Ryan Murphy leaving program

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
FW
Cornerstone

Ryan Murphy leaving program

Post by FW »

Grad transfer b-ball player from Pitt is turning pro

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Re: Ryan Murphy leaving program

Post by Yankeewave »

probably indicates the likelihood he thinks that the season will happen.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

Yankeewave wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:10 am
That's my guess too. Much more chance he gets to play if he has something professional lined up overseas than expecting college ball to happen here.

I'm assuming he has a connection to an agent and that agent got him an offer for somewhere overseas, probably said "I have a spot for you if you want it but you have to take it now or it will be filled by someone else" and so he's gone. I haven't followed closely but isn't it true that some European nations have virtually eliminated COVID? Maybe they are much more confident that games will happen.

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Yankeewave wrote:
That's my guess too. Much more chance he gets to play if he has something professional lined up overseas than expecting college ball to happen here.

I'm assuming he has a connection to an agent and that agent got him an offer for somewhere overseas, probably said "I have a spot for you if you want it but you have to take it now or it will be filled by someone else" and so he's gone. I haven't followed closely but isn't it true that some European nations have virtually eliminated COVID? Maybe they are much more confident that games will happen.
But a lot of them are not allowing Americans to enter due to our higher rate of infection.

I suspect he got an offer worth taking over continuing in school in a COVID world with a severely curtailed college experience. Can't say he's wrong in his choice, depending on how good an offer he has, or course.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

GretnaGrn wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:59 pm
PeteRasche wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Yankeewave wrote:

But a lot of them are not allowing Americans to enter due to our higher rate of infection.

I suspect he got an offer worth taking over continuing in school in a COVID world with a severely curtailed college experience. Can't say he's wrong in his choice, depending on how good an offer he has, or course.
The entire EU is not allowing Americans, and seeing as how we screwed the pooch on all this, I don’t blame them. She returned to the UK with her British husband in early June and even though she has been out of the US for over 2 weeks, the EU doesn’t care. American passport means no admittance. Plus, it’s not like it’s a whole lot better in the UK either.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

No seniors eligibility wise on the roster and only 8 eligible scholarship players if the transfers are not granted eligibility. It does look like the NCAA is handing out waivers like they are candy so I assume we will have way more than 8.

I am sticking with my prediction that Jordan Walker assumes the leadership role and takes a massive leap forward.

I can’t blame Murphy. He was a nice get for us. I don’t mean to slight him, but is there good money to be had for a player with his resume overseas?

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:55 am
No seniors eligibility wise on the roster and only 8 eligible scholarship players if the transfers are not granted eligibility. It does look like the NCAA is handing out waivers like they are candy so I assume we will have way more than 8.

I am sticking with my prediction that Jordan Walker assumes the leadership role and takes a massive leap forward.

I can’t blame Murphy. He was a nice get for us. I don’t mean to slight him, but is there good money to be had for a player with his resume overseas?
Just like how the value of an antique is "whatever someone is willing to pay for it", I imagine the value of someone with his resume is "whatever some team sees in the value of his type of player and how good of a job searcher/salesperson his agent is".