ECU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Re: ECU

Post by Marathon Wave »

1401973 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:54 pm Ahlers is a tough nut. He has no quit. Tons of experience. We can sack him 12 times and he’s going to get up and go again.
He will throw it deep a bunch.
He will throw some INTs but he will throw TDs.
And ECU can run the ball.

Long story short I think ECU is a big challenge for our D.

They kicked our arse last year.
I don't make any comparisons to last year. Birmingham. Ole Miss debacle. Pratt and Ibieta hurt. We weren't the Wave last year.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I'm pretty sure Ahlers was recruited by Steve Logan
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Re: ECU - Game time

Post by DCGreenie »

I hit several sites and, concurrently, some have kickoff at 3:30 PM Eastern and some 12:00 PM Eastern.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

The game is 2:30 CT. Some sites put the schedules out before the season and just use a time as a placeholder and don’t update them later. Before the season my mom asked why every Tulane game was at noon.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

thnx
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Post by Bham Wave »

ECU leading rusher missed last week and is week to week with injury.
Second leading rusher blew out knee last week and is out for the year.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Bham Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:23 am ECU leading rusher missed last week and is week to week with injury.
So they're going to pass, pass, and pass. Probably were going to anyway, but this surely reinforces it.

Hope we're up to it. While I expected Houston to be a real test of our pass defense, they're such a mess this year that I don't know if it really was. IMO, this week will pretty much fill out the full picture of where Tulane football 2022 is.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:19 am
Bham Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:23 am ECU leading rusher missed last week and is week to week with injury.
So they're going to pass, pass, and pass. Probably were going to anyway, but this surely reinforces it.

Hope we're up to it. While I expected Houston to be a real test of our pass defense, they're such a mess this year that I don't know if it really was. IMO, this week will pretty much fill out the full picture of where Tulane football 2022 is.
This seems to be one of those seasons where we never find out where the team is. Even if the pass defense passes its test if the offense doesn't play well without Pratt people will say well we didn't have our starting QB.
We deserve so much better
bwpirate
Sophomore

Post by bwpirate »

We have a solid running back group Number 2 this week will be Marlon Gunn a true freshman from Baton Rogue, La Scotlandville Magnet HS. He's seen a lot of action as the number 3 RB this season he runs with power and speed has good vision blocks well and is a good receiver. He's a load for a 18 year old kid.

Gunn video

https://tomandresky.smugmug.com/ECU-Cam ... -rc4C3mn/A

Number 3 will be Kamarro Edmonds a 4 star sophmore transfer from UNC.

You will see a running game.

Should be a great game always enjoy playing Tulane.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

bwpirate wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:05 pm We have a solid running back group Number 2 this week will be Marlon Gunn a true freshman from Baton Rogue, La Scotlandville Magnet HS. He's seen a lot of action as the number 3 RB this season he runs with power and speed has good vision blocks well and is a good receiver. He's a load for a 18 year old kid.

Gunn video

https://tomandresky.smugmug.com/ECU-Cam ... -rc4C3mn/A

Number 3 will be Kamarro Edmonds a 4 star sophmore transfer from UNC.

You will see a running game.

Should be a great game always enjoy playing Tulane.
Thanks, pirate. Good to know our competition checks in on this board for valuable insight.
MOVING ON UP!
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Even a loss to ecu isn't the end of our season. We can still get to 9-3. Although I'm sure it'll spell doom & gloom here.
MOVING ON UP!
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Even a loss to ecu isn't the end of our season. We can still get to 9-3. Although I'm sure it'll spell doom & gloom here.
Not all of us subscribe to the Rick Dickson philosophy of "wins and losses don't matter"
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Accidentally posted this in a different thread. For all the Holton Ahlers fans out there, Here is Ahlers vs a mystery AAC QB:

HA
2019: 3,387 yds, 59.3 comp %, 7.7 ypa, 17 TD, 10 INTs, QBR 135.2
2020: 1,921 yds, 61.3 comp %, 7.1 ypa, 18 TD, 9 INTs, QBR 136.7
2021: 3,126 yds, 61.8 comp %, 7.6 ypa, 18 TD, 10 INTs, QBR 134.8

