Tulane vs Southeastern preview

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
speckled trout
Breaker Level

Tulane vs Southeastern preview

Post by speckled trout »

I run a Tulane fan page on twitter and write for a sports media page in my free time. Here’s a breakdown of the season opener vs Southeastern

https://fifthquarter.net/fcs/2020/07/28 ... louisiana/
"You are unique, just like everyone else"

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Southeastern preview

Post by Baywave1 »

I embrace your cautious optimism about the game being played.

If it is a "bloodbath" as you suggest, I'm going with the Mad Max Wave to cover the spread. Regardless it won't be Thunderdome. Me suspects we all enjoy this one on the tube if at all.

speckled trout
Breaker Level

Post by speckled trout »

Baywave1 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:48 am

If it is a "bloodbath" as you suggest, I'm going with the Mad Max Wave to cover the spread. Regardless it won't be Thunderdome. Me suspects we all enjoy this one on the tube if at all.
What I think will happen is the NCAA plays for a week or two and some teams will (inevitably) get sick and this will force the season to fold.
"You are unique, just like everyone else"

Poseidon
President's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

That's just it though the NCAA has no control over the SEC. It they try to shut them down before that then the SEC might break from the NCAA football.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If the SEC tried to keep a lid on things and force a football season in the teeth of an outbreak among its players the first leak and complaint from a player would drop a media H-Bomb on the SEC. They'd fold so fast it would make your....day.
The gap between the top of the big leagues and their bottom is now bigger than the gap between their bottom and us - P.R. told me to do this

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Assuming we play this game as scheduled (or even later), SLU is going to be replacing its top 4 DBs on an already bad pass defense. They're replacing their QB Virgil who was really good last year, but Cole Kelley played well when he got to play. He certainly is battle tested (started for Arkansas against Alabama as a Freshman and made 6 starts total for Arkansas). They likely won't miss a beat there. They return their top receivers. In typical Frank Scelfo fashion, their receivers catch a lot of passes but the YPC are low. Tackling will be key in this game a lot like it was last year against FIU.

We're a veteran team. Not many young guys will make the 2 deep on this roster and almost every freshman will redshirt again for the second year in a row. This is a game we should win handily, and it should be a game where Keon Howard can come out and have some success throwing the ball. Willie Fritz has had a lot of success in these FCS games at home. None of them have really been close. I don't think this one is going to be close either, and I think we put up a big number on the scoreboard. Tulane 63, SLU 20.

......but like many of you, I'm not confident that this one gets played (at least not in September).
This one belongs to the Wave.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am
If the SEC tried to keep a lid on things and force a football season in the teeth of an outbreak among its players the first leak and complaint from a player would drop a media H-Bomb on the SEC. They'd fold so fast it would make your....day.
The "Front Line Doctors" disagree with you. 8)

I'm not so sure they cave. The SEC, and frankly the southeastern United States, is, well... to avoid the "no politics" rules, let's just say y'all know how the majority of southerners feel about COVID and masks and distancing and "being told what to do by politicians" (it's kinda obvious). The rest of the country might rail on the southeast for playing football through a pandemic, but just add it to the historical list of things about which southeasterners proudly ignore the opinions of the rest of the country, and keep right on "doing it their way". With the money at play and the majority of SEC fans preferring football over safety (no, I do not have stats to back this up, but do you doubt it's true?)... they could easily go with a conference-only schedule and ignore the naysayers in other parts of the country (and the minority in their own). Heck, they'd probably choose to shut campuses down and go online-learning-only (creating their own "bubble") if that's what it takes to keep football going.

On one hand, I hope I'm wrong and they realize how foolish this all would be for a game... on the other hand, I'd prefer that things actually get better and they don't really ever have to consider shutting down.

Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

Its been pretty boring around here since the pandemic. Situation changed!

krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

Yankeewave wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:50 pm
This does not seem productive for our school or fanbase.
Productive if the intent is to get the thread locked
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt

Wavefan
Coach Level

Post by Wavefan »

Good analysis mr. trout. I like that you have respect for the lions. They do have a chance and need to be seen as a worthy opponent. Which I’m sure our staff stresses. Sure hope this game gets played and we get to attend.

Carolina Greenie
Riptide Level

Post by Carolina Greenie »

:-D
I was all stressed out, dealing with patients issues, practice management issues, remote patient care technology/billing issues, etc... when I dropped in on YOGWF to catch up on Tulane Sports news to find the latest dust up here.

and while it's killing 15 mins of my own productivity, it brings a smile to my face that the world marches on
really, not being sarcastic

Thanks guys, and Roll Wave

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 pm
Yankeewave wrote:
That's exactly what will happen if all of the foolishness I just deleted continues.

If anyone has a problem with my deleting those posts then they can feel free to address me directly.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Soph, Thanks

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:41 am
long green wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:38 am
The "Front Line Doctors" disagree with you. 8)

I'm not so sure they cave. The SEC, and frankly the southeastern United States, is, well... to avoid the "no politics" rules, let's just say y'all know how the majority of southerners feel about COVID and masks and distancing and "being told what to do by politicians" (it's kinda obvious). The rest of the country might rail on the southeast for playing football through a pandemic, but just add it to the historical list of things about which southeasterners proudly ignore the opinions of the rest of the country, and keep right on "doing it their way". With the money at play and the majority of SEC fans preferring football over safety (no, I do not have stats to back this up, but do you doubt it's true?)... they could easily go with a conference-only schedule and ignore the naysayers in other parts of the country (and the minority in their own). Heck, they'd probably choose to shut campuses down and go online-learning-only (creating their own "bubble") if that's what it takes to keep football going.

