Quarterback Depth

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Quarterback Depth

Post by Baywave1 »

Tulane under Fritz won a big road game with a 3rd string QB. Unprecedented according to institutional memory around here

I just think back to Fritz’s opener against Wake and his first two seasons when many winnable games slipped away because of no depth at QB.

His grinding turned that talent dearth around.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Re: Quarterback Depth

Post by WaveProf »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:21 am Tulane under Fritz won a big road game with a 3rd string QB. Unprecedented according to institutional memory around here

I just think back to Fritz’s opener against Wake and his first two seasons when many winnable games slipped away because of no depth at QB.

His grinding turned that talent dearth around.
I wish he’d even had one QB to fit that system. I’m still curious about what might have been built here if he did.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Once he stopped talking about running the triple option incessantly we finally were able to start attracting QB's.
We deserve so much better
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 am Once he stopped talking about running the triple option incessantly we finally were able to start attracting QB's.
Once idiot journalists and message board users stopped insisting on calling it the triple option the damage had already been done
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:22 am
wavedom wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:21 am Once he stopped talking about running the triple option incessantly we finally were able to start attracting QB's.
Once idiot journalists and message board users stopped insisting on calling it the triple option the damage had already been done
Total BS. It was Willie who very publicly in interview after interview talked about us running the triple option. It was all on Willie. Funny how you just posted players don't read these boards but now claim recruits do and its the fans fault that we couldn't recruit QB's or WR's. What a joke.
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Do we want to win consistently? Then we've got to run the Wishbone or the Wing-T.......
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

1) I've always said the biggest mistake CWF has made was referring to it that way in a couple of early interviews, I've never let him off the hook for that
2)I didn't say that players don't read this board, I said that shouldn't be our concern
3) I place far more of the blame for how far that narrative went on idiot journalists who don't know anything about the option than I do idiots like you, but I couldn't help but add the message board swipe because you never hesitate to throw them at others.

In the end, his experiment was a failure, and we'll never know how much of it was because it "couldn't" have worked vs the narrative that impacted recruiting that started with willie fritz and was exacerbated in the media. And that's about all I have to say about this, putting you back on mute where you belong
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

You've never let him off the hook for that? It was 6 years ago. Let it go.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am 1) I've always said the biggest mistake CWF has made was referring to it that way in a couple of early interviews, I've never let him off the hook for that
2)I didn't say that players don't read this board, I said that shouldn't be our concern
3) I place far more of the blame for how far that narrative went on idiot journalists who don't know anything about the option than I do idiots like you, but I couldn't help but add the message board swipe because you never hesitate to throw them at others.

In the end, his experiment was a failure, and we'll never know how much of it was because it "couldn't" have worked vs the narrative that impacted recruiting that started with willie fritz and was exacerbated in the media. And that's about all I have to say about this, putting you back on mute where you belong
Total BS again. Willie repeated it over and over again and he did for his first few seasons here. Now go run away from the truth like you always do.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

FW wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:40 am You've never let him off the hook for that? It was 6 years ago. Let it go.
And we have paid a big price for it. Our receiving corps is still weak because of it.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Aside what what CWF said. Who he recruited was his choice...or what is Ruse's
- Darius Bradwell played RB at Tulane.
- Johnathan Brantley transferred and p;layed QB at EIU FCS
- Dane Ledford moved back and forth between QB and WR at tulane.
- Khalil McClain transferred to Troy and played WR
- Christian Daniels moved to TE at Tulane then transferred out.

...Then we have the WIll Hall guys
- Justin Ibieta
- Michael Pratt
- Kai Horton

...The Chip Long buy
- Carson Haggard

Of Ruse's recruits the only one who ended up playing QB and not another position transferred down to FCS. It's clear he was recruiting athletes and not passers at the position. The Hall, who is know as a running game guy, comes in and recruits actual QBs.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Do we want to win consistently? Then we've got to run the Wishbone or the Wing-T.......
Wut
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

ml wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:01 am
DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:37 am I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Do we want to win consistently? Then we've got to run the Wishbone or the Wing-T.......
Wut
ALERT!!!

SARCASM!
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:54 am Aside what what CWF said. Who he recruited was his choice...or what is Ruse's
- Darius Bradwell played RB at Tulane.
- Johnathan Brantley transferred and p;layed QB at EIU FCS
- Dane Ledford moved back and forth between QB and WR at tulane.
- Khalil McClain transferred to Troy and played WR
- Christian Daniels moved to TE at Tulane then transferred out.

...Then we have the WIll Hall guys
- Justin Ibieta
- Michael Pratt
- Kai Horton

...The Chip Long buy
- Carson Haggard

Of Ruse's recruits the only one who ended up playing QB and not another position transferred down to FCS. It's clear he was recruiting athletes and not passers at the position. The Hall, who is know as a running game guy, comes in and recruits actual QBs.
What's clear is that with Willie talking up the triple option for the first three years we couldn't recruit QB's or WR's. So in year 4 when he changed OC's and made it clear that we were no longer going to run the triple option we were able to start recruiting QB's.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
Wut
ALERT!!!

SARCASM!
Oh, ok. Last week you said we needed to play shootouts so it's hard to tell what's going on.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

you have to include Banks and McMillan in the Ruse years. Banks had a solid first year and then regressed. McMillan was a solid starter for a year and a half and won us two bowl games. But I do agree the HS recruiting early on at the QB position was a total bust.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

ml wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:57 pm
DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 am
Wut
ALERT!!!

