ECU

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: ECU

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:32 pm
OGSB wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:21 pm ECU 41 USF 7 halftime
Has USF thrown for a passing TD yet this season? They are really bad.
Their first touchdown was a long passing td. I think they said something about that being their first of the year
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:35 pm
Poseidon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:31 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:29 am
waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:27 am If our defense keeps showing up we can beat anyone we play.
Absolutely. And if the offense doesn't become more consistent we can lose to anyone too. It may make for a year of stressful finishes
This. Lost in the celebration to the great end of the game was the reality that after scoring at around the 13:00 minute mark to last 3 minutes of the second half we had exactly 29 yards of total offense.40 minutes of no offesne left our defense out there to get fatigued.

Hopefully that had more to do with playing a 3rd string QB, but I'm not convinced.
I think Houston came out at halftime knowing we weren’t going to get too aggressive in the passing game with an inexperienced QB so they keyed in on the run and put pressure on Horton.
That's what I saw. OC finally gave Kai some plays he could handle.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Yankeewave wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:18 pm We better come to play next week.
Yes. One. Week. At. A. Time.
MOVING ON UP!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 pm
Their first touchdown was a long passing td. I think they said something about that being their first of the year
It was. Last week they were the only FBS team to not have a passing TD yet.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Post by QuarterbackU »

ECU is exponentially better than Houston.

In my opinion, this game will tell us a lot about how we will fare in AAC. To be a >.500 in AAC team, we’ll need to be able to keep up (both offense and defense) with a team that slings the ball around like ECU does.

I am glad we have the extra day of prep.

Most Important Reason to Beat ECU: Less games on ESPN+ with those two clown announcers.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:30 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:23 pm
It was. Last week they were the only FBS team to not have a passing TD yet.
They still almost beat Florida.
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

48-28 final
Victory is never permanent
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

OGSB wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:22 pm48-28 final
USF was inside 5 and almost s oredmto make,it 48-35. Still, wouldn't have been close. But they didn't quit.
MOVING ON UP!
SoFlaWave
Coach Level

Post by SoFlaWave »

It's all about Ahlers and their running back. If Pratt is not ready to come back, then Horton will have another week of practice to have an offensive plan. We are winning due to our defense.
SoFlaWave
Coach Level

Post by SoFlaWave »

It's all about Ahlers and their running back. If Pratt is not ready to come back, then Horton will have another week of practice to have an offensive plan. We are winning due to our defense.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

QuarterbackU wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:20 pm ECU is exponentially better than Houston.

In my opinion, this game will tell us a lot about how we will fare in AAC. To be a >.500 in AAC team, we’ll need to be able to keep up (both offense and defense) with a team that slings the ball around like ECU does.

I am glad we have the extra day of prep.

Most Important Reason to Beat ECU: Less games on ESPN+ with those two clown announcers.
1. I actually prefer our home ESPN+ duo over the team that calls AAC flagship games (that we had last night and who called Cincinnati/Indiana the prior week). I thought they were duds.

2. Even if we don't beat ECU, we still may be the best team in the West. It's a shame we're not doing divisions any more (we're not, right?).
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

right; no divisions
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I don’t think we will have a letdown after this win like we did against USM. We are going to be facing a tough conference opponent and we know what’s at stake. I’m guessing we will be favored by 3.5 or so when it opens tomorrow. I just hope the coaches make the right QB decision based on ability and not seniority. If they feel Pratt gives us the best chance to win then fine, go with that.

ECU will be feeling good about themselves after a 20 pt win over a bad USF team.

I don’t look at anything from last year’s anomaly, but in 2020 we beat ECU at their place while allowing 351 passing yards by Ahlers. The difference was that (a) they were 1-4 and we were 3-4, getting our 3rd road win which hadn’t been done since 1998 and (b) we held them to 35 yds rushing. For comparison, we had 216 passing and 277 rushing. While I know that means nothing for this year’s game, the point I’m making is that we have been pretty good against them and if we hold them to 35 yds rushing, we will win again. Pratt had 3 TDS and 1 INT in that game. We also committed 8 penalties in that game for 65 yds. We are much more disciplined than that. We committed our first defensive penalty yesterday, a face mask.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:09 pm
2. Even if we don't beat ECU, we still may be the best team in the West. It's a shame we're not doing divisions any more (we're not, right?).
SMU is better than ECU.
Gotta win. As I said early in the season, the relevant 6 is the NY6.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

ECU does not have more talent than Houston. They do Abe a far less divisive coach and a team that doesn’t quit. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

They played well yesterday but 1) we don’t yet know just HOW bad USF is 2) even ECU fans were concerned about how they let USF right back in the game in the third quarter.

They are good. And rapidly improving (I’m glad we get them in the first half of the season). It ain’t gonna be easy and we could def lose. But this is the type of game we should “expect” to win. Honestly, we should feel that way about every game until UCF
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
President's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Houston is not all that talented. Guerry Smith pointed out this week that they finished 8th in recruiting in the AAC from 2019-2021. Then throw in all the key players they have lost to injuries and there is no talent advantage for them.
We deserve so much better
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Tulane is still number one in country in pass defense and Top 15 in scoring defense and Total defense.

Ellender ball is back regardless of who QBs. I don’t know how Tulane will do against the spread but the under may be an attractive play
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:02 am. Honestly, we should feel that way about every game until UCF
I’d say Cincinnati
Tulane Greenbackers

FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I'm pretty sure Ahers has been at ECU since the mid-90s.

Also, the entire FW family will be at the game, so we win. Easily.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I just watched the highlights from the ECU game. The first couple TDs were long passes with multiple missed tackles. Then a punt returned to inside the 10, aided by, you guessed it, missed tackles. A few short TDS scored on fades to the back of the endzone.
Tulane Greenbackers

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:02 am They are good. And rapidly improving (I’m glad we get them in the first half of the season).
They're a good team, I don't know about the rapid improvement. They should have beaten NC State in week 1, but lost to Navy in week 4. They won 7 games and made a bowl last year.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Sp+ is out. Tulane 6.2, #53. Ecu 3.5, #64. That would project our line somewhere around Tulane -4.5
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 am Sp+ is out. Tulane 6.2, #53. Ecu 3.5, #64. That would project our line somewhere around Tulane -4.5
After ECU's win yesterday, ESPN dropped us to 70.3% chance to win.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

waverider wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:46 am
WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:02 am. Honestly, we should feel that way about every game until UCF
I’d say Cincinnati
UCF is certainly diminished. Depending on how we play in the meantime, I might even pick us to win it. I wouldn't use the word "expect"
purplehaz3
Breaker Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

WaveProf wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:51 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:31 am Sp+ is out. Tulane 6.2, #53. Ecu 3.5, #64. That would project our line somewhere around Tulane -4.5
After ECU's win yesterday, ESPN dropped us to 70.3% chance to win.
ESPN doesn’t know anything. We are significantly more talented than ECU. It’s about making the right plays and not making mistakes