Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
User avatar
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle
Posts: 9693
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:50 am
Location: West

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

Coach Dilfer, who once threw 4 TD & 18 INT in a single NFL season in 1995, seems to be the AAC media darling right now.

ESPN2 will be showing Dilfer's UAB team again on Saturday (vs USF).

Hopefully, this will be the last time UAB is featured on ESPN2 this season.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Baywave1
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12661
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Baywave1 »

As long as they telecast AAC teams
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 31046
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by PeteRasche »

QuarterbackU wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:41 pm Coach Dilfer, who once threw 4 TD & 18 INT in a single NFL season in 1995, seems to be the AAC media darling right now.
ALERT!!!
 
That's amazing because ESPN never overhypes bad teams just because the coach once was an NFL player.
 
SARCASM!
***cough cough**Prime**cough**
User avatar
DCGreenie
President's Circle
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:48 pm

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by DCGreenie »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:50 pm
QuarterbackU wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 1:41 pm Coach Dilfer, who once threw 4 TD & 18 INT in a single NFL season in 1995, seems to be the AAC media darling right now.
ALERT!!!
 
That's amazing because ESPN never overhypes bad teams just because the coach once was an NFL player.
 
SARCASM!
***cough cough**Prime**cough**
Hyping a supreme jerk, egomaniac, and destroyer of what is left of college football.
User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by CT Wave »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
wavedom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 am
tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:16 pm How was the crowd yesterday in the stadium? For the first time, a buddy of mine mentioned how bad the remainder of the schedule is for the rest of the year. I look at UCF and Cinncy and really envy their schedules. However, I know those teams, including Houston, will have unacceptable win/loss records this year.

I watched the Cinncy game against BYU and was surprised the young QB we faced last (Prather) is now a WR. Thought he had a lot of potential.
Lots of empty seats. Looked like less than 10,000. TV rules but 11 is a bad start time in this party city. Throw in blistering heat and and blah opponent and cant be surprised at the crowd. If we want people back we need to handle Memphis and whip their butts to get the fans attention again.
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
Check the ESPN+ broadcast at the at the 52 minute mark when UAB makes the extra point to go ahead 7-17. Clear shot of the student section, but not the entire breadth. The Ahole holding up a USM banner is around row 4 or 5. You can count how many rows of students at that time.

Or at the 1:26:30 mark with our extra point after the opening drive of the second half. Ahole is holding a different banner this time, but still around row 4 or 5.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Baywave1
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12661
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Baywave1 »

I know precision is the sine qua non of this site but student section at max looked 40 to 50 % full in first half. By Boot happy hour clock in 4th quarter, there were not many left.

Welcome to FBS student attendance after third quarter. No different from SEC or you name it in fourth quarter.

However entire happy team faced hard core remaining students for post game alma mater. Looked pretty good to this alum

Thanks Willie for keeping them on field
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and part time in western NC

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

CT Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
wavedom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 am
tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:16 pm How was the crowd yesterday in the stadium? For the first time, a buddy of mine mentioned how bad the remainder of the schedule is for the rest of the year. I look at UCF and Cinncy and really envy their schedules. However, I know those teams, including Houston, will have unacceptable win/loss records this year.

I watched the Cinncy game against BYU and was surprised the young QB we faced last (Prather) is now a WR. Thought he had a lot of potential.
Lots of empty seats. Looked like less than 10,000. TV rules but 11 is a bad start time in this party city. Throw in blistering heat and and blah opponent and cant be surprised at the crowd. If we want people back we need to handle Memphis and whip their butts to get the fans attention again.
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
Check the ESPN+ broadcast at the at the 52 minute mark when UAB makes the extra point to go ahead 7-17. Clear shot of the student section, but not the entire breadth. The Ahole holding up a USM banner is around row 4 or 5. You can count how many rows of students at that time.

Or at the 1:26:30 mark with our extra point after the opening drive of the second half. Ahole is holding a different banner this time, but still around row 4 or 5.
When I get home I plan on watching game and will look for him.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and part time in western NC

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:48 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
In the first quarter maybe. The student section filled in to a respectable % by the second quarter. The stadium overall, however, remained pretty empty. 11am isnt ideal
Very well. During game, when present, I rarely look at attendance, too concentrated on game. I probably looked up when I got to my seats and thought students must still be in bed.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
User avatar
WaveProf
Cornerstone
Posts: 25922
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by WaveProf »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:14 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:48 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
In the first quarter maybe. The student section filled in to a respectable % by the second quarter. The stadium overall, however, remained pretty empty. 11am isnt ideal
Very well. During game, when present, I rarely look at attendance, too concentrated on game. I probably looked up when I got to my seats and thought students must still be in bed.
In fairness, they also left by late 3rd quarter. Can't say I blame them with the sun, but it's not unfair to say that if it's almost empty in the 1st and 4th quarters, and was never THAT full, it's hard to brag too much. But it was bad everywhere else as well, so, it is what it is. 11 AM sucks for everyone, especially early season when the sun is still hot (even if temps aren't that bad in their own right)
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
User avatar
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle
Posts: 8184
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:49 am
Location: Gretna, LA

