Polls—we got votes

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Re: Polls—we got votes

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:37 pm
WaveProf wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:46 pm This won’t get us in but I bet we get votes from more than one guy. Especially if k state wins tomorrow.
Please. Stop. The only reason we got votes last week is some dude hates the Big 12. We won't get meaningful votes unless we win every game until, and then beat, UCF.
Gimmick vote or not, it’s tough for him to walk it back. And the reality is most G5 teams that are 4-1 get votes. Not close but votes. Not always, but most. Throw in the KSU win, and you need to “please stop”. No one is claiming we anywhere near the actual top 25

KSU obviously needs to win today as well

If we win every game up to and including the UCF game we’ll be IN the top 25. Not just getting meaningful votes. A healthy skepticism of the G5 being taken seriously is useful, blindly ignoring how the AP works/historical trends isn’t.

Looking at last year ALONE, because I don't have time to go back to confirm further (though I follow this closely and am confident), G5 teams that were 4-1 with votes: Appalachian Statee (11)Fresno State (8) Liberty (7) Western Michigan (2) Nevada (1) ULL (1). All of these teams LOST to their major P5 opponent, some badly. One team did also have a win over Pitt. G5 undefeateds got closer to top 25, SDSU (103) and UTSA (13), and UTSA had not beaten a P5. Undefeated Cincy, SMU, and Coastal Carolina were all IN the top 25.

You might also remember we were #26 in the nation with a loss in 2019.
Last edited by WaveProf on Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:15 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:00 am
Yankeewave wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:41 am If Kansas state keeps winning, I could see a few more people giving us Toledo like votes. Normally, good G5 teams are racking up wins without a good P5 win on their resume.
Somebody from the g5 is going to get ranked down the line. If we keep winning it will be us. We will get to the end of the year with at least a couple g5s ranked as usual
I'm sure the Big XII and the rest of the cartel are praying it's one of the teams set to join the P5 that gets the NY6 bid
UH and UCF are toast but Cincy looks pretty strong, sadly.
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

Lets win out and host the Championship Game. What fun that would be! Need more offense to rest the D some.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I added this as an edit, but thought it worth a post:

Looking at last year ALONE, because I don't have time to go back to confirm further (though I follow this closely and am confident), G5 teams that were 4-1 with votes: Appalachian Statee (11)Fresno State (8) Liberty (7) Western Michigan (2) Nevada (1) ULL (1). All of these teams LOST to their major P5 opponent, some badly. One team did also have a win over Pitt. G5 undefeateds got closer to top 25, SDSU (103) and UTSA (13), and UTSA had not beaten a P5. Undefeated Cincy, SMU, and Coastal Carolina were all IN the top 25.

You might also remember we were #26 in the nation with one loss in 2019, though we had less votes than that (16) at this point in the season.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:29 amAll polls are stupid.
WaveProf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:57 amNo one is claiming we anywhere near the actual top 25
Amazing, it's almost like you're explaining why this thread shouldn't even exist, much less be multiple pages.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:17 am
WaveProf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:57 amNo one is claiming we anywhere near the actual top 25
Amazing, it's almost like you're explaining why this thread shouldn't even exist, much less be multiple pages.
Nice attempt to pivot :coolshades:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

If we were in a P5 conference with the same record against the same schedule, we’d likely be ranked or very near it in the votes received.

As much as we want K State to keep winning, they are hoping the same of us in the same way USM continuing to win helps us. If it looks like they are turning things around, that’s a not-so-bad loss.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:18 am
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:17 am
Nice attempt to pivot :coolshades:
What's a pivot? All my posts here are about why talking about getting votes is pointless if we're not close to being ranked, so this thread should stop being bumped.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Before 2019 we’d gone two decades without votes. It’s news. And if you find it so pointless, stop posting about it
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I split out the discussion of ongoing B12 games. Go to the "other teams" forum for follow-on.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:52 am Before 2019 we’d gone two decades without votes. It’s news. And if you find it so pointless, stop posting about it
I think polls are worthless until about week 8 when the pretenders are weeded out...but $EC fans need preseason polls to make them feel better about living in a trailer park with 5 teeth married to their cousin
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Week VI coaches poll: 6 votes, #43 if you count that way.

AP: 9 votes #35. LSU in at 25 :shock:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:17 pm Week VI coaches poll: 6 votes, #43 if you count that way.

AP: 9 votes #35. LSU in at 25 :shock:
I don’t get that, other than benefitting from beating Miss St who beat Texas A&M. Miss St receivers couldn’t catch or they win the lsu game by 3 TDs. Auburn fans were upset that they were leading in the first half because they thought it would prevent them from firing their coach this season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Auburn fans were cheering their butts off when they were winning.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

We got votes from 5 AP writers. The highest one had us at 23.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedditCFB/st ... 48/photo/1
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:52 am Before 2019 we’d gone two decades without votes. It’s news. And if you find it so pointless, stop posting about it
Agree
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:52 pm We got votes from 5 AP writers. The highest one had us at 23.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RedditCFB/st ... 48/photo/1
Kirk Bohls is the Scott Rabelais of Austin paper and a decades long beat writer for UT. He is not a G5 squish. But Tulane beat the early Big 12 leader, KSU, at its place. So he reasonably thinks Tulane has earned the 23 slot. It has.

This is not preseason puff. We are one game away from mid-season. Tulane is a long way from AAC Championship game. November matters most. But still I sometimes suspect too much self-poor mouthing is worse than too much self-congratulations.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

I'm glad the team doesn't read all that's posted on this board. Right?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Kansas state needs to keep winning. We are much harder to ignore while we are their only loss. Of course, we need to not pull a southern miss this week too
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:23 am Kansas state needs to keep winning. We are much harder to ignore while we are their only loss. Of course, we need to not pull a southern miss this week too
Won't happen. You heard it hear. (unless, of course, we have a punt blocked, a FG blocked, another missed FG, and a pic six)
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:20 am I'm glad the team doesn't read all that's posted on this board. Right?
That’s the thing. We aren’t players and it’s really annoying when some on here act like they are. Our job, to the agree we even have one, is to argue and discuss. If the coach’s are so fragile they have to worry about what I’d said on here, we need a new coaching staff.
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I can't even follow this thread, you all are crazy
DCGreenie
President's Circle

Post by DCGreenie »

FW wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am I can't even follow this thread, you all are crazy
My first 4 wives called me crazy...
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48 am
FW wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am I can't even follow this thread, you all are crazy
My first 4 wives called me crazy...
My first 4 girlfriends and 3 wives all said the same. How do we keep getting attracted to crazy women? :coolshades: