Spears and Williams draft blurbs (The Athletic)

Updates on your favorite former Tulane players & coaches & discuss their careers.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Spears and Williams draft blurbs (The Athletic)

Post by SlidellWave »

Dane Brugler of the Athletic has his top 15 by position written up. Spears checked in at #9. He was highlighted in the RB group (only one with anything written about him)

'Given Tyjae Spears’ smallish frame and lean lower body, I didn’t expect to like him as a pro prospect. But his tape shows a player who can be a productive part of an NFL backfield. With his explosive cutting skills, Spears sees the field well to instinctively read, slash and flow, abruptly changing his rush path and eluding tacklers. He shows potential for three-down duties and reminds me of the Bills’ James Cook.'

------------
Williams checks in as the #8 LB and again he was the only LB written about.

''With 4.5 speed and an 80-inch wingspan, Dorian Williams is a rangy player against the run and the pass. It’d be nice if the three-year starter showed better anticipation and key reads from a three-year starter, but once Williams sees it, he accelerates and closes in a hurry. He finished his senior year with 132 tackles, including a career-best 17 against USC in the Cotton Bowl, which earned him Defensive MVP honors.'

https://theathletic.com/4117010/2023/01 ... ed-article
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: Spears and Williams draft blurbs (The Athletic)

Post by CT Wave »

Read the article and found it interesting that the unanimous All American linebacker checked in at #14: Ivan Pace Jr., Cincinnati.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Knowing now that Williams has an 80 inch wingspan, he could have started on a Dunleavy team
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:37 am Knowing now that Williams has an 80 inch wingspan, he could have started on a Dunleavy team
I mean, couldn't have been any worse...
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Post by SlidellWave »

Was listening to a Dallas sports radio show this afternoon. They were doing a segment on the Cowboys and if they could keep one of x or y player who would it be. They were doing Vander Esch as one and said to keep him because this draft class of LBs is weak. Then one of them, who is a former scout for the Cowboys and Eagels - Bryan Broaddus (from Louisiana and played at LSU decades ago) asked one of the other if he had watched tape yet of the kid from Tulane (presumably Williams). He was very excited when mentioning him, told the other guy that you have to watch him. Was very giddy.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

This clip right here. Tyjae doing Tyjae things.

https://twitter.com/CamMellor/status/16 ... 7b6dQ&s=19
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

All week I have been reading reports from different writers from around the country who are very impressed with Spears.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Both Spears and Williams have been invited to the NFL Combine
Tulane Greenbackers

tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:25 pm Both Spears and Williams have been invited to the NFL Combine
Have we ever had multiple invites? Cam Sample got an invite a couple of years ago, but he's our highest draft pick in a while.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I want to reiterate that Spears has become a media favorite and is the MVP of practice so far this week.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I saw they are somehow keeping track of total distance that players have gotten in drills this week. The top several are WRs (naturally) but Spears is right there behind them.

There's another clip of Spears going right through the line on a run play today and the comment said he did it again on his next snap. All reports seem to be amazingly positive.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

This tweet from Nick Anderson (and the video he’s responding to) is great

https://twitter.com/nickanderson14_/sta ... WGtEYoCNdQ
Tulane Greenbackers

Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I hope he makes a lot of money but the very biased Wave fan in me says, I wish he had stayed. What a talent.

Yes, Mr. Anderson is a very funny guy.
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Post by beantownwave »

Good lord that route was absolutely filthy.
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Daniel Jeremiah, the draft guru at NFL network, lists Spears as one of the biggest winners at the Senior Bowl, and says that Spears is the best back there. Says he is bigger and stronger than he thought. Didn’t any of these see the Cotton Bowl?
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
nolasilver
Navigator Level

Post by nolasilver »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:59 pm I hope he makes a lot of money but the very biased Wave fan in me says, I wish he had stayed. What a talent.

I was going to create a topic: What if Spears Stayed ? Could he have won the Heisman ?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

nolasilver wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:24 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:59 pm I hope he makes a lot of money but the very biased Wave fan in me says, I wish he had stayed. What a talent.

I was going to create a topic: What if Spears Stayed ? Could he have won the Heisman ?
In this scenario does Pratt get hurt and we move Spears to QB?
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

ml wave wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:20 am In this scenario does Pratt get hurt and we move Spears to QB?
Why? We have good depth at QB.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Roller wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 am
ml wave wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:20 am In this scenario does Pratt get hurt and we move Spears to QB?
Just joking about Heismans only going to QBs.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Graphic the AAC tweeted out
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

In this scenario did QB Spears also play for "jumped into a P5 conference in 7 months' time" Tulane? Because no G5 is winning a Heisman, ever.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

:shutup: :oops:
ml wave wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:42 am
Roller wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:12 am
Just joking about Heismans only going to QBs.
:shutup: :oops:
Oops; that one went right by me! Mea Culpa
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:12 pm

In this scenario did QB Spears also play for "jumped into a P5 conference in 7 months' time" Tulane? Because no G5 is winning a Heisman, ever.
Very likely true, unless we can get people to cease the use of the ridiculous P5 and G5 insults. ESPN doesn't make all the rules. Of course the insiders love the appellations, since they imagine it makes them look bigger. Some of the outsiders maintain the fiction because they are mistakenly believe that they really are lesser.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Spears was named the Practice Player of the Week by NFL Coaches and executives.

https://twitter.com/jimnagy_sb/status/1 ... JqzN1bZXTA
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:30 pmVery likely true, unless we can get people to cease the use of the ridiculous P5 and G5 insults. ESPN doesn't make all the rules. Of course the insiders love the appellations, since they imagine it makes them look bigger. Some of the outsiders maintain the fiction because they are mistakenly believe that they really are lesser.
How would "we" get people to stop using P5/G5? "We" is a very small number of people and the majority of people have zero reason to join us (if not reason to actively oppose us). And how would "we" get ESPN to not be the one making the rules? They do make the rules, and it's literally been decades being created, solidified, and ingrained in every single sports-following American. There are 30-, 40-, even 50-year olds who follow sports religiously and literally everything they know, think, and believe comes from ESPN. How exactly do you envision breaking that? (oh, and before you suggest some version of ESPN being destroyed, remember they are the company broadcasting almost all of our games and providing us with like $8M per year)

I love ya, Roller, and all of your "this is how it should be" idealism. A lot of it is truly how it SHOULD be in a just world. But it WON'T ever be. The world isn't fair. At some point you just have to accept some situations as hopeless. You are not going to change the designation of P5, so what we (as a G5) need to do is continually be the best G5 (to the point where P5s fear us or else add us to their number).

Meanwhile, it's fun when our players absolutely kill it at NFL events like the Senior Bowl, as Tyjae and Dorian are currently.