OU game predictions

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

OU game predictions

Post by Marathon Wave »

Just found this. Surprised we're even metioned.

https://sports.yahoo.com/oklahoma-vs-tu ... 37934.html

...and here, we've got one vote!
https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/08 ... s-week-1/9
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
Coach Level

Re: OU game predictions

Post by 1401973 »

Auburn 2019. SEC.
Away at 80,000 stadium with rabid SEC fans.
Gus Mahlzahn genius HC and O coordinator.
0.00 percent chance to win.
Then the game happened.
We were in it and could have won that game.

We played against 2019 Mayfield and Murray. They whipped out arse.

Should we be afraid of 2021 OU?
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

1401973 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm Auburn 2019. SEC.
Then the game happened.

Rattler will be a much bigger challenge than Ridder will be.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 pm Rattler will be a much bigger challenge than Ridder will be.
Only because of the talented skill players and line around him. Rattler is good but he's still a sophomore and arguably wss about as good as Pratt last year but with better receivers and line aiding him.

Could he win the Heisman? Maybe. Could he win it if he played at Cincinnati or Tulane? Nope.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

Then the game happened.

Forgot about the AU game. Yes, we played them well.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:50 pm
waverider wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:10 pm Rattler will be a much bigger challenge than Ridder will be.
Only because of the talented skill players and line around him. Rattler is good but he's still a sophomore and arguably wss about as good as Pratt last year but with better receivers and line aiding him.

Could he win the Heisman? Maybe. Could he win it if he played at Cincinnati or Tulane? Nope.
I watched some of the OU vs Iowa St game from last year and their OL is really good. He does have a great supporting cast around him. Even when the OL didn’t hold up, Rattler would just sprint out and throw a perfect pass on the run. The thing he does well is get rid of the ball in a hurry, but some of that relies on the receivers quickly getting open and catching the ball when it comes to them.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Rattler is the favorite to win the Heisman. You could put Ridder on that Oklahoma roster and take Rattler out of the equation and Ridder would still not be a Heisman favorite.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:16 pm

Rattler is the favorite to win the Heisman. You could put Ridder on that Oklahoma roster and take Rattler out of the equation and Ridder would still not be a Heisman favorite.
Before this past month I'd have agreed but suddenly the media had decided Ridder is amazing. And the Heisman is really just a media event.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Oklahoma's defense is much better than 3 or 4 years ago with Mayfield or Murray.

I don't hate the Auburn comparison, but Auburn in the later years played a style that would let less talented teams stay in games. They were relying heavily on defense and it worked against teams like us. We really struggled to move the ball in that game. It was a respectable showing, but we deserved to lose by multiple scores. A team with a better QB and a little more talent around him could've won that game.

Oklahoma, on the other hand, plays a style that really makes it harder for less talented teams to keep up. They are going to maximize possessions in a game which in turn maximizes their advantages against most teams. They aren't unbeatable of course but it's hard to look at losses like ISU and KSU last year and not remember OUs depth was heavily impacted by covid. Rattler got better as the season went on in large part because some key contributors got back on the field.

We can beat OU if all the breaks go our way. OU has to make mistakes and we have to be flawless. I think OU can win the national title, so I'm not expecting that.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm ...and here, we've got one vote!
Yeah, Clucko the Chicken, whoever that is.

I think the score prediction is spot on, I would have said 42-14.

We made two key drops in that Auburn game that would have tightened it up, but we still would have lost. They had more depth, but our first team matched up well with them. JMac had a mediocre game that day and they focused on the run and stopped it.

If Long can gameplan to use OU's defensive aggressiveness against them, we can make things interesting.
Plan your work, work your plan.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:47 am... it's hard to look at losses like ISU and KSU last year and not remember OUs depth was heavily impacted by covid.
We can beat OU if all the breaks go our way.
Like half of their team being out with COVID this year?

As I stated elsewhere, I think this year is likely to be a bigger mess than last... Same amount of testing but people being less cautious amidst a variant that's much more transmissible. Just like the Bills player mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't take people being physically sick, it only takes a positive test and a bunch of players who were around that person. The rules are the rules.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:15 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:47 am... it's hard to look at losses like ISU and KSU last year and not remember OUs depth was heavily impacted by covid.

As I stated elsewhere, I think this year is likely to be a bigger mess than last... Same amount of testing but people being less cautious amidst a variant that's much more transmissible. Just like the Bills player mentioned in the other thread, it doesn't take people being physically sick, it only takes a positive test and a bunch of players who were around that person. The rules are the rules.
Well teams are more than half way through camp and no stories of outbreaks. The players have a lot invested and most teams have high vaccination rates. I tink it turns out better than you think. Hope I'm wrong with regards to OU. 8)
We deserve so much better
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

That would be a break going our way, though I don't wish that on any opponent. I thought there were some different rules for quarantining and contact tracing if your team had a high vaccination rate. Did I make that up?
beantownwave
Navigator Level

Post by beantownwave »

Rotorooter wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:13 am
Marathon Wave wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:31 pm ...and here, we've got one vote!
Yeah, Clucko the Chicken, whoever that is.

I think the score prediction is spot on, I would have said 42-14.