SARCASM!
Oh, ok. Last week you said we needed to play shootouts so it's hard to tell what's going on.
Also sarcasm......
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Bham Wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:07 pm you have to include Banks and McMillan in the Ruse years. Banks had a solid first year and then regressed. McMillan was a solid starter for a year and a half and won us two bowl games. But I do agree the HS recruiting early on at the QB position was a total bust.
I was talking just recruits.

Also let's not forget Jack Abraham who was committed to us. The real "what if" is we would not have pushed him elsewhere and Ruse would have gone with a more pass friendly offense would we have been in a bowl sooner? How would that have changed things. Abraham is not a star, but he has been competent in his 5 stops. Yes he is still playing.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

OK this probably deserves its own thread, but since there are a bunch around the subject I will insert here.

The QB log jam and what it means

Because of covid, going forward with next year...
- Pratt has TWO more years of eligibility.
- Ibieta has THREE more years or eligibility(possibly more if he is out the rest of the year with an injury)
- Horton has THREE more years
- Haggard has FOUR more years.

What this means is during the transfer era it would surprise me if Pratt, Ibieta, and Horton all finished at Tulane.

Horton. We are impressed with Horton and he shown about as much as he could in his second real game. Does he really sit behind Pratt two more years only to be starter for one year and that assumes he beats out Ibieta.

Ibieta. Does he sit behind Pratt for two years? Does he stay at Tulane regardless of whether he plays or not because he it's in his blood and he plays baseball?

Pratt. Pratt has a pretty good reputation outside of the program. Does he test the waters of the transfer portal and NIL if Horton gets significant playing time during his injury or in repair and it becomes a battle.

Haggard. Does he stay only to play one year after Ibieta or Horton?

In total this js a good problem to have and the attitudes of all the QBs doesn't seem like it could be more positive, but Ibieta, Horton, and Pratt are all good enough to play and there are only so many snaps. We can't look at Hortons career as something in the distant future. If he doesn't win the job this year or next he likely won't have a shot until 2025 when Pratt is gone for a single season.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

You simply outline the QB issues at alot of schools. How many four star and five star QBs transfer every year to try to get playing time.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Poseidon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:14 am
Bham Wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:07 pm you have to include Banks and McMillan in the Ruse years. Banks had a solid first year and then regressed. McMillan was a solid starter for a year and a half and won us two bowl games. But I do agree the HS recruiting early on at the QB position was a total bust.

Also let's not forget Jack Abraham who was committed to us. The real "what if" is we would not have pushed him elsewhere and Ruse would have gone with a more pass friendly offense would we have been in a bowl sooner? How would that have changed things. Abraham is not a star, but he has been competent in his 5 stops. Yes he is still playing.
If we want to go down a "what if" rabbit hole, then what if Banks had been properly awarded a TD at SMU in 2017?
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Baywave1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am You simply outline the QB issues at alot of schools. How many four star and five star QBs transfer every year to try to get playing time.
Right. I guess my point is if Horton and Ibieta don't get their opportunities soon then they may be out the door. How long to we wait for Pratt to improve as a passer, play where he is not constantly injured, or looked shell-shocked at times. Will Pratt's guts and high team leadership qualities can actually delay the inevitable and we are left with Haggard and/or Ibieta who has his own struggles staying healthy.

Horton has shown he needs to be the solid NO.2 with with further significant playing time to come it Pratt doesn't level up pronto. More precisely, in this next three games before the bye week Pratt faces ECU - 79th pass defense, USF - 113th pass defense, Memphis - 123rd pass defense. If he doesn't have good performances and numbers it will be time give Horton a real chance.
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Sophandros wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:43 am

If we want to go down a "what if" rabbit hole, then what if Banks had been properly awarded a TD at SMU in 2017?
That's an interesting "what if" the move to McMillan the next year may not have happened as fast if Bank led us to a bowl. Do we lose the Memphis or Tulsa games if McMillan doesn't get in there?
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
EagerBiever
Breaker Level

Post by EagerBiever »

He'll be 25 in a few weeks and has played at 5 different schools, 2 at which he never took a snap. Him, Lindsey Scott, and Ty Pigrome have combined for 21 years at 14 schools. Incredible stuff.

Pigrome - 7 years at 4 schools (Maryland -> WKU -> Ole Miss -> Towson)
Abraham - 7 years at 5 schools (La Tech -> JUCO -> Southern Miss -> Miss St -> Missou)
Scott - 7 year at 5 schools (LSU -> JUCO -> Missouri -> Nicholls -> Incarnate Word)
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Poseidon wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:54 am
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:22 am You simply outline the QB issues at alot of schools. How many four star and five star QBs transfer every year to try to get playing time.
Right. I guess my point is if Horton and Ibieta don't get their opportunities soon then they may be out the door. How long to we wait for Pratt to improve as a passer, play where he is not constantly injured, or looked shell-shocked at times. Will Pratt's guts and high team leadership qualities can actually delay the inevitable and we are left with Haggard and/or Ibieta who has his own struggles staying healthy.

Horton has shown he needs to be the solid NO.2 with with further significant playing time to come it Pratt doesn't level up pronto. More precisely, in this next three games before the bye week Pratt faces ECU - 79th pass defense, USF - 113th pass defense, Memphis - 123rd pass defense. If he doesn't have good performances and numbers it will be time give Horton a real chance.
In all likelihood it is Horton who will face those three before Pratt comes back. We'll see what he can do very soon.