Hurricane Ida watch

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Hurricane Ida watch

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:56 am
Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:44 am reading WWL online this morning... one of the towers bringing in the transmission lines is in the river... that doesn't sound like any kind of quick fix, to me... I would bet today, we are playing in Norman on Saturday. I honestly think the home game against Morgan State is listed as "questionable" right now for being played in Yulman. But there is a lot of time between now and then and getting the entire city back online will of course be a massive priority.
WWL also has the headline "LSU football evacuates to Houston, Tulane to Florida ahead of Hurricane Ida". Tulane volleyball went to Florida, football went to Birmingham. But hey, those reporters probably had a little on their minds so I will cut them some slack. Though I was actually thinking yesterday "I can't wait to see the 10-minute-long 'human interest story' about the hardships LSU football is facing this Fall after the hurricane" :roll: Aw, who are we kidding, I'm not going to watch GameDay anyway...

Earlier this morning I saw photos of the tower that went down. I can't find where I saw it to repost here, but it was one of those huge steel frame high-voltage transmission towers... just gone. The amount of power wiring that would come down with one of those is... well, the Electrical Engineers at my office who specialize in high-power systems are wide-eyed and "OMG." at the implications of one of those coming down.
my buddy texted "hey Entergy, you think having all of New Orleans' power coming in through one set of towers on the banks of the Mississippi was smart?"

but yeah, in re WWL, they said the tower was in the river.. photos show it was just a crumpled mess on the banks... they probably meant the cables are in the river
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TXSooner518
Junior

Unread post by TXSooner518 »

Tons of OU sources reporting announcement at noon moving game to Norman. So saddened to have planned for this game for literally years, bought Tulane season tickets, and now to have this happen.

That said, obviously the more important thing is the health, safety, and welfare of a city I love. Y'all all be safe and well, and we will come spend some tourist bucks as soon as things are back up and running.
SoFlaWave
Coach Level

Unread post by SoFlaWave »

Just got a text alert from CBS sports that the game is moving to Norman.

I hope all in New Orleans and the affected region are safe and sound.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

TXSooner518 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:36 am Tons of OU sources reporting announcement at noon moving game to Norman. So saddened to have planned for this game for literally years, bought Tulane season tickets, and now to have this happen.

That said, obviously the more important thing is the health, safety, and welfare of a city I love. Y'all all be safe and well, and we will come spend some tourist bucks as soon as things are back up and running.

Thanks for all of your posts here. It’s nice to have somebody come on here and be so kind rather than talking smack.

Should the game be moved to Norman, perhaps the Oklahoma fans might be persuaded to call Tulane and return the season tickets but agree to donate the refund right back to the Tulane athletic department.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TXSooner518 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:36 am Tons of OU sources reporting announcement at noon moving game to Norman. So saddened to have planned for this game for literally years, bought Tulane season tickets, and now to have this happen.

Just imagine having the Northwestern game canceled because of the pandemic when you live in Chicago
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Unread post by PeteRasche »

I put this in the OU game thread but a friend who is a Packers fan says NFL considering moving 9/12 Saints/Packers game to Dallas. If that's the case then there's no way we're hosting Morgan State the day before. If the power outage stories come true, we're not even hosting UAB.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Nola.com has a live-updated twitter feed page with info from around southeast LA, broken out into "frames" by area, if y'all want to follow status of certain places.
https://www.nola.com/news/hurricane/art ... c17f3.html
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Unread post by WaveProf »

Electricity out in definitely. Phone spotty at best. House rocked and rolled all night. Much water in every window. Water and cracks in all the drywall. House looks like it has moved on its foundation almost an inch, it could be visibly seen leaning from outside. All three exterior patios mostly destroyed/gone. Water turned off because of major pipe burst under the house. Everyone safe and healthy.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
MNAlum
Coach Level

Unread post by MNAlum »

So sorry to hear this Prof. Good luck as you get things repaired. Have your neighbors in the Channel suffered the same occurrence? Best wishes.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Just heard that campus is closed until September 12th at the earliest, and classes will be online only until at least mid-October.

Official here:
https://tulane.edu/emergency
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

WaveProf wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm Electricity out in definitely. Phone spotty at best. House rocked and rolled all night. Much water in every window. Water and cracks in all the drywall. House looks like it has moved on its foundation almost an inch, it could be visibly seen leaning from outside. All three exterior patios mostly destroyed/gone. Water turned off because of major pipe burst under the house. Everyone safe and healthy.
holy crap, dude!! I shudder to think how long it's going to take to get all that fixed.. glad you're ok, but man I feel for you in regard to the long road you have ahead in regard to getting your house right.

must have been pretty terrifying to live through, as well
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

not sure the veracity.. rumor floating that Dannen is not happy OU leaked the game change to Norman... he says it may not change which could mean the game is going to be canceled and the rumor states it's because OU may be balking about switching 2024 to New Orleans

again.. rumor... take with a grain of salt
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm not sure the veracity.. rumor floating that Dannen is not happy OU leaked the game change to Norman... he says it may not change which could mean the game is going to be canceled and the rumor states it's because OU may be balking about switching 2024 to New Orleans

yeah, so we'll just put a strike through that weapons grade bullchyte... last time I listen to rumors from THAT source

Dannen gave a statement an hour ago that pretty sunk whatever that person thinks they heard/read... the ESPN story did have a line that seemed to address the 2024 game, and it's not coming to Yulman... "The two schools have agreed to work together on identifying a date in a future season to make up losing a game in New Orleans, according to Monday's release."

