2022 Freshman Contributors (redshirt or true)

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

2022 Freshman Contributors (redshirt or true)

Post by tjtlja »

I’ll take a stab at it based on reports I have seen -

Shadre Hurst - heard he is has really been impressive. Does the staff experiment with moving Sincere to OG to get the best 5 OL on the field if Hurst continues to improve?

Chris Brazzell - can he crack the 2 deep rotation? The first 6 WR’s probably are Jackson, the Watt twins, Wyatt, Keys, and ???

Blake Gunter - is he going to crack the 3 deep at TE? It appears James, Wallace, and Brown are the current leaders, I think.

Makhi Hughes - all reports say this kid has impressed. With all the RB’s we have, if he plays he must be special.

Cadian Robinson - shows up on a lot of the reports. Can he contribute (perhaps on special teams)?

Kentrell Webb - another player that is mentioned. Is he on the 2 deep?

Taylor Love - had a big play in the scrimmage today. Can he wiggle his way within the two deep?

DL Hamilton, Baudoin, Henderson - do any of these guys have a shot to play? Haven’t heard much to date on any of the three.

Dea Dea McDougle (RS FR) - has he been consistent enough to play a lot of snaps?

Bryce Bohannon (RS FR) - his name has been mentioned quite a bit. Consistence is what the coaches are looking for. Bohannon has been up and down, but has made some spectacular catches.

Trey Tuggle (RS FR) - how has he recovered from the injury? Is he consistent enough this fall? Is he one of the best 5 OL? Can he play OG?

Bailey Despanie (RS FR) - has been mentioned some by Guerry. Does he have shot by cracking the 2 deep? Does he play special teams?

Mandel Eugene (RS FR) - how has he looked? Not much has been said about the LB’s in camp which is probably a very good sign. The first three will be Anderson, Dorian, and Machado. Who are the backups?

Corey Platt (RS FR) - same as Eugene above. Is there a large gap between the top 3 and the rest of LB’s?

Lunz, Deal, Champaigne (all RS freshman) - reports on Dean have been encouraging. Do we have enough depth on the outside to play three units?

Please chime in with your thoughts and what you have been able to gather. Add players I may have missed.
G-wave
Navigator Level

Re: 2022 Freshman Contributors (redshirt or true)

Post by G-wave »

It's easyier pulling teeth than getting info from Camp. But I think Coach is snakebit from bragging last year then going 2-10. I've heard a little don't know if it's true or not but here goes. Hughes has been outstanding running the ball but getting the 3headed monster of spears, clayton and carroll ready for the season start most of the rest of the reps are going to celestine who they are high on and want to see his developement continue. This leaves him behind in the passing O and blitz pickup. Hurst with both true backup Centers Thomas and Remetich hurt he was thrown in the fire and looks real good , Don't know if he keeps it when they come back ? The 3rd Team TE will be shared between Brown who is the better blocker but has dropped a few passes and Tr FR Gunter who has impressed as a pass catcher and could be real weapon at some point. At WR we have went from a 9 man rotation to a five with Mcdougle being #5 but not because of Talent but learning to be more consistant. If any one has an injury or a few bad practices he leap frog to the top. DL too many vets coming back to give the FR an opening. At LB we are looking for a 4th from Eugene, Platt and love I have been told Platt may be one weigh room year from being a starter he has the talent and speed to be a 3 down LB . The only secondary news is a bad one with our top rated FR out for the year in what is a paper thin room. Coach might regret not picking up another vet in the portal.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Because of the offenses we face, we will play a lot of nickel which limits our LB group to two at a time. We will play 3 at times and need at least a fourth to be reliable. (Don’t forget Anderson was injured for part of the season).

Before hearing about the few (minor) injuries in the secondary I didn’t think we would see significant time from true freshmen unless someone special emerged.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

G-wave wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:47 pm It's easyier pulling teeth than getting info from Camp. But I think Coach is snakebit from bragging last year then going 2-10. I've heard a little don't know if it's true or not but here goes. Hughes has been outstanding running the ball but getting the 3headed monster of spears, clayton and carroll ready for the season start most of the rest of the reps are going to celestine who they are high on and want to see his developement continue. This leaves him behind in the passing O and blitz pickup. Hurst with both true backup Centers Thomas and Remetich hurt he was thrown in the fire and looks real good , Don't know if he keeps it when they come back ? The 3rd Team TE will be shared between Brown who is the better blocker but has dropped a few passes and Tr FR Gunter who has impressed as a pass catcher and could be real weapon at some point. At WR we have went from a 9 man rotation to a five with Mcdougle being #5 but not because of Talent but learning to be more consistant. If any one has an injury or a few bad practices he leap frog to the top. DL too many vets coming back to give the FR an opening. At LB we are looking for a 4th from Eugene, Platt and love I have been told Platt may be one weigh room year from being a starter he has the talent and speed to be a 3 down LB . The only secondary news is a bad one with our top rated FR out for the year in what is a paper thin room. Coach might regret not picking up another vet in the portal.
G-wave and waverider, thank you for the reports.