We made two key drops in that Auburn game that would have tightened it up, but we still would have lost. They had more depth, but our first team matched up well with them. JMac had a mediocre game that day and they focused on the run and stopped it.

If Long can gameplan to use OU's defensive aggressiveness against them, we can make things interesting.
Lol Clucko the Chicken is an actual chicken. They put down two pieces of feed, one representing each team in a certain game, and whichever piece of feed he eats first is picked as the winner… so we got that goin for us.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:31 am Well teams are more than half way through camp and no stories of outbreaks. The players have a lot invested and most teams have high vaccination rates. I tink it turns out better than you think. Hope I'm wrong with regards to OU. 8)
True that it's been okay thus far but to be fair, most college campuses are ghost towns in early to mid August except the fall sports athletes. Things are starting to get "real" as students return. We'll see. As I said in that other thread, I'd be happy if I'm completely wrong, because I wanna watch football!
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

Meanwhile we have a storm down south that may worsen and impact us next week. As someone who had tickets to Texas game at Tulane Stadium when UT was ranked number 1 in 1965 or so (memory is soft on exact year and ranking), I hope OU game is not impacted. That UT game was flipped to Austin on short notice.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:04 am Meanwhile we have a storm down south that may worsen and impact us next week. As someone who had tickets to Texas game at Tulane Stadium when UT was ranked number 1 in 1965 or so (memory is soft on exact year and ranking), I hope OU game is not impacted. That UT game was flipped to Austin on short notice.
At very least, it will impact ticket sales the week before. Especially for those who have to travel. If you were on the fence and waiting, a slow moving storm moving through early in the week doesn't increase optimism in the decision making process.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

WaveProf wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:15 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:04 am Meanwhile we have a storm down south that may worsen and impact us next week. As someone who had tickets to Texas game at Tulane Stadium when UT was ranked number 1 in 1965 or so (memory is soft on exact year and ranking), I hope OU game is not impacted. That UT game was flipped to Austin on short notice.
At very least, it will impact ticket sales the week before. Especially for those who have to travel. If you were on the fence and waiting, a slow moving storm moving through early in the week doesn't increase optimism in the decision making process.
The storm should well past by 9/4. https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2
" potentially bringing dangerous impacts from storm
surge, wind, and heavy rainfall to portions of the coasts of Texas,
Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle by Sunday
and Monday
."
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

For sure, Poseidon. Which is why I focused on people north of here. Not those of us who track this regularly. A tropical storm coming through the week of a game is not good juju for last minute deciders from afar. They see storm, they were already on the fence, and it pushes them one way. I didn't say it would be a major factor. But I do think it hampers final-week Oklahoma sales on seatgeek etc
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

There's a whole lineup of systems in the Atlantic they are projecting could be storms impacting the US. No telling how many will pan out and if so, if they'll head into the Gulf.

Selfishly hoping they stay away for week 2!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

There is not the same amount of testing. In the NFL for instance, vaccinated players are not tested, while unvaccinated are tested daily.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Then the game happened.

Well, Auburn's QB was (is) terrible and Oklahoma's QB might be the best player in the country. So, yes.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I was at Auburn game. Yes Auburn QB was at best average. However to remind us all that to win these games Tulane must exploit every opportunity, Tulane dropped two TD passes in that game. That was the margin of victory for Auburn No doubt the one by Mooney would have been a difficult catch. Still an upset that night was doable.

So to pull off that 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 upset against OU, Tulane has to play flawlessly and OU has to play flawed. That’s a true long shot.

One possible scenario: a repeat of OSU first half. If OU emulates Haskins and friends, it won’t matter how Tulane plays. I’m rooting for an Auburn scenario where The Wave have a chance.

No predictions here, yea or nay
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am I was at Auburn game. Yes Auburn QB was at best average. However to remind us all that to win these games Tulane must exploit every opportunity, Tulane dropped two TD passes in that game. That was the margin of victory for Auburn No doubt the one by Mooney would have been a difficult catch. Still an upset that night was doable.

So to pull off that 1 in 10 or 1 in 20 upset against OU, Tulane has to play flawlessly and OU has to play flawed. That’s a true long shot.

One possible scenario: a repeat of OSU first half. If OU emulates Haskins and friends, it won’t matter how Tulane plays. I’m rooting for an Auburn scenario where The Wave have a chance.

Auburn won by 18, though. Even with both TDs, we still need another score to win.
FW
Cornerstone

Post by FW »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:33 am
Baywave1 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:31 am I was at Auburn game. Yes Auburn QB was at best average. However to remind us all that to win these games Tulane must exploit every opportunity, Tulane dropped two TD passes in that game. That was the margin of victory for Auburn No doubt the one by Mooney would have been a difficult catch. Still an upset that night was doable.

Auburn won by 18, though. Even with both TDs, we still need another score to win.
We lost by 18. It is what it is, but if James (I think) doesn't drop a sure TD on the HB pass from Amare when it's 14-6, that's a totally different game midway through the 3rd quarter. Down 14-12 or 14-13 or tied 14-14. Do we still lose? Possibly or probably, but it's a new game. And, you stole some Auburn fan's keys that game, so........