SMU anniunces stadium expansion and new football facility

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

SMU anniunces stadium expansion and new football facility

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... ign=buffer

I'm putting this here as a reference to our lack of facilities. What I wouldn't give for a booster who could pony up (pun intended) 50m for football. Sometimes it feels like the school barely cares at all.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Re: SMU anniunces stadium expansion and new football facility

Post by austxwave »

Only reason to do this is to hopefully be at the table when the next round of expansion comes. They can't fill their existing seating capacity.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

austxwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am Only reason to do this is to hopefully be at the table when the next round of expansion comes. They can't fill their existing seating capacity.
That's a pretty good reason.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:10 am https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/smu-m ... ign=buffer

I'm putting this here as a reference to our lack of facilities. What I wouldn't give for a booster who could pony up (pun intended) 50m for football. Sometimes it feels like the school barely cares at all.
Unfortunately not just sometimes. It's been this way for over 70 years now and with all the changes just thrust upon college athletics it is clear based on Tulane's past treatment of athletics that they won't rise to the occasion this time either. Tulane hasn't produced a lot of true big money people and the few that they have were indoctrinated with the Tulane mantra of "academics good, athletics bad" and thus aren't interested in writing a big check to push us forward.
We deserve so much better
charlamange8
Navigator Level

Post by charlamange8 »

I brought a lottery ticket...if I win we will have the best team and facilities money can buy.

Lance & Shenika Charles Indoor Practice Facility
Clarence Hall Football Operations Bldg
Almeta Charles Locker Room, etc.

Duffle bags full of cash...wait...no I will just start a company and give out NIL deals!
Charles
"Wisdom and the Sword"
1998 C-USA Champions
"Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay it's price." - Sun Tzu
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

I guess they're expanding to show something to the Big XII, but there is absolutely no reason for them to do so. Their stadium seats 32,000

2021 attendance (8-4 team)

2019 (10-3)
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

FW wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 am I guess they're expanding to show something to the Big XII, but there is absolutely no reason for them to do so. Their stadium seats 32,000

2019 (10-3)
If you wait until your stadium is full before you expand, you're too late.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

austxwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:20 am Only reason to do this is to hopefully be at the table when the next round of expansion comes. They can't fill their existing seating capacity.
SMU: [builds expensive new stadium hoping to get invitation to BCS Conference] "Look at our shiny new stadium and our commitment! June Jones, anyone?"
BCS Conferences: "No thanks, we're already good in Texas, none of our Texas schools want you, and you're really not consistently good anyway."
SMU fans: [do not attend, stadium looks empty]
SMU in 2021: "Hey, formerly-BCS-now-P5 Conferences, look at our still-reasonably-nice stadium and our 'every year we look great early' football program!"
Formerly-BCS-now-P5 Conferences: "yeah, nothing has changed from the 00s, plus you still manage to fall apart at the end of every season... still not interested."
SMU booster: "How do I fix this? Hmmm... instead of buying better coaches and players, I'm gonna pour more money into the stadium!"
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Meanwhile we are going to dismantle the left field bleachers to build a baseball ops center. The focus on facilities should be football first. Build a successful football program and money will be there for the other sports.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The money is also going into an expanded football facility. It's not just adding seats.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am
SMU: [builds expensive new stadium hoping to get invitation to BCS Conference] "Look at our shiny new stadium and our commitment! June Jones, anyone?"
BCS Conferences: "No thanks, we're already good in Texas, none of our Texas schools want you, and you're really not consistently good anyway."
SMU fans: [do not attend, stadium looks empty]
SMU in 2021: "Hey, formerly-BCS-now-P5 Conferences, look at our still-reasonably-nice stadium and our 'every year we look great early' football program!"
Formerly-BCS-now-P5 Conferences: "yeah, nothing has changed from the 00s, plus you still manage to fall apart at the end of every season... still not interested."
SMU booster: "How do I fix this? Hmmm... instead of buying better coaches and players, I'm gonna pour more money into the stadium!"
I wonder if a donor spent an equivalent amount of money to provide all students or alumni or something with an ESPN+ subscription to boost the viewer numbers how that might affect conference expansion prospects. As Dannen recently said, it's all about the viewers.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am
FW wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:47 am I guess they're expanding to show something to the Big XII, but there is absolutely no reason for them to do so. Their stadium seats 32,000

2019 (10-3)
You also look even more ridiculous if you have 20,000 fans in a 45,000 seat stadium
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:29 pmI wonder if a donor spent an equivalent amount of money to provide all students or alumni or something with an ESPN+ subscription to boost the viewer numbers how that might affect conference expansion prospects. As Dannen recently said, it's all about the viewers.
I know Dannen said that and I'm sure it's true to some extent, but I don't actually believe that UC, UCF, UH, and BYU won the Big 12 lottery simply because they have the most ESPN+subscribers. Or like some TV exec said "you want to add those teams? Hang on, lemme check how many of their fans pay us $5 per month.... yeah, okay, we make more from their fanbases than from most of the remaining Big 12 members, they can be added."
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am The money is also going into an expanded football facility. It's not just adding seats.
That's the crux of it. They are adding facilities that help attract higher level recruits and helps to develop them once they get them. But hey let's just keep attacking others to bring them down to our level.
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

