Idea on renewing the rivalry

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Wavefan
Coach Level

Idea on renewing the rivalry

Post by Wavefan »

I think several things have occurred that point to renewing the rivalry on the football field with our buds from Baton Rouge. One, we are getting better. No denying that is a major factor - makes more sense for them AND us to play the game the more competitive we become. Two, the coronavirus may not be forever, or it may be, but even if it isn't I think a "lesson learned" for all of us is there are still true advantages to scheduling opponents that are a bus ride away. Three, I think both sets of fans would gladly exchange a 1AA opponent for a more meaningful game against a historical rival.

Playing there only is a non-starter. So are three for ones, and in my view, two for ones. I initially thought make it home and home with the condition that we play our home games against LSU in the dome. But I think even better is to move it back to the traditional Thanksgiving time slot and make it a NEUTRAL site game in the dome every year. The dome is not our home. It can be like the red river shoot out, the old iron bowl, or the annual Florida/Georgia game in J-ville. Give LSU control of a majority of the tickets, say 60/40, even 65/35, because reality is they have more alumni, more students, and more sidewalk fans. Each team keeps their gate and splits concessions and expenses by the same ratio. It becomes, again, an event that all Louisiana football fans can cherish.

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Idea on renewing the rivalry

Post by GretnaGrn »

LoSer-U will never agree to this. The closer we get to them in quality, the less likely they are to agree. Playing them outside of a very lucky bowl draw won't happen unless we want to be treated like the FCS schools by LoSer-U. I wish I were wrong but I'm confident I'm not.

doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Wavefan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:25 pm
Playing there only is a non-starter.
I don't understand this mentality. A - you've got to start somewhere. B - they would pay us well. C - do you really think if they played us in the Dome, it wouldn't be a home game for them anyway?
Bring home da Wave!

GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Playing there is only is not the place to start. If we do that, it's not a rivalry game anymore, which defeats the premise of this. It makes us a "little brother", which we aren't. We can get many teams to pay us fat checks to play at their place, if we need/want to do that at all anymore.
Playing on Thanksgiving too, while perhaps important to re-establishing a rivalry, isn't going to happen either.

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

doncecco wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:59 am
Wavefan wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:25 pm
Playing there only is a non-starter.
I don't understand this mentality. A - you've got to start somewhere. B - they would pay us well. C - do you really think if they played us in the Dome, it wouldn't be a home game for them anyway?
Have some self-respect
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

cfb#1
Trainer

Post by cfb#1 »

First thing that needs to happen is to get back on the schedule. LSU plays an in state school every year. Tulane needs to get on that and win or at least make them crap their pants. Tulane does not have the younger local connection it once had to make it a big rivalry. There are fewer and fewer split families these days. I would say that UL has a bigger fan base rivalry with LSU than Tulane.

Consistently win and the rivalry will rekindle on it's own.

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Home and home or one in the Dome. Period.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

cfb#1 wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:15 pm
First thing that needs to happen is to get back on the schedule. LSU plays an in state school every year. Tulane needs to get on that and win or at least make them crap their pants. Tulane does not have the younger local connection it once had to make it a big rivalry. There are fewer and fewer split families these days. I would say that UL has a bigger fan base rivalry with LSU than Tulane.

Consistently win and the rivalry will rekindle on it's own.

It's the pandemic so my response is [Redacted]
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

WaveProf
Emerald Circle

Post by WaveProf »

Anywhere anytime. Get this done.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16