DB’s - to clarify the secondary room, the top 6 should be Canady, Young, Monroe, L. Robinson, Brooks, & Clark. That is solid but thin. I presume Douglas is next in the pecking order. Do they like any combination of Webb, Despanie, Laister, Harrison, Huggins, Presley, and C. Robinson? I know they were high on Pleasant (tough break indeed). What about the walk-on Rattan - does he have a legitimate shot?

WR’s - I presumed the top 5 were the Watt twins, Jackson, Keys, and Wyatt. If Dea Dea is top 5, which one the 5 I mentioned is out of the rotation right now. It has been a long time, but I think we have 3 legitimate home run threats if healthy. Spears, Jackson, and Keys can take it to the house at any time. I hope these guys are all on the field at the same time. If Jalen Rogers was ready, you could have a 4th. Can’t remember us with so many game breakers. Does Brazzell size get him on the field this year?

TE - what about Bauman? I know he is very athletic. Any chance we see him?

DL - I figured it would be tough for any of those guys to crack the two deep. I was hoping one of the three (Hamilton, Baudoin, & Henderson) would be pushing for playing time. I was hoping one of them would emerge given the quality of the first two units. Just would have made the room deeper than it already is. Any word on Tylo Phillips?

OL - do we have 8-9 legitimate AAC guys? Would any combination of Green, Claybrook, Sincere, Thomas, Ray, Pines, Hurst, Remetich, and Tuggle get us there? Have Lillibridge, Solomon, Lombardi, or Fort made any headway? Does Sully have any chance given he is listed on the 2 deep?
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Don't take this as Gospel but this is what I've been told about the WR's. Jackson is a playmaker at both WR and KR the only reason for the So. slump is some knee problems and that was the only reason. Coach has said Duce Watts has NFL talent from day one when he arrived he had D1 talent but not a D1 body the hits took its toll. He was always dinged up and developed bad habits like dropping passes out of frustration but he is now ready to make an impact. Wyatt is MR. Reliable while not really fast but he uses his wide body to shield defenders and catches everything close to him. He will be the safety valve and if the OL has a bad year he could have a big one. They said Keys was kicking off rust this Spring but it was learning the system and a minor ankle problem that held him back. After a great summer he exploded from day one in Camp. Mcdougle struggled since coming here but the light started coming on at the end of spring and has had a Camp full of big plays they want him to be a force on every play. Phat Watts may have led the nation in droppes the last two years but has improved 100% now they want to see more separation from DB's. Everyone else needs to keep working hard for when their chance comes. Last year the backups were not ready and it showed. The good news is there is enough camp left and we really don't need to set the rotation till the 3rd game. I hope.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

G-wave wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:38 pm Don't take this as Gospel but this is what I've been told about the WR's. Jackson is a playmaker at both WR and KR the only reason for the So. slump is some knee problems and that was the only reason. Coach has said Duce Watts has NFL talent from day one when he arrived he had D1 talent but not a D1 body the hits took its toll. He was always dinged up and developed bad habits like dropping passes out of frustration but he is now ready to make an impact. Wyatt is MR. Reliable while not really fast but he uses his wide body to shield defenders and catches everything close to him. He will be the safety valve and if the OL has a bad year he could have a big one. They said Keys was kicking off rust this Spring but it was learning the system and a minor ankle problem that held him back. After a great summer he exploded from day one in Camp. Mcdougle struggled since coming here but the light started coming on at the end of spring and has had a Camp full of big plays they want him to be a force on every play. Phat Watts may have led the nation in droppes the last two years but has improved 100% now they want to see more separation from DB's. Everyone else needs to keep working hard for when their chance comes. Last year the backups were not ready and it showed. The good news is there is enough camp left and we really don't need to set the rotation till the 3rd game. I hope.
that is such positive news I'd like to take it as gospel despite the "warning label"
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:47 am
G-wave wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:38 pm Don't take this as Gospel but this is what I've been told about the WR's. Jackson is a playmaker at both WR and KR the only reason for the So. slump is some knee problems and that was the only reason. Coach has said Duce Watts has NFL talent from day one when he arrived he had D1 talent but not a D1 body the hits took its toll. He was always dinged up and developed bad habits like dropping passes out of frustration but he is now ready to make an impact. Wyatt is MR. Reliable while not really fast but he uses his wide body to shield defenders and catches everything close to him. He will be the safety valve and if the OL has a bad year he could have a big one. They said Keys was kicking off rust this Spring but it was learning the system and a minor ankle problem that held him back. After a great summer he exploded from day one in Camp. Mcdougle struggled since coming here but the light started coming on at the end of spring and has had a Camp full of big plays they want him to be a force on every play. Phat Watts may have led the nation in droppes the last two years but has improved 100% now they want to see more separation from DB's. Everyone else needs to keep working hard for when their chance comes. Last year the backups were not ready and it showed. The good news is there is enough camp left and we really don't need to set the rotation till the 3rd game. I hope.
that is such positive news I'd like to take it as gospel despite the "warning label"
What could go wrong!?
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Literally nothing bad can happen that we haven’t seen before.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:20 am Literally nothing bad can happen that we haven’t seen before.

