Tulane SWEEPS Wichita St

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Re: Tulane vs Wichita St

Unread post by noladave »

sometimes you need to be lucky.

at one point, the teams combined to go .0645 with runners on base. I think it ended up worse than that.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Unread post by NJwave »

We are pitching really well, Burns is playing at an All conference level and Lee can flat out hit. The conference is not good other than ECU. It’s hard to imagine a regional bid without winning the tournament no matter what we do. It makes the “preseason” that much more upsetting.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:01 pm SWEEP 🧹

Gillies was superb. Clutch pitching with runners in scoring position all day. Have to clean up the errors. In game two, we had 4 hits and 4 errors, but survived. I think we are clearly the 2nd best team in the league. Watch out ECU.
Seriously....whatever meds you are on please check for a re-call....lol. One hour it is fire everyone, we can't recruit, who is next in line. Then next it is the post above. I am sooooo confused.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
long green
Cornerstone

Unread post by long green »

We all cope in our different ways. He's on meds, you wait for a winning streak to post again.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
visualmagic
President's Circle

Unread post by visualmagic »

long green wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:44 pm We all cope in our different ways. He's on meds, you wait for a winning streak to post again.
:laugh:
He’s just too busy to post after the losses
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

BACONWAVE wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:37 pm

Gillies was superb. Clutch pitching with runners in scoring position all day. Have to clean up the errors. In game two, we had 4 hits and 4 errors, but survived. I think we are clearly the 2nd best team in the league. Watch out ECU.
Seriously....whatever meds you are on please check for a re-call....lol. One hour it is fire everyone, we can't recruit, who is next in line. Then next it is the post above. I am sooooo confused.
Bacon, I mean Coach Jewett, you wouldn’t be so confused if you actually read the board after losses and actually participated on the board on a regular basis. Don’t understand why you only respond when we are winning (probably drinking yourself to death after losing to teams from the Grand Canyon area). Come on Jewett, you can do better than that. Let’s hear some analysis after a loss. Your job is secure, don’t sweat it.
visualmagic
President's Circle

tjtlja wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 pm

Bacon, I mean Coach Jewett, you wouldn’t be so confused if you actually read the board after losses and actually participated on the board on a regular basis. Don’t understand why you only respond when we are winning (probably drinking yourself to death after losing to teams from the Grand Canyon area). Come on Jewett, you can do better than that. Let’s hear some analysis after a loss. Your job is secure, don’t sweat it.
I can’t see anyway we finish below 3rd in the AAC, so I’d have to agree.
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Unread post by BACONWAVE »

I am busy with work & kid's baseball right now. My only problem is the bi-polar actions. Like find a level in between & stick with it.

I have said once before that I would love to see what we could do with a stable coaching crew. One we haven't actually had since TJ took over. Last year we were clicking & covid kills us. Coach leaves we bring in another...he stays till October....he leaves for a better job. I don't think he is a bad coach. I think he needs stable assistant coaches & recruiters & he can stick to coaching hitting.
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Unread post by waverider »

It’s a fan message board. “Bipolar” responses are expected. We are all guilty of it, but what LG said was funny and true.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

BACONWAVE wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:58 pm

I am busy with work & kid's baseball right now. My only problem is the bi-polar actions. Like find a level in between & stick with it.

I have said once before that I would love to see what we could do with a stable coaching crew. One we haven't actually had since TJ took over. Last year we were clicking & covid kills us. Coach leaves we bring in another...he stays till October....he leaves for a better job. I don't think he is a bad coach. I think he needs stable assistant coaches & recruiters & he can stick to coaching hitting.
This excuse you’ve used incessantly about keeping the same assistant coaches is senseless.
He had to replace Tighe Dickinson because he wasn’t a good coach. The volunteer assistants that you’re talking about that left, Izzio and Alonzo Wright. God help you, if the success and failure of our program hinges on whether or not a volunteer assistant coach sticks around, then we don’t have the right guy in charge.

Rick Jones replaced Jim Schlossnagle without missing a beat and you’re over here whining about a volunteer assistant. Come on man.
Bham Wave
President's Circle

Unread post by Bham Wave »

Gilles looked great yesterday. I don’t know what button Latham pushed with him but I hope it continues.

I just hope at some point this season we learn how to defend the Force Balk/Rundown play with runners on first and third. This is a little league play and my boys learned how to defend it when they were 12 if not sooner.

Step 1. Make sure pitcher doesn’t balk when everyone starts yelling step off
Step 2. Look runner at third back
Step 3. Get the ball out of the pitchers hand as quick as possible when looking at runner standing between first and second. His back is to the runner at third which is not good.
Step 4. Throw the ball to the second baseman charging in. Once he has the ball he has the runner between first and second and the runner at third in front of him which is what you want.
Step 5. Second baseman makes the runner between first and second commit and then with one throw short should be able to get him out. All the while watching runner at third keeping him honest. SS and 1b should pinch. No need to stay on the bag. This shortens throw.

