2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
long green
Cornerstone

Re: 2022-23 College Football Coaching Carousel

Post by long green »

I wonder if Cincy’s move to the Big 12 makes them attractive to Jeff Traylor at UTSA.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Freeze to Auburn is official. I think they go the out of work route again. Maybe someone like Justin Fuente. Obviously they is Liberty.
Last edited by long green on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

Tom Herman was born in Cincinnati.

It would be an interesting fit.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Trent Dilfer from HS Coach to UAB. That’s certainly outside the box selection.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Dilfer is a disappointing hire for the league. Maybe he works out, but there's a high chance he fails imo. Uab should be one of the better teams in the new league from a resources standpoint, but this hire feels like somebody hiring a buddy, not unlike Ray Anderson hiring Herm Edwards at Arizona st.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Vincent, the interim, didn’t deliver but giving him a deal with a light buyout seems like a better idea than this. I hope UAB can get out of this experiment quickly if it looks too much like an experiment.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

A little bit mixed reaction from UAB fans but more enthusiasm than I would have thought

https://csnbbs.com/thread-960557.html
Victory is never permanent
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Dilfer is an experiment. But he will generate lots of pub from curious journalists who might not normally pay attention to AAC much less UAB. So from league standpoint at least initially, it’s not a bad hire. If he doesn’t win then ibviously it’s a bad hire from UABs perspective.

Dilfer clearly knows football and high performance locker rooms. Can he recruit? Unlike say Deion, I doubt 2% of potential 18 year old recruits know he had a long and productive football playing career. So it’s an experiment
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I can say that this experiment is a better idea than hiring Skip Holtz, whose name was mentioned recently for this position.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Out of the potential retreads, Herman is still out there and you don’t see his name floating around much. He won big at UH, never lost a bowl game at UT and win NY6 Bowls at both places

If fritz had gone, I hoped Dannen had his number on speed dial. Is he just content to cash his UT annuity checks?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:42 am Out of the potential retreads, Herman is still out there and you don’t see his name floating around much. He won big at UH, never lost a bowl game at UT and win NY6 Bowls at both places

If fritz had gone, I hoped Dannen had his number on speed dial. Is he just content to cash his UT annuity checks?
His name has been floated for Cinci. I think that's very likely a top name on their list.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Post by LawGreenie »

Herman has also been mentioned as the next OC at Alabama (BoB is probably gone). That has proven to be a good springboard to the NFL or P2 jobs, and might get you in the mix for Nick's successor.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Herman’s a good coach. He would be outstanding pickup for wherever he goes.

Like Auburn, UT is a booster run program. Like Auburn boosters, they are delusional. Not saying they will finish last like aTm in SEC but they won’t contend to play in CG annually like UGA and Bama either
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:36 am Herman’s a good coach. He would be outstanding pickup for wherever he goes.

Like Auburn, UT is a booster run program. Like Auburn boosters, they are delusional. Not saying they will finish last like aTm in SEC but they won’t contend to play in CG annually like UGA and Bama either
I think Texas and especially OU fans will regret moving to the SEC. They will win some games sometimes and maybe even a conference title every so often, but their days of dominating a league are over. As a cfb podcaster I'm fond of says, "If you take the check, you take the Ls."
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Separately can we still appeal to have Tulsa as our designated AAC football scheduling rival? Dickson will pick Montgomery’s replacement and odds are that should give us a boost when they are on our schedule. Just saying…
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

The one “list of candidates “ story I saw had a good group on it. Some of the duds sounded adequate. I bet GJ Kinne is the most popular name on the list, even if he is younger than his QB.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 am Separately can we still appeal to have Tulsa as our designated AAC football scheduling rival? Dickson will pick Montgomery’s replacement and odds are that should give us a boost when they are on our schedule. Just saying…
In the new AAC, I don't WANT an easier slate. We need to be playing all the toughest teams every year. We're good enough. If we'd had Houston's schedule this year and won the AAC, we'd be unranked and the entire nation would be dismissing us.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:01 am Separately can we still appeal to have Tulsa as our designated AAC football scheduling rival? Dickson will pick Montgomery’s replacement and odds are that should give us a boost when they are on our schedule. Just saying…
In the new AAC, I don't WANT an easier slate. We need to be playing all the toughest teams every year. We're good enough. If we'd had Houston's schedule this year and won the AAC, we'd be unranked and the entire nation would be dismissing us.
+1. If we must be paired with someone annually in the new look AAC, make it Memphis, SMU and/or UAB (in that order).
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

FAU hires Tom Herman. Outstanding hire, especially if FAU is researching the hot names for 2-3 years from now.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:51 pm FAU hires Tom Herman. Outstanding hire, especially if FAU is researching the hot names for 2-3 years from now.
Good for the conference as well.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:59 am
Exactly. This is why we need to stop playing an FCS. Our schedule needs toughening if we want to be able to recruit at a higher level and to get national recognition.
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

long green wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:51 pm FAU hires Tom Herman. Outstanding hire, especially if FAU is researching the hot names for 2-3 years from now.
Thats the kind of hire I hope our conference mates will make. Dilfer and Poggi have waaaaay higher variances
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Outstanding hire. We play at FAU next season so we can see how fast he turns Owls around. He beat us pretty soundly at UH in 22015 and 16. I was hoping he topped Dannen’s list if Willie left.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

AAC 2.0 May be weaker on paper but these new coaches must think it’s still best path for career advancement and/or restoration.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I can tell you that my biggest-UC-fan co-worker was pretty dumbfounded that Herman signed at FAU. A lot of Cincy fans thought he was their guy and I don't think they'd heard any inkling that this could happen.

I don't think he was happy to hear that FAU is going to be in the AAC now either. :lol: