Pratt's availability

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
randymc
President's Circle

Pratt's availability

Post by randymc »

Guerry Smith: Michael Pratt practiced today as #Tulane prepared for East Carolina. Starter Saturday will be either Pratt or Kai Horton, depending on Pratt's readiness. Coach Willie Fritz on Pratt: "We feel like Michael's going to have the opportunity to play this week."

Tulane Hullabaloo newspaper earlier this afternoon reported the same news. Hullabaloo also reported Fritz saying placekicking job is open for competition this week; hopefully that means V. Ambrosio is able to perform.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Pratt's availability

Post by PeteRasche »

randymc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:28 pm Guerry Smith: Michael Pratt practiced today as #Tulane prepared for East Carolina. Starter Saturday will be either Pratt or Kai Horton, depending on Pratt's readiness. Coach Willie Fritz on Pratt: "We feel like Michael's going to have the opportunity to play this week."

Tulane Hullabaloo newspaper earlier this afternoon reported the same news. Hullabaloo also reported Fritz saying placekicking job is open for competition this week; hopefully that means V. Ambrosio is able to perform.
Regarding PK, I'm less worried about who kicks and more worried about whether someone blocks the edge rushers.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:46 pm
randymc wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:28 pm Guerry Smith: Michael Pratt practiced today as #Tulane prepared for East Carolina. Starter Saturday will be either Pratt or Kai Horton, depending on Pratt's readiness. Coach Willie Fritz on Pratt: "We feel like Michael's going to have the opportunity to play this week."

Regarding PK, I'm less worried about who kicks and more worried about whether someone blocks the edge rushers.
Could be classic Fritz misdirection and subterfuge. But if Pratt is say, 90%. this would be good news. He's had two decent games against ECU (except for two bad 4th quarter picks...the one in 2020 allowed ECU to have life in a game we were dominating - we held on....the one in 21 was after we had made a comeback and were within two scores and driving).

Again watching the OC Sat. There should be fewer designed QB runs and on those that are called our QB WILL NOT take a big hit (or deliver a hit). Also got to get the ball out quickly as ECU will be coming after Horton. Gotta get our playmakers touching the ball and we have more than we've had in a while: Spears, Celestine, McDougle, Watts, Jackson, Wyatt, Keys, James. Against Houston Jackson was targeted once, James and Wyatt twice and McDougle 3 times. That is not good distribution.

The TEs are back so the protection should have improved (I again call BS on that - losing two players shouldn't mean you suddenly can't protect). BTW I think our punter still got his kicks off slowly v Houston.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

1401973 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:58 pm

The TEs are back so the protection should have improved (I again call BS on that - losing two players shouldn't mean you suddenly can't protect). BTW I think our punter still got his kicks off slowly v Houston.
Agree, he is noticeably slow.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

We need to protect better, but as mentioned above, Glover needs to get punts off quicker than he has.

When Fritz said the PK competition is open, someone asked if Ambrosia was back and Fritz only said, he may have a shot too.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Glover is rather deliberate
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

From a quick google search, teams should shoot for punt time (from the time it touches their hand to when they get the punt off) in less than 1.4 seconds.
No less of an authority than Bob Davie himself (looks like an old article): http://static.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/d ... 53702.html

Because I am a super nerd I just replayed each punt from both Houston and Tulane and timed each:
Houston
1.16 secs
1.18 secs
1.18 secs
Tulane
1.16 secs
1.16 secs
1.20 secs
1.28 secs
So I guess I was wr....wr.....wr....incorrect.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

It must just be his motion, and lanky build, that makes it look like he is taking longer than usual.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

1401973 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 pm From a quick google search, teams should shoot for punt time (from the time it touches their hand to when they get the punt off) in less than 1.4 seconds.
No less of an authority than Bob Davie himself (looks like an old article): http://static.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/d ... 53702.html

Because I am a super nerd I just replayed each punt from both Houston and Tulane and timed each:
Houston
1.16 secs
1.18 secs
1.18 secs
Tulane
1.16 secs
1.16 secs
1.20 secs
1.28 secs
In a game of inches, there's a big difference between 1.16 and 1.28 seconds.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

ml wave wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:03 pm
1401973 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:04 pm From a quick google search, teams should shoot for punt time (from the time it touches their hand to when they get the punt off) in less than 1.4 seconds.

