Hurricane Ida watch

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: Hurricane Ida watch

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

If power and other utilities do come back this quickly, kudos to whoever is managing the messaging from Entergy or the local government or whoever. They set the bar really low, "no power for weeks", and gave their guys a chance to overachieve and give everyone a pleasant surprise.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I lost power for two weeks in Betsy so this beats that. Obviously I prefer games played in Yulman sooner rather than later but all alternatives are doable and drivable (assuming gas distribution issues improve to tolerable levels.)

Roll Wave.

I’m feeling a little better tomorrow especially about covering a 31 point spread. Maybe we see ibieta some tomorrow?
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:28 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:05 pm Interesting read. Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/09 ... a-oklahoma
Great story.
Amazing that we hold a running contract with the Birmingham Sheraton to take over the whole hotel when New Orleans is not habitable. Loved the line about pets. 8)

I have a special love/hate feeling for that hotel as it's where I took my Professional Engineering exam about 19 years ago! ("hate" because the test is miserable, "love" because I passed)
Wonder if that hotel is owned by Jim Wilson's heirs?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

ml wave wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:33 am
PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:28 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:05 pm Interesting read. Apologies if this is posted elsewhere.

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/09 ... a-oklahoma
Great story.
Amazing that we hold a running contract with the Birmingham Sheraton to take over the whole hotel when New Orleans is not habitable. Loved the line about pets. 8)

I have a special love/hate feeling for that hotel as it's where I took my Professional Engineering exam about 19 years ago! ("hate" because the test is miserable, "love" because I passed)
Wonder if that hotel is owned by Jim Wilson's heirs?
Without researching I'd doubt it... Wilson's company owned the Galleria mall and attached Wynfrey hotel, south of Birmingham in the suburb of Hoover. The Sheraton is at the Civic Center (basically the city's convention center) downtown. It's the one you literally drive right past on I-59/20 if you ever go through Birmingham.
austxwave
Navigator Level

Post by austxwave »

Great article! Who has rats as pets?
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

austxwave wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:50 am Great article! Who has rats as pets?
:-) :-) :-) even rats need love
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:39 am
austxwave wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:50 am Great article! Who has rats as pets?
:-) :-) :-) even rats need love
More likely, the pet snakes need something to eat.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Last night there were a bunch of tweets with video clips of various players - Fritz and several football players, the women's basketball team, etc. - thanking "Mr. Wilson" for a great dinner, which was at the Hyatt. From a little Googling, apparently the Wynfrey at the Galleria is also a Hyatt (I admittedly don't keep track of what hotel conglomerates own what brands)... anyway, it sounds like all the Tulane folks bused from the downtown Sheraton down to the Riverchase Galleria Hyatt last night and had a big shindig thrown by the Wilsons. I'm assuming Jim Wilson's son (Jim Wilson III, apparently) must be supporting Tulane. If so and he was willing to do that, I am surprised we haven't heard more about him as a big booster - could be because he went to Alabama and maybe is channeling his focus there?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:28 am Last night there were a bunch of tweets with video clips of various players - Fritz and several football players, the women's basketball team, etc. - thanking "Mr. Wilson" for a great dinner, which was at the Hyatt. From a little Googling, apparently the Wynfrey at the Galleria is also a Hyatt (I admittedly don't keep track of what hotel conglomerates own what brands)... anyway, it sounds like all the Tulane folks bused from the downtown Sheraton down to the Riverchase Galleria Hyatt last night and had a big shindig thrown by the Wilsons. I'm assuming Jim Wilson's son (Jim Wilson III, apparently) must be supporting Tulane. If so and he was willing to do that, I am surprised we haven't heard more about him as a big booster - could be because he went to Alabama and maybe is channeling his focus there?
Yes, Fritz actually talked about this on today's.....The Current :angel:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Post by CletusRelm »

Does anyone on this board think that due to Hurricane Ida's temporary displacement of TU students and athletes, that it will have a devastating effect on TU sports like Hurricane Katrina did?

I should hope not!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

CletusRelm wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:48 am Does anyone on this board think that due to Hurricane Ida's temporary displacement of TU students and athletes, that it will have a devastating effect on TU sports like Hurricane Katrina did?

I should hope not!
No.

The biggest thing that is starting to come to light is that Tulane created a detailed plan after Katrina, which they apparently practice (to some extent) every single year, on how to handle this situation. Listen to the latest "The Current" podcast interview with Fritz, or look up the 10 minute interview Fritz did on the Paul Finebaum Show (was on various social media platforms yesterday), where it's discussed. Tulane athletes have a nice place to stay, a place to practice, a place to work out, and plenty of food and other things. Everything in 2005 was being done on-the-fly and in desperation, but now the entire department knows exactly what to do just by reading the handbook. I also think, with social media being much more ubiquitous than it was in 2005, the whole nation is more aware of the situation and Tulane is getting more charitable help than it did then. NCAA rule changes are also probably more conducive to us receiving help; I seem to remember cases in 2005 where people wanted to donate to our team but were not allowed to do so by NCAA rules.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

No comparison. The team will be back home soon as Entergy has gotten things back up and running quicker than expected.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:22 am
CletusRelm wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:48 am Does anyone on this board think that due to Hurricane Ida's temporary displacement of TU students and athletes, that it will have a devastating effect on TU sports like Hurricane Katrina did?

I should hope not!
No.

The biggest thing that is starting to come to light is that Tulane created a detailed plan after Katrina, which they apparently practice (to some extent) every single year, on how to handle this situation. Listen to the latest "The Current" podcast interview with Fritz, or look up the 10 minute interview Fritz did on the Paul Finebaum Show (was on various social media platforms yesterday), where it's discussed. Tulane athletes have a nice place to stay, a place to practice, a place to work out, and plenty of food and other things. Everything in 2005 was being done on-the-fly and in desperation, but now the entire department knows exactly what to do just by reading the handbook. I also think, with social media being much more ubiquitous than it was in 2005, the whole nation is more aware of the situation and Tulane is getting more charitable help than it did then. NCAA rule changes are also probably more conducive to us receiving help; I seem to remember cases in 2005 where people wanted to donate to our team but were not allowed to do so by NCAA rules.
It could almost serve as a catalyst or "coming together" for the various teams. Impossible to say how we would have played Saturday in the absence of all that's happened in the last couple weeks, but there's at least a chance that it actually helped! Reminds me of the Saints going to West Virginia or wherever for camp.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

I should hope not!
No. As Pete said, there's a plan. They know exactly where they're going before the storm hits.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm It could almost serve as a catalyst or "coming together" for the various teams. Impossible to say how we would have played Saturday in the absence of all that's happened in the last couple weeks, but there's at least a chance that it actually helped!
Man, it's almost like you listened to The Current! 8)
gerryb323 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 pm Reminds me of the Saints going to West Virginia or wherever for camp.
If we were staying somewhere as nice as The Greenbrier, no one would want to come back to New Orleans!
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Those years at Greenbrier led to losing seasons.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

wavedom wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:15 pm Those years at Greenbrier led to losing seasons.
Again, correlation vs causation
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

They got soft. When they stopped going there they started winning again.
Last edited by wavedom on Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Students living on campus can return Sept 24, so I assume that UAB will be at Yulman. Campus will be fully staffed on the 20th.