Mystery QB
2019: 2,444 yds, 58.3 comp %, 7.8 ypa, 17 TDs, 10 INTs, QBR 135.2
2020: 1,806 yds, 55.1 comp %, 7.1 ypa, 20 TDs, 8 INTs, QBR 134.5
2021: 2,381 yds, 57.6 comp %, 7.3 ypa, 21 TD, 8 INTs, QBR 134.8

Any guesses as to who the mystery qb is? It's a trick question because it's two QBs. 2019 is Justin McMillan. 2020-21 is Michael Pratt. Other than raw passing yards, they don't strike me as too dissimilar. Ahlers completes a few more passes (hello Tulane WR drops), but also has a worse TD: INT ratio. I'm not listing this as a defense of Pratt. But if we are knocking him and praising Ahlers, shouldn't Ahlers look a little better on paper?

Now to be fair, Ahlers is having his best season so far. His line this year has him on pace to blow away his career highs in comp% (68.6%), ypa (8.8 ), TDs (15) and QBR (167). So maybe he dunks on us like he did last year. If you believe in our defense, however, it's worth noting that his numbers against NC St, the only truly good defense he's played so far, were worse than his career averages.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

ECU released their depth chart and it shows their #1 RB is playing.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:22 pm Accidentally posted this in a different thread. For all the Holton Ahlers fans out there, Here is Ahlers vs a mystery AAC QB:

HA

Mystery QB

Any guesses as to who the mystery qb is? It's a trick question because it's two QBs. 2019 is Justin McMillan. 2020-21 is Michael Pratt. Other than raw passing yards, they don't strike me as too dissimilar. Ahlers completes a few more passes (hello Tulane WR drops), but also has a worse TD: INT ratio. I'm not listing this as a defense of Pratt. But if we are knocking him and praising Ahlers, shouldn't Ahlers look a little better on paper?

Now to be fair, Ahlers is having his best season so far. His line this year has him on pace to blow away his career highs in comp% (68.6%), ypa (8.8 ), TDs (15) and QBR (167). So maybe he dunks on us like he did last year. If you believe in our defense, however, it's worth noting that his numbers against NC St, the only truly good defense he's played so far, were worse than his career averages.
May not have been talking about me but wanted to be clear my "praise" of Ahlers above was he was a tough nut.
I said he will throw it deep and that he throws INTs and TDs.
And that ECU could run.

Agree with you he's not that dissimilar to both McMillan and Pratt.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

1401973 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:37 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:22 pm Accidentally posted this in a different thread. For all the Holton Ahlers fans out there, Here is Ahlers vs a mystery AAC QB:

HA

Mystery QB

May not have been talking about me but wanted to be clear my "praise" of Ahlers above was he was a tough nut.
I said he will throw it deep and that he throws INTs and TDs.
And that ECU could run.

Agree with you he's not that dissimilar to both McMillan and Pratt.
It was not a shot at you, just wanted to reframe the little bit of chatter around Ahlers. When he first hit the scene I thought he might be really good but his numbers haven't progressed dramatically. It's not dissimilar from Pratt's development, actually. I don't want my post to be seen as knocking Ahlers either. His numbers are perfectly respectable and as we saw last week and in our game last year he's perfectly capable of torching some teams. I think your characterization is a good one.
bwpirate
Sophomore

Post by bwpirate »

Here's a video of Keaton Mitchel he's our number 1 back he's a burner he got a hip pointer in the Navy game and is back. The 2nd back you'll see is Rajah Harris he was the number 2 ACL injury and the last oew was our number 3 Marlon Gunn.

https://tomandresky.smugmug.com/ECU-ODU/i-8hzxGVW/A

We have two TE's that are an integral part of the offense.

Thanks ....

