2022 NCAA Football Thread (non-Tulane)

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: 2022 NCAA Football Thread (non-Tulane)

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Great day for the AAC in the NY6. Coastal lost and SJSU fell to 1-4 Fresno. That gives the Spartans two losses. AAC has Cinci, UCF and Tulane all with one loss.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Our former Amare Jones (unless it's a different Amare Jones?) helped us out with a huge day vs JMU. At WR now apparently, he had 7/164/2.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I should here mention that Clemson did everything they could do to lose to Syracuse at home today. I say this loss will reverberate for Syracuse.

And a very small salute to the LSU fans who objected to some of their fans storming the field vs Ole Miss. They’re right to be embarrassed by that.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

long green wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:53 pm I should here mention that Clemson did everything they could do to lose to Syracuse at home today. I say this loss will reverberate for Syracuse.

And a very small salute to the LSU fans who objected to some of their fans storming the field vs Ole Miss. They’re right to be embarrassed by that.
LSU fans: "We are better than Ole Miss, we should be them all the time"

Also LSU fans: "lets rush the field after this epic victory vs Ole Miss."
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I think the question should have nothing to do with it being Ole Miss, it should be, "is LSU (still?) a power school to the point where they shouldn't be rushing the field when they upset a top ten team?" Lots of schools would rush the field after beating a top ten team. That's also because lots of schools don't play top ten teams very often...but mostly because most schools aren't in the top fifty hardly (if) ever. Top ten is a BIG DEAL.

And then you get down to the ticky-tack of "well, even if you yourself are top fifteen, what about beating a top five?" "Top three?" Like, even when LSU was winning titles in the 00s, they still probably would legitimately rush the field after beating top three Bama, right?

Honestly I think the indignation here is more a combination of people not being used to OLE MISS being the top ten team in question (sprinkled with a little "please don't make freakin Kiffin think he's that important"), along with people forgetting that LSU has fallen pretty far, pretty fast, since Burrow and Co.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:09 pm...should have nothing to do with it being Ole Miss...
I think he intended to say "beat them all the time."
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Roller wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:38 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:09 pm...should have nothing to do with it being Ole Miss...
Obviously, but I don't think people are used to Ole Miss being top ten and LSU being not top 25, which is why some folks are all upset. Those saying LSU shouldn't storm the field for beating Ole Miss are projecting that they're used to LSU being top ten and OM being unranked as if that's the way it always "should" be.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:54 am
Roller wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:38 pm
Obviously, but I don't think people are used to Ole Miss being top ten and LSU being not top 25, which is why some folks are all upset. Those saying LSU shouldn't storm the field for beating Ole Miss are projecting that they're used to LSU being top ten and OM being unranked as if that's the way it always "should" be.
For me, you don't storm the field if you're a favorite. Ignoring the ranking, which is very much subjective, lsu was a 2 point favorite in the game. That's rule #1.

Had it been a long time since they beat ole miss? Nope they've won 6/7 in that series. Had it been a really long time since they beat a top ten team? Nope, they beat #6 Florida in 2020. If it had been 10 years since a win that big or if Ole miss had dominated the series the way Alabama did with Tennessee, then sure storm away.

As a favorite over a team you regularly beat, winning a game the stakes of which you've won similar games in the past? Field storming is foolish, regardless of fan affiliation.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It's a copy cat world. LSU students saw Tennessee students do it so they wanted to. As outlaw points out well there were no factors that should have led to the storming.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I didn’t think Tennessee should have rushed the field, but I think their situation is a little different. They hadn’t beat Bama in 10-15 years and until recently, and spent most of that time unranked. I would apply rule #1 if Tenn was favored, it kind of overshadows the other factors.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

TN, having not beaten 'bama in 15 years and 'bama ranked (#2?) at the time, yeah, I see Vols rushing the field. But don't understand why lsu fans did same. Ole Miss not at same level as 'bama.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

On November 4th 2022 UMass threw their 1st passing TD in a game against an FBS opponent and 2nd overall on the season. Round of applause for the Minutemen, everybody.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Some interesting scores going on. Georgia crushing Tennessee. Georgia State crushing USM (dang). Pitt beating Syracuse (good for us to not get passed). Michigan State beating Illinois (hello CFGD?)
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

LSU wins on a two-point conversion against Bama. One of those games where you did not want either win
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The big winner in Baton Rouge is the loser of the Ohio St-Michigan game.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Probably so but if LSU wins out they will get in the CFP. Doubt they win out and am certainly pulling against them but that is the realistic take.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

AO Sig wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:10 pm LSU wins on a two-point conversion against Bama. One of those games where you did not want either win
Not sure if it’s an LSU thing and they just storm the field after they win now or if it’s an Alabama thing and the opposing team storms the field after they beat Alabama.
Victory is never permanent
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

wavedom wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 am Probably so but if LSU wins out they will get in the CFP. Doubt they win out and am certainly pulling against them but that is the realistic take.
Question.
If and this is a very possible if along if LSU wins out fininshing 11-2.
The following are quite possible:
PAC 12 Champ 12-1(Oregon, UCLA, or USC)
Big 12 Champ 13-0 or 12-1(TCU)
Big Ten Champ 13-0 (Michigan or Ohio State)
ACC Champ 12-1 (UNC or Clemson)
also..
Tennessee 11-1 Who beat LSU bad at LSU and Alabama
Georgia 12-1 who beat Tennessee and Oregon
Michigan/OSU loser 11-1 and both are media darlings.

So counting LSU there would 8 teams for 4 spots. Who gets in????

Unless 2007 type chaos ensues I don't think LSU gets in with two losses.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

LSU won't get in, the national title game isn't in the Dome. They only win titles in years when the championship is a home game.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:43 pm
wavedom wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:51 am Probably so but if LSU wins out they will get in the CFP. Doubt they win out and am certainly pulling against them but that is the realistic take.
Question.
If and this is a very possible if along if LSU wins out fininshing 11-2.
The following are quite possible:
PAC 12 Champ 12-1(Oregon, UCLA, or USC)
Big 12 Champ 13-0 or 12-1(TCU)
Big Ten Champ 13-0 (Michigan or Ohio State)
ACC Champ 12-1 (UNC or Clemson)
also..
Tennessee 11-1 Who beat LSU bad at LSU and Alabama
Georgia 12-1 who beat Tennessee and Oregon
Michigan/OSU loser 11-1 and both are media darlings.

So counting LSU there would 8 teams for 4 spots. Who gets in????

Unless 2007 type chaos ensues I don't think LSU gets in with two losses.
If they win the SEC they will get in. Book it. No way the CFP doesn't take an SEC team. Fortunately I don't think it happens. they may make the CCG but lose to Georgia.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:32 pm LSU won't get in, the national title game isn't in the Dome. They only win titles in years when the championship is a home game.
This is a very good point. Will be bad for the city, but hopefully the Sugar gets left out of the new playoff system!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It's THE BEST when you get to watch games in these conditions. Western Michigan against Central Michigan last night in the heavy falling snow... :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1593 ... DMb3Q&s=19

(it's best when you are watching them on TV from your cozy home)
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

There's a full article on 7th year qb Lindsey Scott over at the athletic. Follows his path from lsu to incarnate word
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:31 am It's THE BEST when you get to watch games in these conditions. Western Michigan against Central Michigan last night in the heavy falling snow... :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/ESPNCFB/status/1593 ... DMb3Q&s=19

(it's best when you are watching them on TV from your cozy home)
When the announcer said “shootout” I was curious what the final was. 12-10.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I mentioned this in the main forum but it was a bad weekend for this thread to be down... lots of fun stuff to watch after getting that Thursday night win.