Wow, there's mojo, there's vibrations, and then there's this statement. Yikes.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Guys look good but don’t measure up in real games and we suffer for it? Seen it. Many times.

Promising season wrecked by injuries? Seen it. Many times.

Season wrecked by sociopath head coach using the courts to play his clearly ineligible son? Seen it. But just once.

If anyone here thinks I’m whistling past the graveyard and tries to think up special terrible things that could happen they will only be combing through their own bad memories as Tulane fans. And mine. As Arnold said in Terminator 2, “I have extensive files.”
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I would have missed irrational family loyalty from the boss tanks the team. What was worse, he even benched a later NFL QB to do it. It was nepotism run amok like Paul Newman and Daniel Craig in “Road to Perdition.”

The tough one is always evaluating a new player who looks good in practice preseason. Is he good or are the practice opponents bad?
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

So we are wafer thin at CB? Nothing to worry about there…
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Man in Green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:11 am So we are wafer thin at CB? Nothing to worry about there…
It's not like corners are important in modern football...
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:36 am Guys look good but don’t measure up in real games and we suffer for it? Seen it. Many times.
Season wrecked by sociopath head coach using the courts to play his clearly ineligible son? Seen it. But just once.
If anyone here thinks I’m whistling past the graveyard and tries to think up special terrible things that could happen they will only be combing through their own bad memories as Tulane fans. And mine. As Arnold said in Terminator 2, “I have extensive files.”
I'm just sayin', NEVER say "it can't get worse." It can ALWAYS get worse. :dots:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Man in Green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:11 am So we are wafer thin at CB? Nothing to worry about there…
OK, I have a list

1 don't ever say "wafer thin" in front of me.. it brings to mind the image of Mr. Creosote exploding in "The Meaning of Life".. so stop
2 we were thin at CB back in the spring when 2 WRs were converted to the position out of need... so I hope you have been worrying this whole time
3 I don't think the injuries are serious.. just a slight speed bump this early in camp.. if we are still dangerously thin at CB on August 31st... worry
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

G-wave, again thank you for your thoughts.

When you get a chance, can you provide further insight on the other follow-up questions I asked as it relates to the other units. Thanks!
Man in Green
Regent's Circle

Post by Man in Green »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 pm
OK, I have a list

1 don't ever say "wafer thin" in front of me.. it brings to mind the image of Mr. Creosote exploding in "The Meaning of Life".. so stop
2 we were thin at CB back in the spring when 2 WRs were converted to the position out of need... so I hope you have been worrying this whole time
3 I don't think the injuries are serious.. just a slight speed bump this early in camp.. if we are still dangerously thin at CB on August 31st... worry
Glad you picked up on the Python reference
"Don't hit me with those negative waves so early in the morning" Oddball to Moriarty in Kelly's Heroes
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Man in Green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:13 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 pm
OK, I have a list

Glad you picked up on the Python reference
you'd appreciate my comment on the Twit in re the guy who rammed the barricade at the Capitol and then shot himself.. I commented "so he went full People's Front of Judea Suicide Squad... bold strategy, let's see if it pays off for him"... mixed in another movie quote
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Guerry’s story today has a last section about possible freshman contributors. Alex Bauman is mentioned instead of Blake Gunter which makes it sound like we nailed it recruiting TE’s this year. My man crush from this class, Kameron Hamilton, is also mentioned. Several names after that, the sort of thing fans like to read in August.

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... 21845.html
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

If one of the DBs is even 2/3 as good as what Canady was last year our secondary will be pretty good.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
LondonWave
Coach Level

Post by LondonWave »

long green wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:36 am Guys look good but don’t measure up in real games and we suffer for it? Seen it. Many times.

You could add in something about a hurricane displacing the team or flooding the city...
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

LondonWave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:44 am

You could add in something about a hurricane displacing the team or flooding the city...
Seen hurricanes screw with us in a notable way three times.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:24 am
LondonWave wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:44 am

Seen hurricanes screw with us in a notable way three times.
I was trying to avoid the very jinx I accused you of earlier, but this was kinda what was in my head when I said "It can ALWAYS get worse."
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I sort of asked for someone to come up with a NEW way for a Tulane season to go wrong. That things CAN go wrong isn’t news.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

long green wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:19 pm I challenged you and anyone else to come up with a NEW way for a Tulane season to go wrong. That things CAN go wrong isn’t news.
I'm not going to post things that awful, but I'm sure you can imagine something.