2021 Future Opponents

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: 2021 Future Opponents

Post by Baywave1 »

If willie follows previous form, Pratt plays first half and gets seven or eight possessions Ibieta gets five in second half, Horton gets two and Dartez gets one.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:59 pm If willie follows previous form, Pratt plays first half and gets seven or eight possessions Ibieta gets five in second half, Horton gets two and Dartez gets one.
That'd be nice.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

long green wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:00 pm We can play anyone we want up to four games. I'd absolutely play Iverson Celestine here. If a true freshman played vs OU he's playing the whole year (Canady, Cooper). It would be nice to see Kai Horton but as had been said already this is the game to get Ibieta every possible snap. If we have two minutes to kneel it out at the end we can always put in Cameron Dartez.
Suggest saving Celestine this early in the season. Depending on injuries to our RB's he might be needed later in the season. Of course I hope that doesn't happen, but let's wait to get Celestine his four games.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If that happens again, the injury bug would have to bite very late for Celestine to keep his redshirt.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

long green wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:25 am If that happens again, the injury bug would have to bite very late for Celestine to keep his redshirt.
Probably so, lg. But there could be a four week stretch in the middle of the season where we need one more RB. Then use Celestine and preserve his RS. This is all just internet BS anyway!
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

With the "four free games", I would think he'd get on the field at some time during the season - hopefully not due to injuries to starters. It's great to give the freshman actual playing time that doesn't cost an entire year of elig. Seems best times to do this are when we are blowing out someone. How many teams on our schedule do we forecast blowouts?
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I think getting Ibieta in would be huge. Not only does it keep Pratt rested, but it gives Ibieta much needed live reps. His one pass last week was a wounded duck aimed at what looked like the wrong receiver.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Not a future opponent observation but a past one: OU left Rattler in the entire first half in a blowout over Western Carolina today. They were up 45-0 at half before Williams came in for the second half. Padding those "let me back in the Heisman race please" stats?
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

How about Memphis barely beating Arky St 55-50?

I really hope this is the season where we exorcise all our demons against the likes of Cincy, memphis, UCF, Tulsa, SMU, Cougar High and finally win a game against a P5. I just wish Navy was on the schedule. Frankly, the only game of those that "scare" me is UCF away (forgetting injuries, of course).

At some point, you would think that our year would be coming up just on odds alone.
Plan your work, work your plan.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Rotorooter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am At some point, you would think that our year would be coming up just on odds alone.
Well, those years are pretty dependent on plus-QB play, and this is the first year that we've had a really good QB in a decade; and it was almost another decade for the one before him.
So they should start happening.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

GSx wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:14 am
Rotorooter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:53 am At some point, you would think that our year would be coming up just on odds alone.
Well, those years are pretty dependent on plus-QB play, and this is the first year that we've had a really good QB in a decade; and it was almost another decade for the one before him.
So they should start happening.
It's more than that. But focusing on your point for a moment, JMac was a good QB. Not great, but good. Our offensive scheme was not great, but good (Hall's, not Ruse's). We didn't have all of the pieces around him to work. OL has always been a struggle for us. Depth. Competent defense. Special Teams.

What we have this season is competence at those dimensions. But to your point, we have a tremendous mesh between our OC, our QB and a system that really fits the talent that we have at the position. For the first time in a long time. We didn't have "it" with Griffin or Losman or Ramsey or Scelfo or Montana, etc., etc. Yes, OU scored 40 on us and "may have let up in the 2nd half." But I feel pretty good about our defense (even though Ole Miss might score 40+, they have a really good scheme and triggerman). Our defense will win us some games in the AAC. Our WRs need to step up, as does our OL. But our offensive scheme will win us some ballgames, too.

Next week is the bellwether for where we are going. Not UAB, not OU, maybe not even the UHs and SMUs of the world, but Ole effing Miss. We're due, baby.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

Rotorooter wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:28 am Next week is the bellwether for where we are going. Not UAB, not OU, maybe not even the UHs and SMUs of the world, but Ole effing Miss. We're due, baby.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I’m more concerned with our offense against Ole Miss than I am our defense. Our OL got little push against Morgan St, but a lot of that was the “we just have to show up” effort early on.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

waverider wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:43 pm I’m more concerned with our offense against Ole Miss than I am our defense. Our OL got little push against Morgan St, but a lot of that was the “we just have to show up” effort early on.
Totally agree, waverider. If one can have a concern after yesterday's rout, mine is the OL push in the running game. While the DL was terrific, my view is the OL was not. This is just going from watching the game, not any statistics.
Bob Knight
purplehaz3
Navigator Level

Post by purplehaz3 »

CT Wave wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:36 pm
waverider wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:43 pm I’m more concerned with our offense against Ole Miss than I am our defense. Our OL got little push against Morgan St, but a lot of that was the “we just have to show up” effort early on.
Totally agree, waverider. If one can have a concern after yesterday's rout, mine is the OL push in the running game. While the DL was terrific, my view is the OL was not. This is just going from watching the game, not any statistics.
Lane Kiffin was quoted as saying “Tulane is an SEC team” this morning. Interesting stuff
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

purplehaz3 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:27 pm
Lane Kiffin was quoted as saying “Tulane is an SEC team” this morning. Interesting stuff
Well it would certainly hurt them less to lose to a SEC team
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm
Vince Dooley lite.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:28 pm
gerryb323 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm
Vince Dooley lite.
He also said it wasn'tr just coach speak.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Lane was raised in a football household by his daddy who was so old that he still thought we were in the SEC... :lol:

(I joke, but Monty's defense got Shaun King a ring so... respect...)
CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:57 pm Well it would certainly hurt them less to lose to a SEC team
Not in the conference standings, gerry.
Bob Knight
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

our future game against UCF just became even more interesting with Dillon Gabriel most likely done for the year
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:48 am our future game against UCF just became even more interesting with Dillon Gabriel most likely done for the year
UCF's defense is not good. Now if we can avoid the same thing...our guy likes to tempt fate.