The second our pitcher wheels and throws to 2nd base we are behind the 8 ball. Our SS is now running towards first so the runner at third can creep down the line because he knows it will take an extra second for SS to stop, spin, and throw. When we make any type of long throw to first baseman that is when the guy will score.
Roll Wave Roll!!!
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Bham Wave wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:48 am Gilles looked great yesterday. I don’t know what button Latham pushed with him but I hope it continues.

I just hope at some point this season we learn how to defend the Force Balk/Rundown play with runners on first and third. This is a little league play and my boys learned how to defend it when they were 12 if not sooner.

Step 1. Make sure pitcher doesn’t balk when everyone starts yelling step off
Step 2. Look runner at third back
Step 3. Get the ball out of the pitchers hand as quick as possible when looking at runner standing between first and second. His back is to the runner at third which is not good.
Step 4. Throw the ball to the second baseman charging in. Once he has the ball he has the runner between first and second and the runner at third in front of him which is what you want.
Step 5. Second baseman makes the runner between first and second commit and then with one throw short should be able to get him out. All the while watching runner at third keeping him honest. SS and 1b should pinch. No need to stay on the bag. This shortens throw.

The second our pitcher wheels and throws to 2nd base we are behind the 8 ball. Our SS is now running towards first so the runner at third can creep down the line because he knows it will take an extra second for SS to stop, spin, and throw. When we make any type of long throw to first baseman that is when the guy will score.
Got anything on bunting in the second inning with no outs down 2 runs?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
waverider
Cornerstone

Re: Tulane SWEEPS Wichita St

Unread post by waverider »

6th straight win. We are a regular season team :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Yankeewave »

Omaha!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

Hope there are no clouds in Greenville or our goose is cooked
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:34 pm Hope there are no clouds in Greenville or our goose is cooked
Braden and Jack and pray for opponent's false-positive COVID tracing?
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
GSx
Emerald Circle

Unread post by GSx »

This was a big win. We needed the sweep. I know we dug ourselves a huge hole, but we have a chance. Congrats to the team!
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tjtlja »

gerryb323 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:00 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:34 pm Hope there are no clouds in Greenville or our goose is cooked
Braden and Jack and pray for opponent's false-positive COVID tracing?
LMAO
QuarterbackU
Regent's Circle

Unread post by QuarterbackU »

I know there is such a long way to go but it sure as hell would be nice to find a way to win a regular season conference championship.
Tulane Alum | T-Club Member | Season Ticket Holder
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Unread post by tulaneoutlaw »

QuarterbackU wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:11 am I know there is such a long way to go but it sure as hell would be nice to find a way to win a regular season conference championship.
Indeed it would. I think we did back in 2016. A part of me would like to see us win the conference tournament since I don't think we have done that in any sport in a long time.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Unread post by wavedom »

Well then let's win both. That way we don't just squeeze in as a bracket filler . Instead we go in with momentum and expectations that we can actually do something once we are there.
We deserve so much better
randymc
President's Circle

Unread post by randymc »

I love how this team is overcoming the odds (and a few missteps in the field along the way) to pile up the wins. Next two weeks will tell the tale about just how key that series with ECU will be. Engelhard showing power; Lee rakes every day. Minder near his return I bet; and Gillies looked dominant; starters Olthoff, Aldrich and second man up D. Benoit were awesome vs. the Shockers. With Tulane's pitching on a hot streak, this team could be special down the stretch. (p.s.: I also like the way Walker Burchfield handles himself defensively at first base; and he scalded two sharp hits Sunday for a real nice RBI at crunch time on his second single).
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Baywave1 »

We have a path now that the “regular” season has started. I hope we don’t finish second in a one bid league and learn the hard way that NCAA quaintly “values” preseason games too.

But then we already know that answer,
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Unread post by Rotorooter »

ALERT!!!

It appears as though the current coaching crisis is over--at least until the next series.

SARCASM!
:lol: :angel:
Plan your work, work your plan.
CletusRelm
Navigator Level

Unread post by CletusRelm »

First of all, it was GREAT to see TU win and sweep any team, and its that much better to see it done to a pretty good team. (It almost felt like the old days when u expected TU to win). Nevertheless, I was so happy this past weekend.

Second, with that being said, I know coach TJ could not be that stupid or nieave to not consider the "PRESEASON GAMES" as real games. Its just a shame that we could not win more of those games because I'm afraid (because of our RPI), the only way were in the final 64 is to win the AAC Tournament unless we go on a tear and win every series and a couple of those series by sweeping some teams with bad RPI's. It would be great to see us go 8-0 the next 8 games (Memphis, Houston) considering who we are playing, but that is a very tall order to do. (If its anything other 7-1 I'll take it, but I believe that will be bad because of the RPI)

Lastly, I believe if they just win those series or tie any series other than ECU, I don't know if TU will have a chance of an at large bid. (I hope I'm wrong):o