Thamel reports our new OC will be Jim Svoboda

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: Thamel reports our new OC will be Jim Svoboda

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:21 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 pm
ml wave wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm
wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:27 pm Fact is no one at the D-1 level saw him as worthy of a D-1 job.
Not a fact.
Fact- no FBS D-1 job .
A fact!
It was a fact all along but you and the others knew that.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

wavedom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:58 am
waverider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:33 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 pm Then there were the guys from Alabama and Georgia we were waiting on till after the playoffs.
Do we know that for sure? There was heavy speculation that it was someone from one of those teams because of the wait but I never heard any actual names surface other than those that fans pieced together based on those two schools staffs’ availability.
Right. Just as Atkins was speculation. But yeah all that time passed because he was the first and only choice. :roll:
I was legitimately curious. Credible people eventually mentioned Atkins as a serious target whereas with these two it was a lot of “could be” this or that guy. You are the first person I have seen to say there were definite candidates we were offering on those staffs.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

waverider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:27 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:29 pm Then there were the guys from Alabama and Georgia we were waiting on till after the playoffs.
Do we know that for sure? There was heavy speculation that it was someone from one of those teams because of the wait but I never heard any actual names surface other than those that fans pieced together based on those two schools staffs’ availability.
Right. Just as Atkins was speculation. But yeah all that time passed because he was the first and only choice. :roll:
I was legitimately curious. Credible people eventually mentioned Atkins as a serious target whereas with these two it was a lot of “could be” this or that guy. You are the first person I have seen to say there were definite candidates we were offering on those staffs.
And he's not basing it on anything other then what you already saw! This is how rumors get started.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

I'm guessing Svoboda was offered and accepted his new position by the time Alabama and Georgia kicked off.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

There was a guy from UGA. Atkins wasn't just speculation.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Who was the guy from Georgia? Dell McGee?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

long green wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:51 pm Who was the guy from Georgia? Dell McGee?
That's who I assumed
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Atkins was a rumor just as the others were. Fritz keeps things very tight. Yet again the timing tells anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together that this guy was not a first choice candidate. Well that and his resume or lack thereof.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

long green wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:51 pm Who was the guy from Georgia? Dell McGee?
No
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

wavedom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:20 pm
Atkins was a rumor just as the others were. Fritz keeps things very tight. Yet again the timing tells anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together that this guy was not a first choice candidate. Well that and his resume or lack thereof.
Ok, whatever you say
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I don’t think anyone thinks this was our first choice.
Tulane Greenbackers

purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

waverider wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:53 pm
This might have been the 5th or 6th choice. We’re basically getting another Fritz. I hope I eat my words but what we needed was someone like Will Hall. Man Hall Ball was fun and the players loved him. We have 3 very capable QB’s in the room. I hope he can relate to them
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

purplehaz3 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:45 pm
This might have been the 5th or 6th choice. We’re basically getting another Fritz. I hope I eat my words but what we needed was someone like Will Hall. Man Hall Ball was fun and the players loved him. We have 3 very capable QB’s in the room. I hope he can relate to them
I don’t care if he relates to them, I want him to develop them. They all have potential, just need a coach that can sharpen their tools.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Oh unfortunately we clearly do. Just go back and read the thread.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:16 pm
I don't think it matters if he was the first choice or not. Long was the first choice last year and that didn't work out. You're talking about a job where there's probably 1000+ people qualified to do the work, there's no shame in going through a few candidates.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

We aren’t exactly coming off a stellar season where the top offensive minds in the country were knocking down our door. Our likely choices were coaches from lesser levels or lesser conferences who would be getting a pay increase at Tulane, somebody let go elsewhere or maybe a position coach getting his first OC job. I’m not sure who those that are upset thought we would get to take the job. Give the guy a chance before we write him off.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm
I don't think it matters if he was the first choice or not. Long was the first choice last year and that didn't work out. You're talking about a job where there's probably 1000+ people qualified to do the work, there's no shame in going through a few candidates.
First off I know the group think here is Long failed. He didn't He called plays where guys were wide open and they dropped passes. He called plays where guys were wide open but the OL didn't allow the QB to get the pass off or had to throw a hurried pass. He's done fine everywhere he's been and he'll likely do the same at GT. Then people knocked him for not running Spears more early. Fact is those people claim to follow the program closely but didn't know that Spears mindset in June was to give up football due to his difficult recovery. Spears gained confidence as the season went on and his usage increased. There's no where close to a thousand people qualified to do this job. There are 130 FBS football schools and a good number don't have good offenses. So there's less than a 100 who can do it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

NJwave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:12 pm We aren’t exactly coming off a stellar season where the top offensive minds in the country were knocking down our door. Our likely choices were coaches from lesser levels or lesser conferences who would be getting a pay increase at Tulane, somebody let go elsewhere or maybe a position coach getting his first OC job. I’m not sure who those that are upset thought we would get to take the job. Give the guy a chance before we write him off.
No one is writing him off. It's ok to discuss all aspects of a hire. The need to just have to hear all is well all the time with Tulane athletics is what has contributed to the pathetic on field performances for most of the last 70 years. People need to have thicker skin to handle candid conversations with regards to Tulane athletics.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

This thread has devolved
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

'I don’t care if he relates to them, I want him to develop them. They all have potential, just need a coach that can sharpen their tools.'

If he doesn't relate to them they aren't going to develop under him.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

wavedom wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:33 pm
ml wave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:53 pm
First off I know the group think here is Long failed. He didn't He called plays where guys were wide open and they dropped passes. He called plays where guys were wide open but the OL didn't allow the QB to get the pass off or had to throw a hurried pass. He's done fine everywhere he's been and he'll likely do the same at GT. Then people knocked him for not running Spears more early. Fact is those people claim to follow the program closely but didn't know that Spears mindset in June was to give up football due to his difficult recovery. Spears gained confidence as the season went on and his usage increased. There's no where close to a thousand people qualified to do this job. There are 130 FBS football schools and a good number don't have good offenses. So there's less than a 100 who can do it.
I don't disagree about Long, and think we'd have been better next year had he stayed. That said, the offense was disappointing, and it's not like the WRs were catching everything under Hall previously. I think the biggest problem we had was the decline in OL play...idk how much blame Long gets for that.

I'm not saying 1000+ people would be good at the job, or would take the job, just that they'd be qualified. There are a lot of football coaches out there.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

There are a lot of football coaches out there. Not many that can do that particular job successfully at this level. Certainly nowhere near 1,000.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Did people here really believe someone from AL/GA would come here? Who? Not a current OC. A top asset? Doubt we'd be able to pay him more. Perhaps a consultant or grad assistant - then we're getting into lack of (OC) experience. Rich Rod came from 7 yrs at a D II school before joining Bowden. One never knows where you'll find a star.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm Did people here really believe someone from AL/GA would come here? Who? Not a current OC. A top asset? Doubt we'd be able to pay him more. Perhaps a consultant or grad assistant - then we're getting into lack of (OC) experience. Rich Rod came from 7 yrs at a D II school before joining Bowden. One never knows where you'll find a star.
Our new ST coordinator is from UGA I believe
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:40 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:32 pm Did people here really believe someone from AL/GA would come here? Who? Not a current OC. A top asset? Doubt we'd be able to pay him more. Perhaps a consultant or grad assistant - then we're getting into lack of (OC) experience. Rich Rod came from 7 yrs at a D II school before joining Bowden. One never knows where you'll find a star.
Our new ST coordinator is from UGA I believe
ST Coordinator is not same type hire as OC.
Would you hire a "consultant" with no prior OC experience for your OC.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.