Houston
1.16 secs
1.18 secs
1.18 secs
Tulane
1.16 secs
1.16 secs
1.20 secs
1.28 secs
In a game of inches, there's a big difference between 1.16 and 1.28 seconds.
That's what she said.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Do we know if he's playing yet?
#20/#19
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Answering my own question, Guerry just tweeted Pratt took first team warmups. Sounds like he's a go
#20/#19
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

Given his performance today, do you think some of the criticism should now be muted? He still makes the mistake of holding the ball too long.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

DCGreenie wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:19 pm Given his performance today, do you think some of the criticism should now be muted? He still makes the mistake of holding the ball too long.
I do. Nobody is saying he is perfect, but he is a quality qb that gives us a good chance to win.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Look at it this way: he had a lot of plays that fit the mold of the complaints we've had, he missed some open guys (threw too late or not at all) and just plain made bad passes on some... but despite that he threw for 326 yards, 2 TDs, and ran for another, and most importantly, no turnovers.

And knowing we have Horton as a pretty trustworthy backup is a relief.

After today I'm now wondering about our running game!
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Horton comes in cold. Makes a great throw. Most impressive.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:33 pm Look at it this way: he had a lot of plays that fit the mold of the complaints we've had, he missed some open guys (threw too late or not at all) and just plain made bad passes on some... but despite that he threw for 326 yards, 2 TDs, and ran for another, and most importantly, no turnovers.

Was it out run game or ECU going all out to stop the run and force Pratt to throw? Didn't get a chance to watch the game real time so just curious
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:45 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:33 pm Look at it this way: he had a lot of plays that fit the mold of the complaints we've had, he missed some open guys (threw too late or not at all) and just plain made bad passes on some... but despite that he threw for 326 yards, 2 TDs, and ran for another, and most importantly, no turnovers.

Was it out run game or ECU going all out to stop the run and force Pratt to throw? Didn't get a chance to watch the game real time so just curious
The former. ecu wanted to stop our runners, which they did. So we took what they gave us. People on this forum will always find something to complain about - even after victory.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Looked like some of the sacks he took today were because he chose not to try to force a pass and instead took the sack.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 pm

The former. ecu wanted to stop our runners, which they did. So we took what they gave us. People on this forum will always find something to complain about - even after victory.
Oh for God's sake Marathon, lighten up. We won, I'm not really worried. If I was worried, I would start a thread about it. That was a throwaway comment, sorry I didn't put emojis after it.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Sophandros wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:01 pm Looked like some of the sacks he took today were because he chose not to try to force a pass and instead took the sack.
True. And especially at the end of the game it kept the clock running
#20/#19
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:02 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Oh for God's sake Marathon, lighten up. We won, I'm not really worried. If I was worried, I would start a thread about it. That was a throwaway comment, sorry I didn't put emojis after it.
Pete. You should know we take everything you write/say to heart. If you're worried about our running game, then everyone will be worried about our running game. Let's try to remember, the only stat that matters is the scoreboard.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

ECU was run blitzing a lot
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

FW wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:57 pm ECU was run blitzing a lot
I thought we should have taken more deep shots. They would put 9 in the box with no safety help a lot. Also looked like they had 2 guys following Spears on every play he was in.

This was our first 350+yd passing game since ECU in 2018.
Tulane Greenbackers

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

waverider wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:29 pm
FW wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:57 pm ECU was run blitzing a lot
I thought we should have taken more deep shots. They would put 9 in the box with no safety help a lot. Also looked like they had 2 guys following Spears on every play he was in.

This was our first 350+yd passing game since ECU in 2018.
McMillan did that on 12 passes too (372 yards)