What was most flukey yesterday in CFB?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

What was most flukey yesterday in CFB?

Post by Baywave1 »

1. Tulane’s Lett it Be TD?

2. JSU’s FCS win over FSU on last play of game?

3. USC place kicker being ejected for targeting on opening kickoff?

4. Tulane using five place kickers yesterday and number 5 actually putting points on the board?

I vote number 3 although my heart is with number 4.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Re: What was most flukey yesterday in CFB?

Post by windywave »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:30 pm 1. Tulane’s Lett it Be TD?

2. JSU’s FCS win over FSU on last play of game?

3. USC place kicker being ejected for targeting on opening kickoff?

4. Tulane using five place kickers yesterday and number 5 actually putting points on the board?

I vote number 3 although my heart is with number 4.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Tulane tip drill TD.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Here is the last play of the FSU game. JSU was at their own 40 with 6 seconds left

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/14 ... 55874?s=21
Tulane Greenbackers

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

#1 gets my vote.
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

#2. Last play of game. FCS team against FSU.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

5. a zero yard punt by Morgan state

when the Steelers punter shanked one today, it reminded me of the 0 yard punt yesterday... never saw that happen before
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:43 pm 5. a zero yard punt by Morgan state

when the Steelers punter shanked one today, it reminded me of the 0 yard punt yesterday... never saw that happen before
I saw it happen before. It was in the Superdome and Tulane was the punting team. :?
Tulane Greenbackers

Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Same thing happened to Syracuse vs. Rutgers yesterday. If it wasn't 0, it was no more than 5 yds. Maybe even behind the line.

BTW, SU looks terrible. I guess I'm glad we didn't hire Dino Babers?! What's going on there?
Plan your work, work your plan.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Since this is a flukey thing, thread jacks by definition are ok.

Unless lightning strikes, Babers is toast at Syracuse. Because he is 60, he won’t get another FBS HC job after being unsuccessful.

Great guy. I’d have been pleased if Tulane had hired him at the time. His future is almost certainly as an “expert” talking head.

Neuheisel with a much stronger resume seems very happy to ride his ESPN gig into the sunset.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am Since this is a flukey thing, thread jacks by definition are ok.

Unless lightning strikes, Babers is toast at Syracuse. Because he is 60, he won’t get another FBS HC job after being unsuccessful.

Great guy. I’d have been pleased if Tulane had hired him at the time. His future is almost certainly as an “expert” talking head.

Neuheisel with a much stronger resume seems very happy to ride his ESPN gig into the sunset.
you mean CBS? just looked at his career coaching record... he was never a good coach. He's pretty good in the studio though
MattK
President's Circle

Post by MattK »

waverider wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:59 pm

I saw it happen before. It was in the Superdome and Tulane was the punting team. :?
yeah, but for a couple years that was a success because it meant we caught the snap and got the punt off without it being blocked.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:00 am
Baywave1 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:58 am Since this is a flukey thing, thread jacks by definition are ok.

you mean CBS? just looked at his career coaching record... he was never a good coach. He's pretty good in the studio though
He also has a daily morning radio show on ESPNU. We are both right! As concerns a “good coach”. He has had three P5 jobs. Maybe he interviews well??😉
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Syracuse is a tough place to recruit. He did put together a 10 win season a few years ago, which is the best season Syracuse has had in a long time. He just couldn't get a QB lined up to replace Eric Dungey and the defense fell apart at the same time. Babers did well at Bowling Green before that and look where they are now. Had we hired him instead of Fritz last go around, there's no telling how he would've fared, but I think he could've done well. I don't feel too badly for for him. He's earning 3.5 million a year and he should get a solid buyout if they do fire him.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:20 am

He also has a daily morning radio show on ESPNU. We are both right! As concerns a “good coach”. He has had three P5 jobs. Maybe he interviews well??😉
He took NW to the Rose Bowl, right? After years in the wilderness? Gotta give him credit for that.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:39 am

He took NW to the Rose Bowl, right? After years in the wilderness? Gotta give him credit for that.
Gary Barnett took NW to the Rose Bowl. Neuheisel's three jobs were Colorado, Washington and UCLA and was 87-59 as a HC, which isn't all that bad really. Won some, but not tremendously. Hasn't been hired since, which should tell you all you want to know.
Plan your work, work your plan.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

MattK wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:07 am

yeah, but for a couple years that was a success because it meant we caught the snap and got the punt off without it being blocked.
Good point
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

MattK wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:07 am

and since that time, we use the term "Picarelli" for any shiatty punt
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

The snapping by the 3rd string (?) center was horrible to ibieta. 1/4 second does matter to an offense’s timing.

Regardless the reminder about Tulane’s special teams under coaches of yore is painful. I think still that ST under CJ in his last season were worst I’ve ever seen
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Rotorooter wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:39 am

Gary Barnett took NW to the Rose Bowl. Neuheisel's three jobs were Colorado, Washington and UCLA and was 87-59 as a HC, which isn't all that bad really. Won some, but not tremendously. Hasn't been hired since, which should tell you all you want to know.
Lol, whoops!