On one hand, I hope I'm wrong and they realize how foolish this all would be for a game... on the other hand, I'd prefer that things actually get better and they don't really ever have to consider shutting down.
Yes I doubt it is true. The whole country loves football. It's why all 130 D-1 teams are together and working out preparing to play the season. It's why all 32 NFL teams are together and working out and preparing to play the season. So if the rest of the country shut down football the southeast would too.

You're also clearly wrong about the mask issue. The Republican speaker of the House in the Louisiana legislature just did a poll and it showed the vast majority of people here are in favor of the Governors statewide order to wear mask. The silent majority doesn't think the way you want to insist. Shame on you for that generalization.
Here we come!

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Sophandros wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 am
krewe of ham and eggs wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:07 pm
Yankeewave wrote:
That's exactly what will happen if all of the foolishness I just deleted continues.

If anyone has a problem with my deleting those posts then they can feel free to address me directly.
No issue with deleting them. I do want to give you a hat tip for taking ownership of the deleting unlike some other mods.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Thanks, Soph.
Tulane Class of 1978 | NROTC Tulane - Submariner | From everywhere and nowhere

waverider
Emerald Circle

Post by waverider »

speckled trout wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 am
Baywave1 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:48 am

What I think will happen is the NCAA plays for a week or two and some teams will (inevitably) get sick and this will force the season to fold.
If MLB cancels the rest of the season it could be a precedent for other levels of sport.

I would be happy for TV-only games with conference only schedule over no games at all.

As for the game, if played. I think we could have 600yds if Keon’s passing is equal to what McMillan’s was.
Tulane Greenbackers

"It's my job to prepare the coaches. It's their job is to prepare the players and the players' job is to play lights out." Willie Fritz

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson

Wandering Quaker
President's Circle

Post by Wandering Quaker »

Man, I hope this game is played.

To the review: I don't understand how SELA scores 20 points. I can imagine TU scoring only 40 or so. But how does that offense, without the QB, score on three-four possessions. I don't see it.

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Wandering Quaker wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:40 pm
Man, I hope this game is played.

To the review: I don't understand how SELA scores 20 points. I can imagine TU scoring only 40 or so. But how does that offense, without the QB, score on three-four possessions. I don't see it.
They actually have a pretty good QB. Cole Kelley started 8 games at Arkansas before transferring. He played quite a bit last year and had success when he played. Completed 69 of 93 passes for 816 yards, 10 TDs and 2 INTs. He rushed 89 times for 200 yards and scored 10 rushing TDs. Southeastern loves to throw short, low risk passes, and they hope for run after the catch yardage. The offense is a lot like what we saw last year with FIU. FIU's issue was that they couldn't stretch the field, and for most of the game, we made tackles and didn't let guys get free to pick up yards after the catch. It will be interesting to see what Kelley's arm strength does to the offensive game plan. They could come out and try a few shot plays to try to get our safeties to play deep which would leave us more vulnerable to YAC. Last year FIU tried that but Morgan underthrew is receiver who had gotten behind Keyes and Keurschen and Keyes made a diving pick. FIU never established the threat of the deep ball and we sat on the short routes. Will SLU be able to have more success? If the answer is yes, they could score 20 points. If the answer is no, they may struggle to score 10.

Their defense isn't going to be bad even by FCS standards. They lost a lot on the back end of an already bad defense. If we're humming on offense, we could hit 60 in this game no problem. We could have a bad night and score 42.

PeteRasche
Emerald Circle

Post by PeteRasche »

TU23 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:11 pm
Their defense isn't going to be bad even by FCS standards.
Pretty sure that was a typo and you meant their defense IS going to be bad even by FCS standards...

TU23
President's Circle

Post by TU23 »

Yes, a very big typo. They are going to be bad on defense.

TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

I'm assuming that the Southland Conference still plans to compete in the fall, and forego the opportunity to compete for FCS championships in the spring, if any. Has anyone heard differently?

LionUp
Rookie

Post by LionUp »

TU77CAL82 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 pm
I'm assuming that the Southland Conference still plans to compete in the fall, and forego the opportunity to compete for FCS championships in the spring, if any. Has anyone heard differently?
We aren't playing

wavedom
Coach Level

Post by wavedom »

LionUp wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:09 pm
TU77CAL82 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:16 pm
We aren't playing

You sure about that? It hasn't been announced anywhere that I know of.
Here we come!

Baywave1
Regent's Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Lion fan is too cryptic. He or she could be saying we're not playing in the fall or the spring or both or just not the FCS championships.

Interestingly Omaha paper today reported that Stephen Austin HC reached out to Nebraska to schedule a game this fall . So obviously he did not get Lion fan's message if Southland Conference/SLU is bailing on fall ball.

Anyway just curious on the first point. Where is it written that an FCS team couldn't play in both fall and then the spring FCS playoffs?

Also I guess that Bayou Classic may be scheduled such that SWAC champ could play (one time only?) in FCS playoff in spring.

All idle speculation.