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by GretnaGrn »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:54 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:14 pm
WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:48 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
In the first quarter maybe. The student section filled in to a respectable % by the second quarter. The stadium overall, however, remained pretty empty. 11am isnt ideal
Very well. During game, when present, I rarely look at attendance, too concentrated on game. I probably looked up when I got to my seats and thought students must still be in bed.
In fairness, they also left by late 3rd quarter. Can't say I blame them with the sun, but it's not unfair to say that if it's almost empty in the 1st and 4th quarters, and was never THAT full, it's hard to brag too much. But it was bad everywhere else as well, so, it is what it is. 11 AM sucks for everyone, especially early season when the sun is still hot (even if temps aren't that bad in their own right)
We also may have been a bit spoiled with the great student turn-out so far this season; this is the first game where that section wasn't more or less full.

Either way, let's hope for no more 11am kickoffs. North Texas is sure to be more full with homecoming, and I still expect a good crowd for UTSA, even with some of the shine off of them as an opponent. Tulsa we'll have to see.
ml wave
Emerald Circle
Posts: 14502
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:19 pm

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by ml wave »

New ticket policy undoubtedly hurt too, as I'm sure some students picked up tickets during the week then didn't roll out of bed for the 11 kickoff but others that could have gone didn't have tickets (assuming all student seats were allocated).
User avatar
PeteRasche
Cornerstone
Posts: 31046
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:52 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 am New ticket policy undoubtedly hurt too, as I'm sure some students picked up tickets during the week then didn't roll out of bed for the 11 kickoff but others that could have gone didn't have tickets (assuming all student seats were allocated).
I've heard rumblings that the new ticket policy is a turn-off to the students. I had that conversation Saturday with friends... Are they allowing people in at some point after the game has started, and it's apparent that many seats are empty? It seems silly (and detrimental) to turn people away from a 1/4-full student section because they didn't claim a ticket the previous Tuesday.
User avatar
WaveProf
Cornerstone
Posts: 25922
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:10 am
ml wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 am New ticket policy undoubtedly hurt too, as I'm sure some students picked up tickets during the week then didn't roll out of bed for the 11 kickoff but others that could have gone didn't have tickets (assuming all student seats were allocated).
I've heard rumblings that the new ticket policy is a turn-off to the students. I had that conversation Saturday with friends... Are they allowing people in at some point after the game has started, and it's apparent that many seats are empty? It seems silly (and detrimental) to turn people away from a 1/4-full student section because they didn't claim a ticket the previous Tuesday.
My wife's students claim they like the policy, but I have to agree with ML, with the 11 AM kickoff, how many people took tickets thinking they could get up (and couldn't) vs how many might happen to be up and be like sure, why not, let's go, if that were an option.

The late arrivals in 2nd qtr, and early leaves, all support this theory too
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12661
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Student policy would turn me off to. This policy is killing the patient. For a bunch of reasons we need full to over full student section every game.

Admit them on IDs and first come first served. NOPD/TUPD BRAG about managing Mardi Gras crowds. They can handle 500 students trying to storm locked entrance a la Woodstock after stadium is full
User avatar
WaveProf
Cornerstone
Posts: 25922
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: Irish Channel, New Orleans

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by WaveProf »

Look, I don't really love the new policy either and have no stake in it being preserved, but before we declare it's hampering attendance, let's look at the evidence so far:
A nearly full student section for a night game against an FCS team with a backup QB
A too-small student section for an 11 AM game against a team that sounds like an FCS team to our student body.

It's more likely it's the 11 AM kickoff, maybe slightly augmented by the seating policy *because* of the odditites of it being 11 AM

Let's see what happens for some more sample size before we are convinced of what is causing what
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and part time in western NC

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

CT Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:36 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:40 pm
wavedom wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:19 am
tjtlja wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:16 pm How was the crowd yesterday in the stadium? For the first time, a buddy of mine mentioned how bad the remainder of the schedule is for the rest of the year. I look at UCF and Cinncy and really envy their schedules. However, I know those teams, including Houston, will have unacceptable win/loss records this year.

