Baseball 3/29/23: UNO 16 - Tulane 4

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Baseball 3/29/23: UNO 16 - Tulane 4

Post by QuarterbackU »

It is going to take a couple of weeks for us to recover from the jet lag of the Hawaii trip.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Baseball 3/29/23: UNO 16 - Tulane 4

Post by Yankeewave »

next year we are playing University of Monaco and Capri Island U.
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Post by Charlie Dunn »

Another embarrassing loss. Are we going to lose to Loyola's club team next? Did we get any good freshman coming in this season? I thought Uhlman was a recruiting guru.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

QuarterbackU wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 pm It is going to take a couple of weeks for us to recover from the jet lag of the Hawaii trip.
+1

This years baseball schedule has been the dumbest athletic schedule I have seen since I started following Tulane. A complete waste of time and money.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

QuarterbackU wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:36 pm It is going to take a couple of weeks for us to recover from the jet lag of the Hawaii trip.
Plus regaining the proper flexibility in the hips after all the hula dancing will improve the swings at the plate and accuracy on the mound.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

He needs to be shown the door. This is worse than Dunleavy
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Uhlman is an embarassment and so is Dannen for his clown show process in lazily hiring him. This team is poorly coached in every possible way.

That being said, I strongly disagree about the schedule being poorly done. I would prefer to have the reality of knowing we're awful rather than the delusions of artificial records like Jewett used to put up against the worst teams in the country. Admittedly, this team is so bad it might not matter, but dumbing down schedules never, ever works at Tulane in any sport. The goal should always be postseason, and this schedule would allow that if the team were good enough. If the team's not good enough (and it isn't, and I see no hope of it becoming so under the current staff) that's a different issue which needs to be addressed. Let's not just have home games vs SWAC and CUSA road trips, please, in any sport.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

I'm not saying we should dumb down the schedule. I just disagree with 3 west coast trips including one all the way to Hawaii the weekend before conference play starts. All that travel wears you down. We could have played solid competition without those trips. All those trips were excessive and a very bad idea
Roll Wave Roll!!!
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I applaud uhlman for the rigor of the schedule. The logistics could be much better though. We are in the middle of the best baseball territory in the country. It would've been much better to schedule games with b12 and sec teams and get our brains beaten in by them than to have to travel to the west coast for the same treatment. Less costly too.
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:24 am The logistics could be much better though.
I was at the second West Coast series. These are clearly vacation trips for the Coach and Staff’s wives and girlfriends.

The amount of grab ass going on between the Coaches and their partners in the stands right by the dugout about 30 minutes before the USC game was unparalleled, as they were talking about what the wives/girlfriends did that morning and their plans together for that evening after the game. Baseball was not the priority. And this all took place right in front of our players.

I can’t even imagine the distractions and lack of focus in Hawaii.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Good points; it would probably have been better to have similar quality opponents closer to home, at least for some of these series. I just get bad memories of travel being used as an excuse for scheduling dumbing-down. If they're even mildly a context for vacations, that's a very different discussion, and would be further evidence of how poor a coaching hire this really is.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

purplehaz3 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:27 am He needs to be shown the door. This is worse than Dunleavy
No, it's not (yet). It's just that this is in a sport you care most about.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

QuarterbackU wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:52 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:24 am The logistics could be much better though.
I was at the second West Coast series. These are clearly vacation trips for the Coach and Staff’s wives and girlfriends.

The amount of grab ass going on between the Coaches and their partners in the stands right by the dugout about 30 minutes before the USC game was unparalleled, as they were talking about what the wives/girlfriends did that morning and their plans together for that evening after the game. Baseball was not the priority. And this all took place right in front of our players.

I can’t even imagine the distractions and lack of focus in Hawaii.
It sounds pretty much like every baseball game I’ve ever been to anywhere at any level above Babe Ruth ball

At that level down to tee ball, it’s the coaches and the parents playing grab ass pregame and often into it as well