Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Re: Dannen and Fritz to Kansas?

Post by Private Joker »

visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 pm
randymc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 pm seems to me that Troy Dannen has guided Tulane sports through a difficult financial year since COVID threatened to rip the heart out of college sports' income over the past 12 months. Plus, the fact that Coach Fritz has established a solid base line for the football program and upgraded recruiting and the won-loss record from such dismal coaches of our recent past like Bob Toledo, Chris Scelfo and CJ deserves praise not vitriol for both men's leadership.
Sure, Give him praise for getting football out of the cellar and be critical of the lack of progress in basketball and regression in baseball.
He got the most important sport out of the cellar. That trumps lack of progress elsewhere
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

He couldn't coach but it was 2 G-league guys (they got drafted in the second round but are where they are) and maybe 1 who played in Europe.
We deserve so much better
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

Ah the hemlock society is back.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Private Joker wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:55 pm
visualmagic wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 pm
randymc wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:13 pm seems to me that Troy Dannen has guided Tulane sports through a difficult financial year since COVID threatened to rip the heart out of college sports' income over the past 12 months. Plus, the fact that Coach Fritz has established a solid base line for the football program and upgraded recruiting and the won-loss record from such dismal coaches of our recent past like Bob Toledo, Chris Scelfo and CJ deserves praise not vitriol for both men's leadership.
Sure, Give him praise for getting football out of the cellar and be critical of the lack of progress in basketball and regression in baseball.
He got the most important sport out of the cellar. That trumps lack of progress elsewhere
If The football team was good as opposed to mediocre, I might agree
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

GSx wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:11 pm
noladave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:13 pm TD is absolutely thin skinned, can’t stand any personal criticism.
Yep he blocked me on twitter for "why in the world are we scheduling ULL."
Anyway, I think his biggest weakness is lack of fundraising (except squeezing season ticket holders)/facilities improvements.
lols! SAME HERE. What you and NolaDave say is true.

Very thin skinned move imo. Giving fans of an online forum way too much importance.

I guess it’s easier or more satisfaction than the just the Mute button?

What college program in the country doesn’t have people who disagree with decisions?

The difference with RD is that he was a vindictive jerk and would go out of his way to punish fans in various jerk ways and threaten department employees’ careers. I haven’t seen that extreme with TD. Evidently he just blocks people on social media, which is is lame, but minor.

I guess at the bottom of it this move shows we are all human and want everyone to like us personally.

But obviously criticism isn’t personal, it’s business- we all want our investment to do well at the end of the day.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

Poseidon wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:58 pm
NJwave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:45 pm I admit I liked the Dunleavy hire. We tried so many other routes that the outside the box hire was worth a shot. I thought he would recruit well and knows what it takes to play in the NBA. I didn’t factor in that he would coach with an NBA mindset about defense and that to an 18 year old kid his name probably meant nothing. Their parents may have known him.
We had some talent, but no coaching. Didnt we have two guys on the 17?? team that ended up in the nba and a another couple headed for europe. They played like there was no team practice at all. Like they just did individual developlement and threw is on the court playing man on d and create your own on offense.

You are right about the "we had to try something different" angle though.
Reynolds and Frazier both individually improved under Dunleavy to the point where Frazier was picked in the early second round and Reynolds’s has played in the league for 3 or 4 teams. I believe his 10 day contract with San Antonio just ended. As you said, individual player improvement did not lead to team improvement. You can’t win when defense is a rumor.

Hunter certainly has a defensive mentality and philosophy that has worked throughout his career. As the roster continues to improve, we will learn whether that system that puts less emphasis on inside scoring and rebounding will work in our league.

UCONN won a National title in our league, Houston just made the final four and Memphis won the NIT. Cincy and Wichita State have been good. Heck, UCF almost took out Duke in the tournament three or four years ago. Temple and Tulsa have danced recently from our league. It’s a good league that provides opportunities. I believe Tulane can be successful in basketball. One of these years I hope I am proven right.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Question: do y'all really think our AD has nothing better to do than sit in his office surfing Twitter and blocking people who say mean things?

Outside of our recent Commander in Chief, probably 99% of people in higher-up public administrative roles - especially ones that have to use social media for contact to their followers - have a person or team of people running their Twitter account. Those people may have been given specific instruction to keep the account "clean", meaning anything negative or questioning of the program gets deleted/blocked - which, if the case, you can argue the pros and cons of. Obviously if you are someone who was deleted or blocked, you only see it as a con; if you see the account as an advertisement for the school and athletic program, then keeping it "positive" for potential outsiders (recruits?) would be a reason to have that done.

Hey, y'all remember how RD's administration didn't use any social media because the fans weren't important? Ah, good times, good times.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Now that neither Dannen nor Fritz are going to Kansas we can get back to normal complaints.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TUPF wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:38 am Now that neither Dannen nor Fritz are going to Kansas we can get back to normal complaints.
Since when is Fritz not going to Kansas?
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

long green wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am
TUPF wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:38 am Now that neither Dannen nor Fritz are going to Kansas we can get back to normal complaints.
My mistake. Carry on.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TUPF wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:13 am
long green wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am
My mistake. Carry on.
Thank you. BLLLAAAAAHHHHH!
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

gerryb323 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 pm Well said TUPF
Agreed.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Just curious, does anyone believe at this point that WF is a serious candidate at Kansas, and if offered would take the job? If it comes to this, do you think TD should do everything within his power to retain WF?
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am Question: do y'all really think our AD has nothing better to do than sit in his office surfing Twitter and blocking people who say mean things?
I have no idea how he spends his time (apparently not fundraising). But whether it's him or one of his assistants blocking people, the effect is the same: thin-skinned and pretty rude behavior to donors.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:27 am Question: do y'all really think our AD has nothing better to do than sit in his office surfing Twitter and blocking people who say mean things?

Outside of our recent Commander in Chief, probably 99% of people in higher-up public administrative roles - especially ones that have to use social media for contact to their followers - have a person or team of people running their Twitter account. Those people may have been given specific instruction to keep the account "clean", meaning anything negative or questioning of the program gets deleted/blocked - which, if the case, you can argue the pros and cons of. Obviously if you are someone who was deleted or blocked, you only see it as a con; if you see the account as an advertisement for the school and athletic program, then keeping it "positive" for potential outsiders (recruits?) would be a reason to have that done.
There Are 25 tweets from TD’s account in 2021. I don’t think it’s A Stretch at all to think he runs that account by himself but of course it’s possible that he doesn’t. I do see the pros of deleting or blocking negativity but blocking and deleting negative replies to tweets @ the AD, which are few and far between isn’t making much of a difference when I see the same accounts replying with negativity at the official Football/basketball/baseball accounts when they post a final score of a loss.

I definitely don’t see any pros of blocking GSx for asking "why in the world are we scheduling ULL."
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... b644f.html

Guerry on this issue (Fritz, not what this thread is currently doing).
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:42 pm

There Are 25 tweets from TD’s account in 2021. I don’t think it’s A Stretch at all to think he runs that account by himself but of course it’s possible that he doesn’t. I do see the pros of deleting or blocking negativity but blocking and deleting negative replies to tweets @ the AD, which are few and far between isn’t making much of a difference when I see the same accounts replying with negativity at the official Football/basketball/baseball accounts when they post a final score of a loss.

I definitely don’t see any pros of blocking GSx for asking "why in the world are we scheduling ULL."
While he shouldn't have blocked GSX, any answer he gave would have been bs. There is no way he would have disparaged them and would have had said something like "We have a long tradition of playing ULL that we believe both fan bases enjoy and we really expect them to be a top notch opponent." It would not have satisfied anybody and would have been a lie, but on social media it is pretty much all he could have said. He probably didn't want a disparaging remark about ULL on his twitter feed.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... b644f.html

This says a lot.
Although his record is 29-33 in five years in New Orleans, Tulane went 36-97 in the 11 years before he arrived, reaching a bowl game in 2013 but finishing no better than 4-8 in any of the others. Those numbers are similar to the mess a new coach will inherit at Kansas, which is 18-99 over the past 10 years in the Big 12, went winless in 2020 and never finished better than 3-9 in that span.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

NJwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

While he shouldn't have blocked GSX, any answer he gave would have been bs. There is no way he would have disparaged them and would have had said something like "We have a long tradition of playing ULL that we believe both fan bases enjoy and we really expect them to be a top notch opponent." It would not have satisfied anybody and would have been a lie, but on social media it is pretty much all he could have said. He probably didn't want a disparaging remark about ULL on his twitter feed.
He could have simply ignored the comment. Him blocking GSx doesn’t delete the comment, everyone else can still see it.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

Twitter sucks.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

waverider wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:15 pm
long green wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:06 pm https://www.nola.com/sports/tulane/arti ... b644f.html

This says a lot.
Although his record is 29-33 in five years in New Orleans, Tulane went 36-97 in the 11 years before he arrived, reaching a bowl game in 2013 but finishing no better than 4-8 in any of the others. Those numbers are similar to the mess a new coach will inherit at Kansas, which is 18-99 over the past 10 years in the Big 12, went winless in 2020 and never finished better than 3-9 in that span.
This says more:
Kansas would offer a spot in the Power Five Conference and a salary jump for Fritz, though how big a bump is unclear. Miles earned $2.775 million per year at Kansas. Although Tulane does not release monetary information, USA Today’s salary database lists him as receiving $1,787,000 in 2020. A source indicated his actual compensation was higher than that.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Sophandros wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm

This says a lot.
This says more:
Kansas would offer a spot in the Power Five Conference and a salary jump for Fritz, though how big a bump is unclear. Miles earned $2.775 million per year at Kansas. Although Tulane does not release monetary information, USA Today’s salary database lists him as receiving $1,787,000 in 2020. A source indicated his actual compensation was higher than that.
As does this:
It is unclear how much, if any, mutual interest there is between Kansas and Fritz. He dismissed a question about the Jayhawks potentially pursuing him last month with a four-word answer: “Oh, it’s social media.”
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Sophandros wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:10 pm
Sophandros wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:09 pm

This says a lot.
This says more:
As does this:
It is unclear how much, if any, mutual interest there is between Kansas and Fritz. He dismissed a question about the Jayhawks potentially pursuing him last month with a four-word answer: “Oh, it’s social media.
Whether he’s interested or not, I wouldn’t expect him to say anything else.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Nothing unpredictable has happened. This includes the story with several players voicing support for the interim HC to get the job.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

visualmagic wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:21 pm
NJwave wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:12 pm

He could have simply ignored the comment. Him blocking GSx doesn’t delete the comment, everyone else can still see it.
Are you guys seriously butthurt over Twitter? Counting tweets? Long term Tulane fans should have thicker skins.