I found this interesting, as well: Due to the short notice of the move and the inability to assemble a full staff for the game, only the lower bowl of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium will be used for fan seating. Tulane will remain the home team and receive proceeds from ticket sales. I think the Sooner guy who's been posting on here should get to use his ticket for Saturday at Yulman stadium to get into the game in Norman.. but that's just me.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:47 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:06 pm not sure the veracity.. rumor floating that Dannen is not happy OU leaked the game change to Norman... he says it may not change which could mean the game is going to be canceled and the rumor states it's because OU may be balking about switching 2024 to New Orleans

yeah, so we'll just put a strike through that weapons grade bullchyte... last time I listen to rumors from THAT source

Dannen gave a statement an hour ago that pretty sunk whatever that person thinks they heard/read... the ESPN story did have a line that seemed to address the 2024 game, and it's not coming to Yulman... "The two schools have agreed to work together on identifying a date in a future season to make up losing a game in New Orleans, according to Monday's release."

I found this interesting, as well: Due to the short notice of the move and the inability to assemble a full staff for the game, only the lower bowl of Oklahoma Memorial Stadium will be used for fan seating. Tulane will remain the home team and receive proceeds from ticket sales. I think the Sooner guy who's been posting on here should get to use his ticket for Saturday at Yulman stadium to get into the game in Norman.. but that's just me.

Oklahoma and their fans have been first class. I hope he gets to go the game as well. A big thanks to UAB as well. Allowing us to use their campus and facilities is a great gesture.

I would pay to be a fly on the wall for the basketball pickup games between UAB and Tulane to see how Cook and Walker stack up against each other.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by Marathon Wave »

WaveProf wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:35 pm Electricity out in definitely. Phone spotty at best. House rocked and rolled all night. Much water in every window. Water and cracks in all the drywall. House looks like it has moved on its foundation almost an inch, it could be visibly seen leaning from outside. All three exterior patios mostly destroyed/gone. Water turned off because of major pipe burst under the house. Everyone safe and healthy.
OMG. Prof. Sorry to read this. Hope you can stay safe and, eventually, work on the house issues. As one who was inundated from Katrina, I feel for you.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

Finally got a decent cell connection to check in. My roof was torn apart and the ceiling in 4 rooms of my house collapsed from being waterlogged. We were at my parents house (not far from my house) during the storm and it was a scary few hours as the eyewall passed very close, if not right over us. Fortunately they only suffered minimum fence and siding damage.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

A friend sent me videos he took from the academic quad of campus today. Many large trees completely uprooted, large portions of the walking paths impassable. Despite that, the sturdy old buildings looked undamaged (from the ground at least, no telling about roofs). Garbage cans had been scattered around presumably in prep for cleanup (they were all upright so I'm guessing they weren't just blown there). One huge limb of one of the massive live oaks in front of Gibson snapped off at the trunk.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

Hope everyone is safe. My two buds in NOLA have not gotten back to me yet (understandable), so I hope they are OK. City took a big wallop.

You can always tell when Tulane is going to have a good football team, we always get a hurricane to f*ck things up.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

waverider wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:39 pm Finally got a decent cell connection to check in. My roof was torn apart and the ceiling in 4 rooms of my house collapsed from being waterlogged. We were at my parents house (not far from my house) during the storm and it was a scary few hours as the eyewall passed very close, if not right over us. Fortunately they only suffered minimum fence and siding damage.
glad you were somewhere safe w.r.... good thing you weren't home when things were collapsing.. that would have scared the shizzle out of me for sure.. and you'd have been evacuating into the teeth of the storm
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Does anyone know where the team is staying in Bham? Are we in a hotel, or actually at UAB (dorm or something?) Just curious how "comfortable" things are.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by noladave »

just announced that all interstates are finally open in Louisiana. not that it does much good, as power is out in the entire parishes of Orleans and Jefferson. quite few other parishes are in similar situations.

definitely a Katrina level event, with some smaller towns almost completely wiped out.

I’m thinking MAYBE October we will be returning to a partial, or quasi, normal experience.

many, many lives have been changed, as it will take years to repair all of the damage. Roof work along could take a year, possibly two.

prayers to everyone in the area.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

Are all athletes residing in Birmingham? MBB, wbb, baseball?
TXSooner518
Junior

Unread post by TXSooner518 »

NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:01 pm Tulane will remain the home team and receive proceeds from ticket sales. I think the Sooner guy who's been posting on here should get to use his ticket for Saturday at Yulman stadium to get into the game in Norman.. but that's just me.
Oklahoma and their fans have been first class. I hope he gets to go the game as well. A big thanks to UAB as well. Allowing us to use their campus and facilities is a great gesture.
Thanks guys! No such luck, unfortunately. I live in Austin, TX, and though I love my Sooners and hometown, a trip to Norman isn't quite the same as a trip to NOLA. :-D

And the OU season ticket holders and students all get first dibs, so would have been difficult anyway. All good, and great luck the rest of the season and with recovery. I know for any Tulane fans making the trip to Norman, there will be plenty of smoked meat and low ABV beer provided for y'all!
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Unread post by StPeteWave »

The team is staying at the Sheraton and sounds as though Tulane has the hotel to itself. CWF said that they are being treated very well and the players are eating out at various restaurants and being welcomed and treated well. This all from CWF interview with the GWR.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by windywave »

TXSooner518 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:22 pm
NJwave wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:01 pm Tulane will remain the home team and receive proceeds from ticket sales. I think the Sooner guy who's been posting on here should get to use his ticket for Saturday at Yulman stadium to get into the game in Norman.. but that's just me.
. I know for any Tulane fans making the trip to Norman, there will be plenty of smoked meat and low ABV beer provided for y'all!
Not if you bring your own beer :angel:
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count