Why not just build the whole planet out of the black box?

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Why not just build the whole planet out of the black box?

Post by gerryb323 »

Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
CT Wave
Coach Level

Re: Why not just build the whole planet out of the black box?

Post by CT Wave »

Amen. Its intention is to provide "an unbiased account..."
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

On the bright side, the environment will be great since apparently we're all going to die of Omicron in the next three months. 8)
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Why not just move everyone to Tasmania.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 am On the bright side, the environment will be great since apparently we're all going to die of Omicron in the next three months. 8)
Incorrect....we will all die from the next TRANSFORMER named variant!!!!
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:20 am On the bright side, the environment will be great since apparently we're all going to die of Omicron in the next three months. 8)
Something no one anywhere said. Fact is some states in the northeast and midwest have had their governors call out the National Guard to help with the staffing issues at hospitals due to the influx of patients with omicron. Some of those people that get hospitalized have died. Louisiana has now seen its number of hospitalized triple in the last week and yes there are deaths from it here. I'm sure the families of those deceased would appreciate your snark.
We deserve so much better
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:28 pm
Something no one anywhere said. Fact is some states in the northeast and midwest have had their governors call out the National Guard to help with the staffing issues at hospitals due to the influx of patients with omicron. Some of those people that get hospitalized have died. Louisiana has now seen its number of hospitalized triple in the last week and yes there are deaths from it here. I'm sure the families of those deceased would appreciate your snark.
At the time I posted it (9 days ago, what took you so long?), the media was talking about it and how it was spreading fast, but there had not been a single instance of anyone with it having anything more than sniffles. Yet the media was blowing it up, hence my post intending to point out the media's tendency to overblow everything.

In the time since, I've heard of one person who died of reliably-confirmed Omicron, and he was old and had significant underlying conditions. One. I'm sure there have been more since but it's not Omicron that's blowing up hospitals. You know I'm generally on your side on this debate but perhaps you missed that the CDC pulled a major gaffe (again) and retracted their previous Omicron numbers yesterday, by a HUGE (like, laughably, incredulously wrong) amount. Basically they said, "oh, sorry, all those people in the hospitals? Yeah, they're actually almost entirely Delta." I've still not seen any solid, reliable info anywhere that Omicron is life-threatening to anyone who doesn't have major preexisting conditions. If you have, please share, because it would be contradicting the CDC (as of yesterday).
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:09 pm
At the time I posted it (9 days ago, what took you so long?), the media was talking about it and how it was spreading fast, but there had not been a single instance of anyone with it having anything more than sniffles. Yet the media was blowing it up, hence my post intending to point out the media's tendency to overblow everything.

In the time since, I've heard of one person who died of reliably-confirmed Omicron, and he was old and had significant underlying conditions. One. I'm sure there have been more since but it's not Omicron that's blowing up hospitals. You know I'm generally on your side on this debate but perhaps you missed that the CDC pulled a major gaffe (again) and retracted their previous Omicron numbers yesterday, by a HUGE (like, laughably, incredulously wrong) amount. Basically they said, "oh, sorry, all those people in the hospitals? Yeah, they're actually almost entirely Delta." I've still not seen any solid, reliable info anywhere that Omicron is life-threatening to anyone who doesn't have major preexisting conditions. If you have, please share, because it would be contradicting the CDC (as of yesterday).
Post your link. Over 80% in the hospital due to unvaccinated with omicron in Louisiana .
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:33 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:09 pm

Post your link. Over 80% in the hospital due to unvaccinated with omicron in Louisiana .
Probably this: https://www.politico.com/news/2021/12/2 ... ate-526210
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Good news this morning: reports from South Africa (where Omicron was first identified) that the Omicron wave seems to be subsiding already with minimal significant harm and hardly any deaths. They are hoping to see similar here.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

But what would that mean for our winter of "severe illness and death"?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

CT Wave wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 am But what would that mean for our winter of "severe illness and death"?
It doesn't change the hospitals overwhelmed with people with Delta.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:13 am Good news this morning: reports from South Africa (where Omicron was first identified) that the Omicron wave seems to be subsiding already with minimal significant harm and hardly any deaths. They are hoping to see similar here.
In South Africa they are using the J&J shot and giving 2 doses which they have now found to be 85% effective in preventing hospitalizations.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:21 pm
CT Wave wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:36 am But what would that mean for our winter of "severe illness and death"?
It's another pandemic of the unvaccinated. The hospitals are overwhelmed with a mix of people with Delta and those with omicron. Omicron is the dominant variant in Louisiana and we are setting records the last few days for most cases in a day. The hospital numbers are up 150% in just the last week. That's people who mostly have omicron.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:22 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:21 pm
It's another pandemic of the unvaccinated. The hospitals are overwhelmed with a mix of people with Delta and those with omicron. Omicron is the dominant variant in Louisiana and we are setting records the last few days for most cases in a day. The hospital numbers are up 150% in just the last week. That's people who mostly have omicron.
I don't think I've had a conversation over the last ~week without talking to or about someone with Covid (presumably Omicron). Anecdotally it seems way more widespread than previous spikes.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Well, it is more widespread. They told us that from the start, it spreads way more easily than any previous variant.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

To be honest, this is the type of variant that is more common in viral epidemics; can be more contagious, but is not as severe a disease. I am going to add my name to those afflicted with this; after two vaccines and the booster, wearing surgical masks all day in my office, limiting where I went, and fighting chapped hands due to the amount of "cologne" (I have jokingly referred to it as "eau de sanitizee) I have used with each patient, I developed COVID Christmas day. I did not lose any taste or smell, did not have the level of anorexia (loss of appetite) that my other patients have complained about.

My brother is an Internist in Johnson City; when I described the symptoms he confirmed what I thought- that there are different symptoms associated with this variant than with the previous versions. There is some evidence that Omicron infection might be protective against other variants; I hope that this will be the variant that will lead toward the "herd immunity" that so many have hoped for. 1-2 days of feeling a lot like a bad influenza or cold, then began to steadily improve. Wife has a scratchy throat, body aches and some fever. Son asked for some advil this morning, has otherwise not been too bad.

At least I have used the time with some purpose; 15 hours of CME thus far. Hope you all stay well, if you get it (which I fear many of you will), I hope that it is mild. If any of you start to have respiratory compromise, particularly those with risk factors for a worse course, PLEASE contract your PCP and try to get one of the infusible treatments; I don't have any experience with the new oral medication, but if bad might be worth getting it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?