Tulane vs. USF series cancelled due to COVID

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Re: Tulane vs. USF series cancelled due to COVID

Post by visualmagic »

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Yankeewave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:55 pm Disney baby!
Now that they are allowing people to remove masks for pictures my wife wants to go back and retake all of ours :lol:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

this is a whole lot of dead time... I don’t think i’ve ever seen a team have 12 days off in the middle of the season. might give needed rest for some, others might rust up, and take a game, or 2, in order to get timing back.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pmSo just so I get this straight, you are saying that no one should be tested unless they have a fever?
I’ve been saying that for over a year.
And for over a year you've ignored the fact that literally the by-far-number-one reason why this thing keeps spreading is asymptomatic transmission. Like, that's literally an accepted fact by both sides of the aisle, not denied by any doctors, confirmed by every virologist, and isn't even in question... people get the virus and have it for several days with zero symptoms and therefore keep living their lives and spreading it to others, before they show symptoms.

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 pmIt’s like going to a doctor and asking him to run tests for no reason.
No, it's catching asymptomatic carriers before they can spread it to even more people for the 3-5 day window that most people are asymptomatic. This is the reason why every single player is getting regularly tested and why NCAA sports have been able to continue as well as they have; if they waited until someone showed symptoms and then had to shut down anyone who'd been in contact with the player over the previous 3-5 days that they'd been asymptomatic, there would have been no football and basketball seasons at all.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Pete, you are making too much sense.

By the way, are we scrimmaging?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

tjtlja wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:16 pm Pete, you are making too much sense.

By the way, are we scrimmaging?
:lol:
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pm

So just so I get this straight, you are saying that no one should be tested unless they have a fever?
I’ve been saying that for over a year. It’s like going to a doctor and asking him to run tests for no reason.
You are incredibly stupid and ill-informed.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:42 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pmSo just so I get this straight, you are saying that no one should be tested unless they have a fever?
Like, that's literally an accepted fact by both sides of the aisle, not denied by any doctors, confirmed by every virologist, and isn't even in question... people get the virus and have it for several days with zero symptoms and therefore keep living their lives and spreading it to others, before they show symptoms.
I don’t doubt that they can still spread it. By now I think with the number of people vaccinated we can start treating this like we do any other viral infection. The symptoms have proven to not be that bad in most people. Heck, even some of the people at work that have gotten the shot have missed a day of work after not missing any time when they actually had the virus.

My point was, even though it’s a different virus, do you know of anyone that gets tested for the flu, or any other illnesses, without having symptoms? Those have asymptomatic carriers.
Tulane Greenbackers

waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

windywave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:30 pm

So just so I get this straight, you are saying that no one should be tested unless they have a fever?
I’ve been saying that for over a year. It’s like going to a doctor and asking him to run tests for no reason.
But I can still take solace knowing I’m not you. I think the I’ll-informed people are the ones that still think this is a big deal after a year of living with the virus around us. I use real world experience, not what people profiting from fear tell me.
Last edited by waverider on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:35 pm

But I can still take solace knowing I’m not you.
Yeah but then you realize you're you and the straits of despair appear as a gaping gulf in front of your eyes
#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:42 pm
Like, that's literally an accepted fact by both sides of the aisle, not denied by any doctors, confirmed by every virologist, and isn't even in question... people get the virus and have it for several days with zero symptoms and therefore keep living their lives and spreading it to others, before they show symptoms.
I don’t doubt that they can still spread it. By now I think with the number of people vaccinated we can start treating this like we do any other viral infection. The symptoms have proven to not be that bad in most people. Heck, even some of the people at work that have gotten the shot have missed a day of work after not missing any time when they actually had the virus.

My point was, even though it’s a different virus, do you know of anyone that gets tested for the flu, or any other illnesses, without having symptoms? Those have asymptomatic carriers.
Those morality rates are lower. Come September your opinion would have the veneer of validity. At present it is idiocy.
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

windywave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Yeah but then you realize you're you and the straits of despair appear as a gaping gulf in front of your eyes
Nope. I don’t live life based on fear mongering. I’m still waiting to attend the funerals of everyone I know. That’s what the virus was supposed to do.
Tulane Greenbackers

noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

much like the threads that derail into great eating spots, this is now a covid political/scientific post..

can we move it back to on topic posts?
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:39 pm

Nope. I don’t live life based on fear mongering. I’m still waiting to attend the funerals of everyone I know. That’s what the virus was supposed to do.
You can't cure stupid.

