Wave wins! Wave wins!

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Re: Wave wins! Wave wins!

Post by WaveProf »

long green wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:24 pm I thought Saturday was their best game pass rushing. Really. We didn’t bring extra guys much but we bothered Tune a lot more often than we did that freshman for USM.
I thought the same thing
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

Poseidon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:58 pm
waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:28 pm Horton had that “cool under pressure” look to him. When we needed a TD to tie it, he got it done. Then did it again in OT.
This is subject stuff, but Pratt looks like he is out there trying witih courage and talent to make the play he is told to make. Horton looks like he commanding the offense each play. It may sound abstract, but it's the difference between players like Losman and Griffin. Those two are the best Tulane comparable in style to Horton and Pratt. While they different levels of success at Tulane and were drafted at different levels. Griffin has been the NFL much longer and may be the better QB overall.
This is a great point, and you may be right.
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:16 am
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:19 am One unexpected pleasure were hundreds of players’ family members attended and winning touchdown was scored literally feet away from where they were sitting. Celebration was awesome

Saw Talianich’s, Monroe’s and many others. Always fun to share with Mom and Dad.

Finally although relatively small, band is very good and very spirited. We just have to get Tulane students to stay whole game like Houston’s does.
I was impressed we had the band, cheer, and dance all there. There were multiple times we scored right in front of the Tulane section and it was cool to see the players get high fives from them.
As many of you know, early-mid 1960s at Tulane: no band......
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:42 am
OGSB wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:47 pm Houston makes this week’s Misery Index: Four More In Misery
Just makes you feel bad for them, doesn't it?

(no, it doesn't) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I hope Holgo stays there a loooong time. But don't I remember, back when he was hired (or maybe the reason he was hired) someone associated with uh talked about not keeping a coach who had 4 losses?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 am
OGSB wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:47 pm Houston makes this week’s Misery Index: Four More In Misery

I hope Holgo stays there a loooong time. But don't I remember, back when he was hired (or maybe the reason he was hired) someone associated with uh talked about not keeping a coach who had 4 losses?
I think it was their AD....he also said they had mortgaged their future by not redshirting enough as justification for all the teams best players quitting after we beat them in 2019.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Marathon Wave
President's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:27 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:25 am

I think it was their AD....he also said they had mortgaged their future by not redshirting enough as justification for all the teams best players quitting after we beat them in 2019.
Thanks, I was hoping I had the right team.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

After we beat them and King and others quit, I remember someone here saying Holgerson historically liked playing 22-and 23-year olds, and redshirting like crazy to have an experienced, mature team. Perhaps that doesn't work in the portal era, or perhaps he just isn't a good coach, but he's certainly had time to try it and they're still a mess.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:31 am After we beat them and King and others quit, I remember someone here saying Holgerson historically liked playing 22-and 23-year olds, and redshirting like crazy to have an experienced, mature team. Perhaps that doesn't work in the portal era, or perhaps he just isn't a good coach, but he's certainly had time to try it and they're still a mess.
My favorite part was King leaving to go to Miami
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:59 am
visualmagic wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 pm
waverider wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:54 pm
GSx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 pm Great win!
On a side note, what kind of dingbat takes the ball first in OT?
Told my wife that they just gave us the game.

I understand why. They figured a TD would win it because our 3rd string QB wouldn’t score.

Before OT they showed Anderson and Spears praying together and I told my wife “see that. Those two are going to win this thing”.

I’m just glad my belief in Hampton (and the Canady/Clark combo) hasn’t let me down
Holgo elected to get the ball 1st in OT in at least 1 of their previous 2 OT games this season.
He said that the analytics show that the team to get the ball 1st in OT wins 56% of the time. Personally, I don’t agree with the decision.
54% now.
And I, too, didn't agree with his decision (from a uh viewpoint). I was shocked when they elected to go first.
I’d play defense first too but in golf you work to get and keep the honors which has you teeing off first to put pressure on opponent to match. So there is a lot of precedent for it in another sport
But you don't play the entire hole first, letting your opponent (match play I guess) know what score he needs to win.
Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Good points. Just trying to understand Dana’s logic through analogy.

Interestingly old baseball extra inning rule has given home teams a big edge historically in success because you always have last at bat. Glad Dana’s not a baseball fan
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am Good points. Just trying to understand Dana’s logic through analogy.

Interestingly old baseball extra inning rule has given home teams a big edge historically in success because you always have last at bat. Glad Dana’s not a baseball fan
I mentioned what I thought his logic was either in this thread or the scoreboard. He assumed they would get a TD and put pressure on our 3rd string QB.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

ml wave wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:47 am
Baywave1 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:12 am

I’d play defense first too but in golf you work to get and keep the honors which has you teeing off first to put pressure on opponent to match. So there is a lot of precedent for it in another sport
But you don't play the entire hole first, letting your opponent (match play I guess) know what score he needs to win.
And if you DID play the entire hole first, golfers would want to tee off last.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:08 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am Good points. Just trying to understand Dana’s logic through analogy.

I mentioned what I thought his logic was either in this thread or the scoreboard. He assumed they would get a TD and put pressure on our 3rd string QB.
Yeah, there's an Athletic article about it which kinda goes into it but doesn't really give that much clarity.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

GSx wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:06 am Horton made some really nice throws. Most sideline throws were outside where they could only be caught or OB. (an exception was the OT throw that got the fortunate PI call). On the winner, he pulled back from his first choice, seeing that the CB was jumping the route (likely pick 6 had he thrown to the first option); the safety made a good recovery on Spears, but Horton put the ball right where it had to be. Thank goodness for QB depth.
I think that was an intentional pump fake to draw the CB up, not a pull back.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Do yourself a favor and rewatch that play in superslomo or pause as the play progresses.
You will see the light go off in Horton’s head.
But then he delivered on time and where only we could catch it….all within milliseconds.
He ain’t Drew Brees, but damn it’s as impressive a winning TD TU throw that I can remember.
DCGreenie
Coach Level

Post by DCGreenie »

DCGreenie wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:45 am
Poseidon wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:58 pm
waverider wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:28 pm Horton had that “cool under pressure” look to him. When we needed a TD to tie it, he got it done. Then did it again in OT.
This is subject stuff, but Pratt looks like he is out there trying witih courage and talent to make the play he is told to make. Horton looks like he commanding the offense each play. It may sound abstract, but it's the difference between players like Losman and Griffin. Those two are the best Tulane comparable in style to Horton and Pratt. While they different levels of success at Tulane and were drafted at different levels. Griffin has been the NFL much longer and may be the better QB overall.
This is a great point, and you may be right.
Does anybody have any reliable info on the nature and extent of Pratt's injury?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

We won in more than one way. According to this site, our game was the second rated cable show Friday night (after the Washington/UCLA game that followed).

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/show ... inals.html

Saw this on Twitter.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson