Hurricane Ida watch

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Hurricane Ida watch

Post by noladave »

as of this morning, Ida expected to hit 50-75 miles from Nola, with Orleans parish expected to get up to 75 mph winds gusts. Houma, Thibodaux, and Baton Rouge expected to get much higher winds/flood damage.

I hope everyone stays safe.

and, let’s see if there are any ripple issues for the game..
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Re: Hurricane Ida watch

Post by Johnny Mac »

it's hitting about a week before the game, so gives some time for repairs to power lines which undoubtedly will be coming down with high winds... let's also hope the storm moves fast and flooding is minimal... this could be a Cat 4 when it hits the coast

5pm Friday track has it a bit more west than this morning, but New Orleans will be on the nasty (east) side of the storm

hunker down all of you in or near the path
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TXSooner518
Junior

Post by TXSooner518 »

All y'all stay safe, sure hoping to still see you from Wed-Sun next week!
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

10pm gives nola a sliver of hope. it will still come down to just how widespread the damage will be. Right now, Baton Rouge is in the bullseye, after hitting the coast, and coastal surge of 11-15 feet, near the landfall area. Sure hope it’s not as bad as predicted.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

noladave wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:33 pm 10pm gives nola a sliver of hope. it will still come down to just how widespread the damage will be. Right now, Baton Rouge is in the bullseye, after hitting the coast, and coastal surge of 11-15 feet, near the landfall area. Sure hope it’s not as bad as predicted.
Looking really good if it holds. I told my wife I have “the gift” because earlier I predicted this (she told her boss today I should have been a meteorologist)! May only be a 3 at landfall if it stays on course. Track has it coming east of Baton Rouge, but still west of Houma with projected winds of around 60mph for Kenner. We had stronger winds for Zeta in October.

Of course, as predictable these storms are, they are just as unpredictable. I joked that tomorrow morning we may wake up and they are creating new categories and tell us a Cat 13 is coming :lol:

Edit: at 4am they show it becoming a 4 before landfall but has it on the west side of Baton Rouge again.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
IM42lane
Breaker Level

Post by IM42lane »

Just be safe everyone. Good luck to all of us. ROLL WAVE!!!!
A.S. Madere ("Pete")
2005 Dennis Drive
Hammond, LA 70401-1519

Email: IM42lane@yahoo.com
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Dang, guys, be safe out there. Praying for you that Ida will dissipate somewhat.
Plan your work, work your plan.
StPeteWave
Navigator Level

Post by StPeteWave »

Praying for safety of all in the path of Ida.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

I know a lot of Tulane people in the Lafourche area that looks like will take the worst of it. For New Orleans’ sake I hope it stays on the same track and maybe even a jog to the west. If it stays on track WWL is showing us in the 38-59mph wind field with gust of 80-100.
Tulane Greenbackers

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

I was in Thibodaux all day yesterday and my wife at Tulane, so we couldn't prep. We have a hotel in Houston we can still cancel, and we spent most of the morning prepping. Roads look clogged so we think we are going to cancel the hotel and hunker down.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

It has jogged a little east. Leaving is the best thing to do. Stay safe everyone.
We deserve so much better
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Don't know if this means anything or not. At least OU is giving the storm some thought.
(I think they're scared of us and using this weather as possible excuse :green wink: )

https://soonerswire.usatoday.com/2021/0 ... w-orleans/
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

yesterday our Mayor said it was too late for mandatory evacuation, so we need to hunker down.

today she says you should get out..

we are screwed, and it’s too late for evacuation, as there is too much traffic on the evacuation routes.

this could cause serious problems.

Football team is headed out of town.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:27 pm Don't know if this means anything or not. At least OU is giving the storm some thought.
(I think they're scared of us and using this weather as possible excuse :green wink: )

They're not using anything as an excuse but I'd bet they'd happily take a home game...
There’s a possibility the game is rescheduled, relocated, or even cancelled if the weather doesn’t allow for travel
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

noladave wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:19 pm yesterday our Mayor said it was too late for mandatory evacuation, so we need to hunker down.

today she says you should get out..

we are screwed, and it’s too late for evacuation, as there is too much traffic on the evacuation routes.

this could cause serious problems.

Football team is headed out of town.
In the past, it’s been my experience that the night before, traffic lightens. So maybe getting to Houston this evening is still a possibility.

I would keep an eye on your smart phone and your ear to the radio to find the best route.

There’s US 90 through Morgan City
US 190 through Opelousas
And I-10 through Baton Rouge as possibilities.

Shreveport would be another good choice.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 pm
Marathon Wave wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:27 pm Don't know if this means anything or not. At least OU is giving the storm some thought.

They're not using anything as an excuse but I'd bet they'd happily take a home game...
There’s a possibility the game is rescheduled, relocated, or even cancelled if the weather doesn’t allow for travel
I was wondering if they would offer to have the home game this year and swap our return trip for a Tulane home game.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

We are staying and will go to my parents house so we are all together plus they have a generator that will at least keep the fridge and some fans running. I told my wife if it looks like we will be without power too long we will find a hotel. My part of the neighborhood is on the same grid as Kenner Ochsner. For Zeta we were without power for about 6 hours.
Tulane Greenbackers

gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

waverider wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:49 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 pm

I was wondering if they would offer to have the home game this year and swap our return trip for a Tulane home game.
And then just cancel the return trip. Learning the SEC tricks already
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The press release doesn't mention rescheduling or relocating or canceling. In fact it tries hard to not imply that while making it clear they have open conversations. It's the ARTICLE that adds that on at the end. Meanwhile, Tulane tweeted pictures today of extra generators being delivered to power Yulman in case power is still out. Tulane is going to move heaven and earth to host this game.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

NWS New Orleans tweet

For metro NOLA: Expect winds >110mph sustained. Rainfall 15-20” with 20”+ possible. Brief tornadoes possible.

several minutes later…
oops, gusts up to 110, not sustained.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

10pm update, track moves closer to New Orleans…

wind damage/power outages predicted to be substantial.

maybe it weakens, or maybe they get it wrong, fingers crossed 🤞
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

And this morning...

I left early yesterday.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

God bless everyone. Our prayers are with everyone.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Prayers for those who stayed and left. May there not be any damage to talk about (on this board or any other).
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Okay I really love living in Louisiana, but I will never get used to living in the threats of hurricane season. I wish I had a summer home in the Rockies!

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"