You're ill-informed. I'll trust the people I know who are doctors and virologists. You trust tweets, 30 second clips on TV etc. If people hadn't been blithering dildo idiots the country would be wide open by now, but alas people are stupid.
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

noladave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:39 pm much like the threads that derail into great eating spots, this is now a covid political/scientific post..

To ask tj’s question, are we scrimmaging with the extra time off? :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

noladave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:39 pm much like the threads that derail into great eating spots, this is now a covid political/scientific post..

Um the title contains COVID and there's no politics involved unless scientific ignorance is the backbone of a new party I'm not aware of.
#cousins don't count
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

windywave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:42 pm

You can't cure stupid.

You're ill-informed. I'll trust the people I know who are doctors and virologists. You trust tweets, 30 second clips on TV etc. If people hadn't been blithering dildo idiots the country would be wide open by now, but alas people are stupid.
I don’t really follow any of those. Like I said, I go by real life experience. People in my family that usually get pretty sick routinely, got Covid with minor effects. Some were recovering from cancer and didn’t feel bad for more than a day or two. I’m going by that. I am pretty sure I had last February and most of my coworkers had it and didn’t think it was more than allergies or a sinus infection. But, everyone is different and your weak immune system needs to dictate how afraid you are of the virus.
Tulane Greenbackers

windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:46 pm
windywave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:42 pm

You can't cure stupid.

I don’t really follow any of those. Like I said, I go by real life experience. People in my family that usually get pretty sick routinely, got Covid with minor effects. Some were recovering from cancer and didn’t feel bad for more than a day or two. I’m going by that. I am pretty sure I had last February and most of my coworkers had it and didn’t think it was more than allergies or a sinus infection. But, everyone is different and your weak immune system needs to dictate how afraid you are of the virus.
All of my previous statements are incorporated as if contained herein
Last edited by windywave on Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pmBy now I think with the number of people vaccinated we can start treating this like we do any other viral infection.
Glad we have you to make that decision and not, you know, the literal experts in the field who say herd immunity requires waaaaay higher immunization numbers than that. And no, I don't read the news, I follow the studies of several people who are experts in the fields of virology and epidemiology and are completely non-political about their findings while at the same time being consulted by groups from across the entire country. I'd show you where to look but I know you don't want to know.
waverider wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:34 pmThe symptoms have proven to not be that bad in most people. Heck, even some of the people at work that have gotten the shot have missed a day of work after not missing any time when they actually had the virus.
Yep, let's base it off of the experience of people at your work. Clearly a representative sample of all of America.

I was literally waiting for you to drop the stock "I don't live in fear" line. I see you just finally did. It took you long enough....

It's truly amazing how people pick and choose the examples they want to support their personal stance instead of seeking out opinions of people who were studying viruses and contagion before COVID-19 even arrived.
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

Tulane baseball just 5 minutes ago tweeted photos of the team working out on USF's field; so they are getting at least practice time in as we speak-- batting cage work, for example, judging by 4 photos posted.
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

Hey waverider, I have a tee time Monday here in ATL, or you can meet me in Florida in May and we'll play a couple of really good courses down there, then go out and have a really good meal after. They have some really great restaurants where you can eat al fresco and not worry about wearing a mask. I did it for two months without incident and the weather was perfect. You're invited.
Plan your work, work your plan.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

ml wave wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm
randymc wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:45 am Florida man Gov. DeSantis ruining his state and people's health.
Oh no, this is going to wake up the official FL Chamber of Commerce poster...
Well, it woke me up.
Florida had one of the best COVID records in the country until recently, and I think a lot of that was a credit to the Governor and the strong Libertarian bent of the population.
The Governor should not be blamed for the current spike, even if it makes you feel somehow "superior" for doing so. If I had to speculate, I'd offer that, with warming weather, Florida is experiencing a big influx of tourists from other states that have failed to handle the pandemic effectively. I know that where I live, in the far north of the state, I'm seeing inflated levels of New York and Ontario license plates (probably a pent-up demand after last year's shutdown).
Now, I'm claiming the "last word," and asking for no further discussion of pandemic concerns. I just kill the entire thread rather than attempt to police a runaway discussion that borders on political.
If somebody wants to continue the discussion about who's right and who's wrong in their approach to pandemic fears, take it to a new thread, where it can be more easily be policed. Keep in mind that policing will be dictatorial and anything even bordering on political will disappear.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Roller, you can't get political in a post and then tell people they can't talk politics. Just my 2¢
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.