Big 12 Expansion

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Big 12 Expansion

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

purplehaz3 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:44 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:53 am Long article in the athletic about G5 realignment. Some good and some bad as far as AACs current position. Surprised no mention of Coastal. Surprised at the seriousness of James Madison. Hard, hard pass on ULL. Every G5 conference covered.

https://theathletic.com/2826426/2021/09 ... group-of-5
Coastal is fun but it’s had one good year. We should focus on Boise State, San Diego State, ULL, and James Madison. JMU’s athletic budget is probably larger than ours….we get a rivalry game with ULL and bring in a west coast audience. James Madison brings a lot of hype and national recognition. Also, we should be close to favorites to win every year. There’s no reason why we can’t be the next UCF of the G5. Basketball needs to get better but I think that will happen with Ron Hunter.
Oh I don't want coastal. I was just surprised they weren't mentioned at all as the list was pretty exhaustive. It's a big plus for JMU that their budget is substantial, but I'm not sure they bring national recognition. Not a fan of ULL for a number of reasons, the biggest being as soon as Napier leaves, and leave he will, I think they could fall back to being pretty meh. We want sustained success. App St. is the only Belt school that can really claim that.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:27 am
purplehaz3 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:11 am
PJR wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:59 am If we are looking for media markets and fan base. Buffalo (media) and Liberty (large student body from around the country) should seriously be considered. We need four schools and six would be better so that we can have 7 schools in each division. Boise State, Army, Air Force, Utah State, large west coast MW schools (if the travel expenses are not outrageous). You can have a west and east division with 7 or eight teams in each. Tulsa and SMU in the west and the rest in the east along with some new teams.
Liberty should be a hard no. We have nothing in common with them and they bring a ton of drama and extremist-religious views which don’t add value. Utah State sucks but the others are interesting.
Agree, no Liberty. I'd probably try Colorado State over Utah State. A Buffalo/Army and CSU/Air Force combination for travel could be something. Or just a whole merger with the Mountain West. I'm also not interested in ULL.
Colorado St. just lost to Vandy.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:45 pm
PJR wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:59 am If we are looking for media markets and fan base. Buffalo (media) and Liberty (large student body from around the country) should seriously be considered. We need four schools and six would be better so that we can have 7 schools in each division. Boise State, Army, Air Force, Utah State, large west coast MW schools (if the travel expenses are not outrageous). You can have a west and east division with 7 or eight teams in each. Tulsa and SMU in the west and the rest in the east along with some new teams.
Liberty should be a hard no. We have nothing in common with them and they bring a ton of drama and extremist-religious views which don’t add value. Utah State sucks but the others are interesting.
Agree, no Liberty. I'd probably try Colorado State over Utah State. A Buffalo/Army and CSU/Air Force combination for travel could be something. Or just a whole merger with the Mountain West. I'm also not interested in ULL.
Irregardless :twisted:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Charlie Dunn
Navigator Level

Unread post by Charlie Dunn »

Surprising we are ranked 42 when our acceptance rate is now 11%. I do not get these us world new rankings honestly. Seems too subjective.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Charlie Dunn wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm Surprising we are ranked 42 when our acceptance rate is now 11%. I do not get these us world new rankings honestly. Seems too subjective.
They are extremely subjective. Mostly based on peer ranking from other Presidents and Provosts. Almost entirely reputation.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

gerryb323 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:50 pm
wavedom wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:45 pm
Irregardless :twisted:
Regardless the AAC would have to be looking for their own version of Vandy to go there.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

According to a Baylor blogger, Tulane could be in the next round of expansion. Shoutout to FTW for tweeting it.
Could the Big 12 add beyond Memphis and Boise State?

Other than Memphis and Boise State being next in line, look for visits and/or discussions to take place with Tulane, SMU and possibly even Southern Mississippi. Sources say there's a method to this madness and while on the surface many won't see or understand the appeal, ESPN will have its hand in which teams would be added.
https://sicem365.com/s/10554/big-12-exp ... -vs-big-12
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

waverider wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 pm According to a Baylor blogger, Tulane could be in the next round of expansion. Shoutout to FTW for tweeting it.

Other than Memphis and Boise State being next in line, look for visits and/or discussions to take place with Tulane, SMU and possibly even Southern Mississippi. Sources say there's a method to this madness and while on the surface many won't see or understand the appeal, ESPN will have its hand in which teams would be added.
It's not bad to hear our name mentioned, but the fact they also mention USM makes me wonder who their sources are, if any. It's pretty hard to see USM being included in these kind of talks. FtW had the same reaction in a follow up tweet
waverider
Cornerstone

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:17 am
waverider wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:32 pm According to a Baylor blogger, Tulane could be in the next round of expansion. Shoutout to FTW for tweeting it.

It's not bad to hear our name mentioned, but the fact they also mention USM makes me wonder who their sources are, if any. It's pretty hard to see USM being included in these kind of talks. FtW had the same reaction in a follow up tweet
USM fans speculated that it has to do with proximity and the Big12 wanting us and them because we are close to each other. I don’t know what that would have to do with it.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Likely has to do with UCF and giving them some closer members.
SlidellWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SlidellWave »

Instead of USM could it have benn USF?