Dannen should call the Glazers. That’s probably our best bet. An AAC team from one of the wealthiest private schools in the country not having an indoor facility or football ops building is embarrassing. We will fall behind into irrelevancy if things don’t change. Hiring a 62 year old DII coach as a coordinator is also embarrassing. I can’t imagine anyone calling a top 10 tuition school cheap but we sure as hell are when it comes to athletics. Except for Fritz getting his $2 million + per year.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

charlamange8 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 am I brought a lottery ticket...if I win we will have the best team and facilities money can buy.

Duffle bags full of cash...wait...no I will just start a company and give out NIL deals!
duffle bags? that's a waste of duffle bags... the current generation just wants McDonald's bags full of cash
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:44 pm
charlamange8 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:24 am I brought a lottery ticket...if I win we will have the best team and facilities money can buy.

duffle bags? that's a waste of duffle bags... the current generation just wants McDonald's bags full of cash
I think you are both wrong. The current generation doesn't know what cash is.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

NJwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:44 pm

I think you are both wrong. The current generation doesn't know what cash is.
Ha, exactly. Transfer me some bitcoin, baby.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

purplehaz3 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:42 pm Dannen should call the Glazers. That’s probably our best bet. An AAC team from one of the wealthiest private schools in the country not having an indoor facility or football ops building is embarrassing. We will fall behind into irrelevancy if things don’t change. Hiring a 62 year old DII coach as a coordinator is also embarrassing. I can’t imagine anyone calling a top 10 tuition school cheap but we sure as hell are when it comes to athletics. Except for Fritz getting his $2 million + per year.
His call would go unanswered in all likelihood. The Glazers were upset that someone who took care of them in the Glazer club was fired by Tulane. They complained to Dannen and he blew them off . Only at Tulane.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

FW wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:41 pm
ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:49 am

2019 (10-3)
You also look even more ridiculous if you have 20,000 fans in a 45,000 seat stadium
Or you look like you're committed to the success of your football program.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
Luvs da Wave
Navigator Level

Post by Luvs da Wave »

Any college team in an NFL city doesn’t draw. We can’t compete with the Saints. SMU can’t compete with the Cowboys. Look up Miami’s attendance when they were winning national championships. Look up USC and UCLA with and without the Rams and Raiders and Chargers.

College teams in college towns do much better.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm Any college team in an NFL city doesn’t draw. We can’t compete with the Saints. SMU can’t compete with the Cowboys. Look up Miami’s attendance when they were winning national championships. Look up USC and UCLA with and without the Rams and Raiders and Chargers.

If Tulane was in the Big 12, SEC or ACC and had a winning program with real chance to compete for a championship in special years, there would be people interested in following them.

The lack of commitment and disconnect to the majority of the local population with the elitist attitude towards athletics has cost us as many fans as having the Saints nearby.
Tulane Greenbackers

BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Luvs da Wave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:42 pm Any college team in an NFL city doesn’t draw. We can’t compete with the Saints. SMU can’t compete with the Cowboys. Look up Miami’s attendance when they were winning national championships. Look up USC and UCLA with and without the Rams and Raiders and Chargers.

Also consider

Buffalo in Buffalo
Temple in Philly
Pitt in Pittsburgh
UC in Cincy
Minnesota in Minneapolis
Vandy in Nashville
UNCC in Charlotte
USF in Tampa
UH in Houston
SMU in Dallas
AZ State in Phoenix
Washington in Seattle

For the most part, these schools have very tough sledding living in these NFL cities.

We shouldn’t be defeated by it but it should factor in to how to coexist / survive in their world.

I think Tulane has a decent relationship with the Saints.

I would love for Tulane to have access to the Saints season tickets wait list.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

BC Wave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:01 pm

Also consider

Buffalo in Buffalo
Temple in Philly
Pitt in Pittsburgh
UC in Cincy
Minnesota in Minneapolis
Vandy in Nashville
UNCC in Charlotte
USF in Tampa
UH in Houston
SMU in Dallas
AZ State in Phoenix
Washington in Seattle

For the most part, these schools have very tough sledding living in these NFL cities.

We shouldn’t be defeated by it but it should factor in to how to coexist / survive in their world.

I think Tulane has a decent relationship with the Saints.

I would love for Tulane to have access to the Saints season tickets wait list.
Good example to my point. Of that list, Cincinnati is competing with two in-state NFL teams and still filled their stadium by playing meaningful football. Houston is the only other team with any recent success and they draw decent crowds despite having an NFL team in the City.
Tulane Greenbackers