly meet those rules where perhaps only 10% go to D1 athletes.

Could be wrong so I welcome correction. Not that I expect Bruno to hit the field soon but it’s nice to have a strong walk-on program.
Football does have special rules about this that baseball doesn't. If he ever plays, it would count against the 85. He can be on the roster and not count, but can't play a down. That rule doesn't exist for baseball, which has several players on legislative schollys (other baseball programs do this as well; Rice immediately comes to mind as one that uses a similar program).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Thanks for clarifying. I hope they can play and management of this 85 limit becomes a real challenge.
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Unread post by Luvs da Wave »

There is no “pool of money” for legislative scholarships. They are simply a waiver of tuition. It was part of the deal when we acquired the university of Louisiana. The state does not pay any money, but it is allowed to nominate certain people to attend without tuition. I had one for a couple of years. Every legislator can designate once student. The mayor and governor have multiple nominees.