I watched the Cinncy game against BYU and was surprised the young QB we faced last (Prather) is now a WR. Thought he had a lot of potential.
Lots of empty seats. Looked like less than 10,000. TV rules but 11 is a bad start time in this party city. Throw in blistering heat and and blah opponent and cant be surprised at the crowd. If we want people back we need to handle Memphis and whip their butts to get the fans attention again.
Quite empty. About 5 rows of students. I don't think the rest woke up until possibly when Pratt threw our last TD. :mrgreen:
Check the ESPN+ broadcast at the at the 52 minute mark when UAB makes the extra point to go ahead 7-17. Clear shot of the student section, but not the entire breadth. The Ahole holding up a USM banner is around row 4 or 5. You can count how many rows of students at that time.

Or at the 1:26:30 mark with our extra point after the opening drive of the second half. Ahole is holding a different banner this time, but still around row 4 or 5.
Okay. So more than midway through 2ndQ and in beginning of 2nd half, about half the student section is occupied. Your point is? Mostly empty beginning and then rest of game.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and part time in western NC

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Back home and watching recorded game. Looking at game stats, we had 5 penalties for 37 yds (significantly better than last week). I know how penalty yardage is counted, but a 2ndQ hold (10 yd penalty) on 2nd & 13 cost us a 45 yd gain by Clayton-Johnson. Which lead to a lost fumble and a TD in two plyays on a short field for usb. 10 yd penalty statistically, but much larger loss of yardage.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by CT Wave »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:39 am Okay. So more than midway through 2ndQ and in beginning of 2nd half, about half the student section is occupied. Your point is? Mostly empty beginning and then rest of game.
I'm guessing that most on here can figure out this simple point. The statements: "Quite empty. About 5 rows of students" are incorrect. I used the two cited times because that's when TV was showing the student section when extra point were being kicked. The TV images avoid the problem of observational bias. Sure students come late and leave early -- pretty common.

The UAB game is over; let's have more folks at the next game!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Wavefan
Coach Level
Posts: 1862
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:18 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Wavefan »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 am Back home and watching recorded game. Looking at game stats, we had 5 penalties for 37 yds (significantly better than last week). I know how penalty yardage is counted, but a 2ndQ hold (10 yd penalty) on 2nd & 13 cost us a 45 yd gain by Clayton-Johnson. Which lead to a lost fumble and a TD in two plyays on a short field for usb. 10 yd penalty statistically, but much larger loss of yardage.
And that holding call was bs. A late flag by an official down the field who was in no position to see what happened. A video of it is on twitter and you can see that there was no hold. Cost us seven and gave them seven.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle
Posts: 5914
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:40 pm
Location: Chattanooga area and part time in western NC

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

Wavefan wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:52 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:54 am Back home and watching recorded game. Looking at game stats, we had 5 penalties for 37 yds (significantly better than last week). I know how penalty yardage is counted, but a 2ndQ hold (10 yd penalty) on 2nd & 13 cost us a 45 yd gain by Clayton-Johnson. Which lead to a lost fumble and a TD in two plyays on a short field for usb. 10 yd penalty statistically, but much larger loss of yardage.
And that holding call was bs. A late flag by an official down the field who was in no position to see what happened. A video of it is on twitter and you can see that there was no hold. Cost us seven and gave them seven.
Couldn't see hold from my seat. But announcer was very strongly questioning the call. (Got distracted and didn't type that part yesterday).
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12661
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Maybe posted elsewhere but Dilfer has publicly apologized for the sideline tirade. I couldn’t copy the link to the Athletic article about it but i doubt it was an exclusive for that site.

Only surprise was that it took three days to happen and not on Sunday/Monday.
User avatar
OGSB
Emerald Circle
Posts: 18809
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:00 pm

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by OGSB »

UAB is in both CBS’s Bottom 25 and ESPN’s Bottom 10 and both blurbs talk mostly about Dilfer.
Victory is never permanent
User avatar
CT Wave
Coach Level
Posts: 2312
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:05 pm
Location: Naples, FL

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by CT Wave »

ml wave wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:58 am New ticket policy undoubtedly hurt too, as I'm sure some students picked up tickets during the week then didn't roll out of bed for the 11 kickoff but others that could have gone didn't have tickets (assuming all student seats were allocated).
I would be interesting to learn how many tickets were distributed. If about half of the total capacity, then pretty much everyone with a ticket showed up. If full capacity of tickets were distributed and some students were turned away, then yeah, it was a problem. Maybe some insider can find out and post here.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
1401973
Coach Level
Posts: 1909
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:06 am
Location: River Ridge

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by 1401973 »

OGSB wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:38 am UAB is in both CBS’s Bottom 25 and ESPN’s Bottom 10 and both blurbs talk mostly about Dilfer.
No way UAB is bottom 10 or 25 anything.
And I always hated these insipid kind of articles (probably because Tulane was always in them).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle
Posts: 12661
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:48 am

Re: Tulane survives UAB: 35-23 final

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Agree it simply mocks the weak. “Tulame” and “El No Paso.”
Post Reply