Selecting the next TULANE AD

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
nolasilver
Coach Level

Re: Selecting the next TULANE AD

Unread post by nolasilver »

tjtlja wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 am They might as well hire the national search firm for coaches. Like to have one in place before the early signing date.
I think Tulane has an ok chance at keeping Willie. Northwestern, Arkansas both kept their coaches. Miss state has chadwell from liberty as #1 target. I think we can fend off Syracuse if they come. Texas am has Traylor as #1. If Kansas or kstate lose their coaches that could be concerning.

I don’t think having gosha passed over as ad is a big deal. I’m sure they ran this new ad by Fritz as well. I also bet gosha sticks around for atleast the year.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

So do we assume our board just assumes NIU’s board really knows how to hire ADs? 8)
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

I wouldn’t assume Traylor is A&M’s choice. The Chadwell thing might have legs, though.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

IF we lose Coach Fritz, we are sure as hell in a lot better position to attract quality candidates than a year ago (based on continuing to establish a winning program).

Regardless, what happens, I appreciate him seeing last year through and giving us 2023.

Again, this is Boise State 2007 (parallels in so many ways). Boise keeping Chris Peterson happened for a while after the magical Fiesta Bowl.

This week and possibly next week we are playing with house money again talking about Tulane Football proving something. Coach Fritz (and Troy D as well deserves credit) in 15 months have destroyed the “typical Tulane”, “1998 was a fluke”, “never shows up in big games”, etc. narratives that we always had to hear.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:19 am For those who can’t tell above, source is Pete Thamel tweet. Good reporter so no reason to doubt it. Note he uses word “targeting” so it’s a way from completion
Guerry Smith tweeted that he’s not able to confirm this but that his sources say it’s trending in Harris’ direction.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
speckled trout
Navigator Level

Unread post by speckled trout »

Of course we all hope Fritz stays but it’s good to know we will have a proven D1 AD to make the next hire if it comes to that
"You are unique, just like everyone else"
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

It does seem a tad coincidental.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I don't understand what you're saying there Gsx; can you elaborate (maybe I am a bit slow today). I did just turn 70.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Don't know enough to comment on David Harris.

Only that is seems important to have some in place for 1) the carousel, and 2) the potential massive fund raising opportunity of a second NY6 (1-0) trip.

FOMO is real among alums who missed out on the trip to Dallas last year.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

+1 on FOMO NY6 Bowl

Alums and students and Tulane fans

Because Atlanta is a massive airhub like Dallas, I could see Tulane bringing 30,000
tkruebbe
Breaker Level

Unread post by tkruebbe »

If Harris is the new AD and Fritz leaves maybe we can hire Traylor from UTSA. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MAY THE WAVE LIVE FOREVER
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

randymc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 pm I don't understand what you're saying there Gsx; can you elaborate (maybe I am a bit slow today). I did just turn 70.
Dannen's successor at NIU
Dannen's successor at Tulane
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Unread post by GreenWave80 »

GSx wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:04 pm It does seem a tad coincidental.
If it is Harris, our local media better make damn sure to ask what his plans are regarding getting us into a power conference.
GreenWave80
Breaker Level

Unread post by GreenWave80 »

GSx wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:34 pm
randymc wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:08 pm I don't understand what you're saying there Gsx; can you elaborate (maybe I am a bit slow today). I did just turn 70.
Dannen's successor at NIU
Dannen's successor at Tulane
Might find out somewhere down the line that he's Dannen's cousin and he's been setting him up for promotions for years.
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

thanks GSx
murphwave
Coach Level

Unread post by murphwave »

Willie has had a great run here and turned us around, but his overall record will scare away a lot of P5 donor bases. I think we will have to worry more about ACC teams than SEC/Big12 teams, and we can compete $$ with the former (case in point, GT last year).
BS '99
MBA 2007
Coach Level

Unread post by 1401973 »

My God there are a bunch of conspiratorial whisperers around here!
And so fast on your feet! One second it was the Gosha conspiracy - Dannen the puppetmaster - and now minutes (literally) after the news seems to break on Harris a NEW conspiracy.
That's the make up on this board. But really thin sauce. Cringy.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Wrong!!

What do you think the consequences of a Cone of Silence are? Your stakeholders who care will try to get news where and how they can. For better or worse
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I already know all I need to know about Mr. Harris’ character.

He grew up in Baton Rouge and decided to not go to LSU for college and instead go to school at a LSU rival.

He’s got my endorsement as being someone who has made sound decisions from a young age.

I want an AD that doesn’t see our neighbor to the West as a friend.
Last edited by QuarterbackU on Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LSU Law Greenie »

If it is indeed Mr. Harris as the new AD, I'm okay with that. We definitely could have gotten someone worse or less impressive on paper. I'm glad we didn't hire someone with Tulane ties/connections. I think part of the reason TD was successful here is b/c he didn't know about our can't win mentality before he took the job.

I remember having a conversation with TD when he first got to Tulane and it really bothered him that the Tulane fan base expected to lose all the time (50 plus years of bad football will do that to you). He felt early on that part of what he had to do was change the mindset of people that you could actually win at Tulane.

And win we have, at least the last 2 years. To think in all the years of Tulane football we had never won 20 games over the course of 2 seasons - these are definitely the best of times!
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Interesting aspects of this. Assuming Thamel’s reporting is correct, this news was leaked to a national reporter not a local one.

That says volumes. When local media invest sufficient resources to cover Tulane then we will see local media break real news about Tulane. H

Instead we have a bizarre circumstance where Tulane PTBs give this info to national media which candidly help each side out personally and professionally.

Do you think Scott C cared more about being on the front page of the TP receiving the Loving Cup or the cover of Time Magazine being the most bodacious college president ever?
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

The mistake I made was I actually believed we had thorough local reporting and relied on the published list of interviewees. Combined with White’s very public National withdrawal (he learned from his Dad. Don’t waste your time on local media when you’re not the big dog in town), he clearly knew he wasn’t getting the job.

So the only name that made sense to be hired on the locally published and (“confirmed !”) list was Gosha. Wrong! Because i ignored the Cone of Silence.

If and when Willie leaves (I hope never), only rely on national media for real breaking news if and until the local media proves it will cover Tulane like the Saints and LSU
LSU Law Greenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LSU Law Greenie »

Guerry has confirmed we will hire UNI AD David Harris.
My name is T. J. Acosta and I approve this message!
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Now, if we could just establish a recruiting and coaching pipeline like the one we’ve established for ADs.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
nolasilver
Coach Level

Unread post by nolasilver »

1401973 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:10 pm My God there are a bunch of conspiratorial whisperers around here!
And so fast on your feet! One second it was the Gosha conspiracy - Dannen the puppetmaster - and now minutes (literally) after the news seems to break on Harris a NEW conspiracy.
That's the make up on this board. But really thin sauce. Cringy.
Can someone explain this to me ? ELI 5