Hurricane Ida watch

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Re: Hurricane Ida watch

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Center of the storm is due south of the city now. My power is still on.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Appreciate the update, TU77CAL82. I can promise I'm more anxiously watching New Orleans weather and news than I am any preseason NFL games this afternon.

Made me think of this... probably sums up the thoughts of all of us,whether living in New Orleans or not, right about now:

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Still have power in the Irish Channel. So far, not so bad. But don't want to say that out loud for obvious reasons. Could still get very bad. Meanwhile, out cocodrie/thibodaux/grand ilse/houma way? Thoughts and prayers
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Official landfall at 11:55 am CDT near Port Fourchon, Category 4, max sustained winds at 150 mph.

Hope y'all are safe and everything holds together.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Tens if not hundreds of utility trucks already forward staged on edge as of cone area. I guess Entergy is getting better at this.

May all stay safe. My buds with coastal fishing camps got their boats and valuables out Friday and as one said, “Kissed his house there goodbye.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

just a few power outages
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:27 pm Don't know if this means anything or not. At least OU is giving the storm some thought.
(I think they're scared of us and using this weather as possible excuse :green wink: )

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... w-orleans/
They're not using anything as an excuse but I'd bet they'd happily take a home game...
There’s a possibility the game is rescheduled, relocated, or even cancelled if the weather doesn’t allow for travel
What's your recommendations at Dreamland BBQ? Thanks.
We deserve so much better
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

as of 3:15pm Central.. number of outages
235,000 combined in orleans and jefferson

ASCENSION (L) 6224
ASSUMPTION (L) 1120
CALCASIEU (L) 1
E. BATON ROUGE (L) 4776
E. CARROLL (L) 1
E. FELICIANA (L) 34
IBERIA (L) 25
IBERVILLE (L) 1473
JEFFERSON (L) 130224
LAFAYETTE (L) 342
LAFOURCHE (L) 32200
LIVINGSTON (L) 1248
MOREHOUSE (L) 6
ORLEANS (L) 104446
OTHER (L) 8728
OUACHITA (L) 7
PLAQUEMINES (L) 10930
ST. BERNARD (L) 10351
ST. CHARLES (L) 16665
ST. HELENA (L) 9
ST. JAMES (L) 5553
ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST (L) 13950
ST. MARTIN (L) 54
ST. TAMMANY (L) 70
TANGIPAHOA (L) 2697
TERREBONNE (L) 26198
VERMILION (L) 5
W. FELICIANA (L) 1
WASHINGTON (L) 1422
WINN (L) 1
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:03 pm What's your recommendations at Dreamland BBQ? Thanks.
Buy a bottle of their sauce and put it on ribs you make yourself. 8)

(seriously I love their sauce but their meat is often overcooked and dried out, or else just cheaper ribs with less meat... maybe I just had bad luck the multiple times eating there or getting takeout over a 7 year period... Try Saw's BBQ while in Bham!)
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:23 pm
wavedom wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:03 pm What's your recommendations at Dreamland BBQ? Thanks.

(seriously I love their sauce but their meat is often overcooked and dried out, or else just cheaper ribs with less meat... maybe I just had bad luck the multiple times eating there or getting takeout over a 7 year period... Try Saw's BBQ while in Bham!)
Thanks. Actually I'm in Tuscaloosa.
greenguy
Riptide Level

Post by greenguy »

wavedom wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:09 pm

The original in Tuscaloosa is much better than the ones in Mobile, Huntsville, etc
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

greenguy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm

The original in Tuscaloosa is much better than the ones in Mobile, Huntsville, etc
I was told even the Tuscaloosa location "sold out" and started offering sides other than slides of Wonder bread... when I went to Dreamland 2 in Birmingham before a Wave hoops game v UAB, the ribs were awesome... but I've been to the franchises that offer sides and they were nowhere near as good
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:37 pm
greenguy wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:13 pm

I was told even the Tuscaloosa location "sold out" and started offering sides other than slides of Wonder bread... when I went to Dreamland 2 in Birmingham before a Wave hoops game v UAB, the ribs were awesome... but I've been to the franchises that offer sides and they were nowhere near as good
They'd all "sold out" before I moved away and that was 2004...

Admittedly I never went to the Tuscaloosa location, only Bham. Every time the meat was disappointing. Wavedom, Saw's is worth the 45 minute drive up to Bham!