USM feels like a reach and they should check with UC first ( UC and Louisville tried to get USM and ECU booted from CUSA because of problems getting to those schools).
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

SlidellWave wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:09 am Instead of USM could it have benn USF?

USM feels like a reach and they should check with UC first ( UC and Louisville tried to get USM and ECU booted from CUSA because of problems getting to those schools).
No, the article definitely means Southern Miss. But it's also just a blog post. FTW could write one that says Tulane is applying for SEC membership and it would have as much weight...

It also mentions how ESPN will have a say but ignores the Big 12 has a big contract with Fox
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Charlie Dunn wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 pm Surprising we are ranked 42 when our acceptance rate is now 11%. I do not get these us world new rankings honestly. Seems too subjective.
As I said when we were low and continue to say now that we are high, they are ENTIRELY subjective and not worth the paper they are printed on.

Also, the numbers can easily be "gamed", which is what Tulane hired people to do about 8 years ago, and they did it successfully. The quality of education didn't get radically better in that time, I actually think I could make a case it got worse, but they did things to game retention (and other) numbers and suddenly they are at 42
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Those both could be tips, that it’s a trolling post

Look Tulane has a chance. Yes it does have all facilities either on or off campus as needed including Saints IPF, Dome and Smoothie King.

It’s about the winning and mostly losing that makes it a longshot.

Win and they may come (calling.) Lose and it’s Tulsa, OK here we come.
LawGreenie
Coach Level

Unread post by LawGreenie »

Could be a strategy to establish a foothold in SEC dominated markets. An ascendant Tulane arguably nips at LSU’s heel and perhaps gives Big 12 a recruiting chip in Louisiana. I think Ole Miss and Miss State cancel each other in the SEC — so not sure the same argument applies to USM. I’m guessing UCF is keeping USF out, much like TCU and SMU, UH and Rice.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

LawGreenie wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:38 am Could be a strategy to establish a foothold in SEC dominated markets. An ascendant Tulane arguably nips at LSU’s heel and perhaps gives Big 12 a recruiting chip in Louisiana. I think Ole Miss and Miss State cancel each other in the SEC — so not sure the same argument applies to USM. I’m guessing UCF is keeping USF out, much like TCU and SMU, UH and Rice.
And OSU/Tulsa. We really are a fairly unique opportunity as the "second" school in a state rich in talent. LSU hopefully declining should also help us.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

Lets hope they dont fire Ed
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Tulane and USM are not under consideration. The story has been updated- https://sicem365.com/s/10554/thursday-t ... ees-update
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Oof. It's one thing to simply leave rumors out there in the ether, it's another to come out and issue a correction. That's a pretty clear strike against us being a serious candidate at this time. We need to hope they stand pat for another couple of years AND that we can put together some big wins on the field. That game against Kansas St. next year could be big.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:57 pm Oof. It's one thing to simply leave rumors out there in the ether, it's another to come out and issue a correction. That's a pretty clear strike against us being a serious candidate at this time. We need to hope they stand pat for another couple of years AND that we can put together some big wins on the field. That game against Kansas St. next year could be big.
Agree, worse than not being mentioned in the first place!
waverider
Cornerstone

Two ways to convince them otherwise: Win the conference this year. Fill the stadium for home games starting this weekend.
Tulane Greenbackers

ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

The best/only chance for us to upgrade our conference situation would be an under the radar, out of the blue announcement like when we moved to the Big East. There's way too many obvious warts for our candidacy to stand up to any kind of public scrutiny.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

So a Baylor blogger puts together a nice, formal-looking (and this "it must be right") website and claims to have communication with "sources" or "officials close to the situation". Does anyone have any idea whether this site has ever gotten any information correct before it happened?

I mean, maybe they are legit, I have no idea, but it's certainly worth knowing before getting worked up about it - in either direction.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:18 pm So a Baylor blogger puts together a nice, formal-looking (and this "it must be right") website and claims to have communication with "sources" or "officials close to the situation". Does anyone have any idea whether this site has ever gotten any information correct before it happened?

I mean, maybe they are legit, I have no idea, but it's certainly worth knowing before getting worked up about it - in either direction.
Baylor puffing their chest out, huh? If not for the Art Briles years (and we know what a mess that turned out to be), Baylor would be a "hanger-on" like Vandy. Yeah, Matt Ruhle, but that job would not have been very attractive to a Ruhle without Briles' success. They owe their entire athletic success to Briles, who was their fundamental building block to stay in the B12 and collect the big P5 money. They have made the most out of it, for sure. I guess selling your soul to the devil does work. Now they come out as all high and mighty.

We just need to win football games and build the fan base, pure and simple. We have everything else.

I heard from a TU fan who had gone to FSU that FSU, to build loyalty among students, would offer academic points if they stayed through the 4th quarter. I doubt seriously Tulane would ever agree to that, but we need a creative way to get the d@mn students to stay through the game (not to mention to get the Glazer folks to fill up their seats).
Plan your work, work your plan.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

if we are counting on butts in seats to get us in we are doomed. butts in seats may improve (a lot even!) but not enough to get us in the B12

the answer is win enough to make New Orleans and AAU look appealing, because those things aren't going to be appealing on their own. If winning won't do it, then we ain't getting in.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16