Tom
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

bwpirate wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 pm Here's a video of Keaton Mitchel he's our number 1 back he's a burner he got a hip pointer in the Navy game and is back. The 2nd back you'll see is Rajah Harris he was the number 2 ACL injury and the last oew was our number 3 Marlon Gunn.

Thanks ....

Tom
Appreciate the insight. Mitchell is a great player. Glad he's healthy even if it makes the matchup tougher. Curious, how does the ECU fan base feel about Ahlers? Do you think his current pace this season is sustainable? Definitely seems like he's raised his level early on, although it's hard to tell fully with non-con opponents being so variable.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pmEven a loss to ecu isn't the end of our season. We can still get to 9-3. Although I'm sure it'll spell doom & gloom here.
All depends HOW we lose. If we lose by clearly showing we can't actually defend a pass-happy team, then we are looking at more likely future losses and there is cause for concern. If we lose because of a couple of bad decisions by a rookie QB leading to turnovers or pick-6s but know we have our experienced QB coming back soon, then maybe all is not lost (Pratt haters notwithstanding). If we lose because of ST gaffes (again), that would be both (presumably) easily fixable, yet also befuddling to have it happen twice in three games.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm Even a loss to ecu isn't the end of our season. We can still get to 9-3. Although I'm sure it'll spell doom & gloom here.
Yes, we could; but Cincy, SMU and UCF appear to be tougher tasks than ECU, so a loss doesn't portend well for NY6 game or a conference title. If the goal is "winning season" or "bowl game" (certainly not my goal and hopefully not the team's) then, you know, probably okay. But heck, I remember the one good Scelfo team playing like it was in a coma and losing to 1-win Army, and then waxing USM the next week.
ECU has a good team and will come in hungry and ready and we will have to play a lot better than we did last week to beat them.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:56 pm Pratt haters
That would be exactly zero Tulane fans.
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GSx wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm Even a loss to ecu isn't the end of our season. We can still get to 9-3. Although I'm sure it'll spell doom & gloom here.
Yes, we could; but Cincy, SMU and UCF appear to be tougher tasks than ECU, so a loss doesn't portend well for NY6 game or a conference title. If the goal is "winning season" or "bowl game" (certainly not my goal and hopefully not the team's) then, you know, probably okay. But heck, I remember the one good Scelfo team playing like it was in a coma and losing to 1-win Army, and then waxing USM the next week.
ECU has a good team and will come in hungry and ready and we will have to play a lot better than we did last week to beat them.
The coach and the team have clearly stated the goal is to be conference champs. We won't accomplish that at 9-3 and we'll go to another no name bowl.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:36 pm
bwpirate wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 pm Here's a video of Keaton Mitchel he's our number 1 back he's a burner he got a hip pointer in the Navy game and is back. The 2nd back you'll see is Rajah Harris he was the number 2 ACL injury and the last oew was our number 3 Marlon Gunn.

Thanks ....

Tom
Appreciate the insight. Mitchell is a great player. Glad he's healthy even if it makes the matchup tougher. Curious, how does the ECU fan base feel about Ahlers? Do you think his current pace this season is sustainable? Definitely seems like he's raised his level early on, although it's hard to tell fully with non-con opponents being so variable.
We will have to keep playing great run defense and try to get pressure on Ahlers to prevent the deep pass.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

GSx wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:11 pm
If the rest of SMU’s starters quit, that game could be an easier win!
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

1401973 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:20 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:56 pm Pratt haters
That would be exactly zero Tulane fans.
That was admittedly a short and cheap term on my part because I was already in the middle of a run-on sentence and didn't want to make it worse by writing out what I really meant. What I really meant was, if Horton were to play and make some rookie mistakes that cost us the game, you could argue that getting Pratt back after that would remedy the problem... but there are lots of folks who think it might not, seeing as they think he makes bad decisions, throws costly interceptions, chokes under pressure, and tucks and runs after glancing at WR1. Nobody "hates" him, but there are plenty of posts here from those who feel he might not be a better choice than Horton based on a one-game sample.