Back to the main topic, saw an Entergy tweet that all power was out in Orleans Parish due to "a catastrophic failure". Details?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

nola ready, sent out the following message. absolutely no power left in New Orleans

@EntergyNOLA has confirmed that New Orleans has no power. The only power in the city is coming from generators. #Ida
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

We prefer Jim and Nick's. their cheese biscuits are amazing! We even buy the mix for those a Publix for when we can't get there.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

BREAKING: Entergy transmission tower fell in Avondale and New Orleans City Council Member Joe Giarrusso says #HurricaneIda took down 8 Entergy transmission lines, including a major one in Harahan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

AO Sig wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:32 pm We prefer Jim and Nick's. their cheese biscuits are amazing! We even buy the mix for those a Publix for when we can't get there.
I love Jim 'N Nick's as well (especially those cheddar biscuits). I just know the food snobs here will look down their noses at the mention of a chain with so many locations. :lol:

I saw a live stream from the CBD around 9 pm cdt and the streets were not even flooded. Amazing considering the rainfall shown on radar. The pumps must really be working for once.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

LaPlace is wiped out. Hahnville, Destrehan, Norco, & Kenner have substantial damage. Just a terrible day for a lot of my family & friends.

Oschner Hospital on Jefferson Hwy has roof damage.
Last edited by tjtlja on Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doc
President's Circle

Post by doc »

I just went through Ida in Metarie. It was brutal. I expect the damage to be catastrophic tomorrow. I will be shocked if we play Oklahoma or anyone else at home for many, many weeks. The New Orleans infrastructure (power grid, water) is apparently a disaster
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Doc, I hope you are well. Take care my friend.

My folks live in Kenner and I am praying their house is ok. The reports though are not good. A lot of roof damage. They are too old to have to go through this crap again. These hurricanes suck. I wish they would have moved after Katrina. They are devastated.

As far as football goes, try to reschedule the first two games or just cancel them. Way too many other things going on to worry about than a Tulane football game.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:59 pm
AO Sig wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:32 pm We prefer Jim and Nick's. their cheese biscuits are amazing! We even buy the mix for those a Publix for when we can't get there.
I love Jim 'N Nick's as well (especially those cheddar biscuits). I just know the food snobs here will look down their noses at the mention of a chain with so many locations. :lol:

I saw a live stream from the CBD around 9 pm cdt and the streets were not even flooded. Amazing considering the rainfall shown on radar. The pumps must really be working for once.
We love Jim "Nick's. Just get to eat there a lot so was looking forward to Dreamland. We'll see.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Official statement from Tulane linked on the main school page at 11:30 pm last night:
https://tulane.edu/ida-aftermath-update-082921

Basically everyone is to remain sheltered until damage is assessed. Sounds like campus is (still?) running on generators. I wonder how much of campus is powered and how long they can run on generators (presumably that requires continuing to refuel).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:03 am Official statement from Tulane linked on the main school page at 11:30 pm last night:
https://tulane.edu/ida-aftermath-update-082921

Basically everyone is to remain sheltered until damage is assessed. Sounds like campus is (still?) running on generators. I wonder how much of campus is powered and how long they can run on generators (presumably that requires continuing to refuel).
reading WWL online this morning... one of the towers bringing in the transmission lines is in the river... that doesn't sound like any kind of quick fix, to me... I would bet today, we are playing in Norman on Saturday. I honestly think the home game against Morgan State is listed as "questionable" right now for being played in Yulman. But there is a lot of time between now and then and getting the entire city back online will of course be a massive priority.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:44 am reading WWL online this morning... one of the towers bringing in the transmission lines is in the river... that doesn't sound like any kind of quick fix, to me... I would bet today, we are playing in Norman on Saturday. I honestly think the home game against Morgan State is listed as "questionable" right now for being played in Yulman. But there is a lot of time between now and then and getting the entire city back online will of course be a massive priority.
WWL also has the headline "LSU football evacuates to Houston, Tulane to Florida ahead of Hurricane Ida". Tulane volleyball went to Florida, football went to Birmingham. But hey, those reporters probably had a little on their minds so I will cut them some slack. Though I was actually thinking yesterday "I can't wait to see the 10-minute-long 'human interest story' about the hardships LSU football is facing this Fall after the hurricane" :roll: Aw, who are we kidding, I'm not going to watch GameDay anyway...

Earlier this morning I saw photos of the tower that went down. I can't find where I saw it to repost here, but it was one of those huge steel frame high-voltage transmission towers... just gone. The amount of power wiring that would come down with one of those is... well, the Electrical Engineers at my office who specialize in high-power systems are wide-eyed and "OMG." at the implications of one of those coming down.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »