RPI Watch

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
noladave
Regent's Circle

RPI Watch

Post by noladave »

as of Sunday, Tulane is 96

ECU is #10

Wichita St is 2nd best in conference RPI 59

Memphis is 102

upcoming USF is 111

Cincinnati is 121

UCF is 130

Houston is 193

Grand Canyon is at 153

LSU is 35, with a 1-8 SEC record
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Re: RPI Watch

Post by Baywave1 »

Since RPI here basically is an SEC house tool, I'm curious who the informed folks around here think is the best team in Louisiana. It obviously ain't LSU or Tulane.

I guess the guy who kept interacting with Fear the Wave yesterday would vote for Loyola but I don't think that's true either.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

La Tech #9

ULL 43
Southeastern 67
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

Baywave1 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm Since RPI here basically is an SEC house tool, I'm curious who the informed folks around here think is the best team in Louisiana. It obviously ain't LSU or Tulane.

I guess the guy who kept interacting with Fear the Wave yesterday would vote for Loyola but I don't think that's true either.
Louisiana Tech easily. lsu is struggling worse than us but it's also against better competition
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

1309th WAVE wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:25 pm
Baywave1 wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:02 pm Since RPI here basically is an SEC house tool, I'm curious who the informed folks around here think is the best team in Louisiana. It obviously ain't LSU or Tulane.

Louisiana Tech easily. lsu is struggling worse than us but it's also against better competition
They’re Struggling Worse than us the past few weeks but overall they have a better record
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

If you were a bettor, who would you lay odds on hosting a regional, LSU or LA Tech? I don't care what the RPI says today, I'll be shocked if there's not baseball in Baton Rouge in June and not in Ruston (deserved or not).
Wavery
Navigator Level

Post by Wavery »

FWIW, Tech has a newly renovated baseball stadium. If they keep doing what they are doing they deserve to host.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:11 pm If you were a bettor, who would you lay odds on hosting a regional, LSU or LA Tech? I don't care what the RPI says today, I'll be shocked if there's not baseball in Baton Rouge in June and not in Ruston (deserved or not).
If LSU is a top 5 or 6 team in the SEC they will host, but that is unlikely.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:11 pm If you were a bettor, who would you lay odds on hosting a regional, LSU or LA Tech? I don't care what the RPI says today, I'll be shocked if there's not baseball in Baton Rouge in June and not in Ruston (deserved or not).
Look up current records before posting. Just because Tech might not host doesn't mean LSU will host. They have to fight to get in.
Last edited by long green on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

It would Be a shock for LSU to host at this point. They need work just to make the tournament at all.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

LSU has hosted more than once with marginal quality teams because it draws the biggest crowds in college baseball and sells out the regionals. The NCAA still pays attention to budgeting of championships in "minor" sports and LSU historically basically buys itself a perpetual home field advantage. However at some point the NCAA has to believe its lying eyes and maybe this year it won't ignore LSU's relative if not absolute mediocrity.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 am LSU has hosted more than once with marginal quality teams because it draws the biggest crowds in college baseball and sells out the regionals. The NCAA still pays attention to budgeting of championships in "minor" sports and LSU historically basically buys itself a perpetual home field advantage. However at some point the NCAA has to believe its lying eyes and maybe this year it won't ignore LSU's relative if not absolute mediocrity.
That was exactly my point. If you don't think "everything goes right for them" you haven't been paying attention. From the NCAA ignoring one of the most blatant basketball recruiting violations in recent history to the lucky fact that they've somehow had their best football teams in years where the championship game was in the Superdome giving them massive home field advantage... I know they say "you make your own breaks" but the NCAA seems to help them do it too. I'm just saying if you were forced to bet right now on which team will host this year, history says it isn't as clear as it appears.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

in this week’s D1Baseball Top 25,

ECU 9
La Tech 16.

Probably the only top 25 teams we will play all year.

LSU not ranked
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

if they aren't letting fans in, the financial motivation to let LSU host goes out the window. i think they will probably make it as a 3 seed somewhere. if they claw back to an even conference record, the ncaa will find a way to let them host. i know they got swept by Vandy but also by Tennessee who isn't that great. They want PM's head
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 am if they aren't letting fans in, the financial motivation to let LSU host goes out the window. i think they will probably make it as a 3 seed somewhere. if they claw back to an even conference record, the ncaa will find a way to let them host. i know they got swept by Vandy but also by Tennessee who isn't that great. They want PM's head
This

They are 1-8, not 5-6.

And Vandy was just the icing on the cake, not the reason for the record.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Yankeewave wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:30 am if they aren't letting fans in, the financial motivation to let LSU host goes out the window. i think they will probably make it as a 3 seed somewhere. if they claw back to an even conference record, the ncaa will find a way to let them host. i know they got swept by Vandy but also by Tennessee who isn't that great. They want PM's head
LSU has not hosted under Paul Mainieri with a SEC winning percentage of 50% or less. In fact, it's never happened since Skip Bertman really got them going.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

But you didn’t include the sec factor. Tennessee jumped from #22 to #10 after beating lsu and now up to #6 making those games “quality losses” for lsu :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

NCAA is doing predetermined host sites this year due to COVID protocols.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am NCAA is doing predetermined host sites this year due to COVID protocols.
Really. I did not know that. How and when are they being predetermined?
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:36 am
visualmagic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am NCAA is doing predetermined host sites this year due to COVID protocols.
The news just broke today. I don’t know how they’re determining the host sites but per Kendall Rogers, the sites will be announced the week of May 10th. Rogers said they’re doing this because sites need 3 weeks to be certified from a COVID protocol standpoint.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

visualmagic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:42 am
The news just broke today. I don’t know how they’re determining the host sites but per Kendall Rogers, the sites will be announced the week of May 10th. Rogers said they’re doing this because sites need 3 weeks to be certified from a COVID protocol standpoint.
So we could potentially be a host site due to our record of COVID protocols but not get to play in it because of our on-field record.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
occasionally
Navigator Level

Post by occasionally »

Baywave1 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:31 am LSU has hosted more than once with marginal quality teams because it draws the biggest crowds in college baseball and sells out the regionals. The NCAA still pays attention to budgeting of championships in "minor" sports and LSU historically basically buys itself a perpetual home field advantage. However at some point the NCAA has to believe its lying eyes and maybe this year it won't ignore LSU's relative if not absolute mediocrity.
Hasn't worked this way in probably 20 years. The top 16 teams in the committee's mind get 1 seeds and regional hosts. Only way a 2 seed hosts is if the 1 seed doesn't have an available facility.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

waverider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am
So we could potentially be a host site due to our record of COVID protocols but not get to play in it because of our on-field record.
Which just further plays into lsu's hands. Larger stadium means bigger crowds (allowing for COVID spacing).
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Marathon Wave wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:58 am
waverider wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:54 am
Which just further plays into lsu's hands. Larger stadium means bigger crowds (allowing for COVID spacing).
But what about the broadcast rights? :angel:
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

While the host sites will be predetermined they will still try to pick the host sites based on the top 16 teams at the time