A series win!

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
NJwave
Regent's Circle

A series win!

Post by NJwave »

Memphis is terrible, but we did what he had to. ECU is up 2-0 in the 8th trying to sweep Cincy. Wichita State took 3 of 4 from Houston and UCF and USF split their series.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Re: A series win!

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The season is essentially halfway over I believe. 1 game over .500. If we go 3-1, a very tall task, the rest of the way we would finish 35-20, probably not good enough to make the tournament. It's nice to win the series, but will still be very hard to achieve preseason goals
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:46 pmIf we go 3-1, a very tall task, the rest of the way we would finish 35-20, probably not good enough to make the tournament. It's nice to win the series, but will still be very hard to achieve preseason goals
35-20 having won EVERY conference weekend, would give us a shot. Not to mention we'd be a 1 seed in the conference tourney and may not need the at large.

But 3-1 every weekend the rest of the way ain't happening..... so there's that.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

WaveProf wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:46 pmIf we go 3-1, a very tall task, the rest of the way we would finish 35-20, probably not good enough to make the tournament. It's nice to win the series, but will still be very hard to achieve preseason goals
35-20 having won EVERY conference weekend, would give us a shot. Not to mention we'd be a 1 seed in the conference tourney and may not need the at large.

But 3-1 every weekend the rest of the way ain't happening..... so there's that.
We might be on the bubble, but I think it would be hard to get the rpi where we need it to be to really be an at large. Also I'm accounting for the extra spots that will likely be given to sec and acc teams this year just because they play in those leagues and there weren't many crossover series this year.

But yeah, that ain't happening. I dont think ECU, a very good squad, will pull that off so it's hard to think we have much chance at it
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

My big fear is that we go 7-1 vs Memphis, 0-4 vs ECU, 10-10 vs everyone else. 17-15 AAC record puts at 2nd or 3rd place in the conference and that’s enough to bring TJ back.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

visualmagic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 pm My big fear is that we go 7-1 vs Memphis, 0-4 vs ECU, 10-10 vs everyone else. 17-15 AAC record puts at 2nd or 3rd place in the conference and that’s enough to bring TJ back.
Yeah, probably need to resign ourselves to this. Either that or "didn't have our ace for x amount of time" argument
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

gerryb323 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:01 pm
visualmagic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:08 pm My big fear is that we go 7-1 vs Memphis, 0-4 vs ECU, 10-10 vs everyone else. 17-15 AAC record puts at 2nd or 3rd place in the conference and that’s enough to bring TJ back.
Yeah, probably need to resign ourselves to this. Either that or "didn't have our ace for x amount of time" argument
And don’t forget about how young we are!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

visualmagic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:42 pm
Y'all seem to think our AD is that guy currently at Tulsa. There has been none of this behavior since the current administration arrived.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

He will be back. There is no way TD let’s him go.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

PeteRasche wrote:
Y'all seem to think our AD is that guy currently at Tulsa. There has been none of this behavior since the current administration arrived.
There Hasn’t really been any opportunity. Dunleavy went 4-27(0-18) the year that he was fired. Not comparable to the scenario I laid out.
TJ began with couple of lousy seasons. 27-31 and then 25-33, you’d think the seat would be warm after that. In year 3 he went 32-26. We finished 3rd in the AAC at 12-11. Not bad on the surface but we were 12-18 vs top 100 opponents. He was brought back anyway. If we finish top 3 in the conference, I’d say we’d be in a similar situation to 2019.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:26 pm
visualmagic wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:42 pm
j
[Lisa Stockton has entered the chat]
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
NJwave
Regent's Circle

Post by NJwave »

What is TJ’s current contract situation? Is there a buyout? As much as I like baseball, given the revenue it brings in I think it would be hard to fathom him being let go if we had to buy him out.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

NJwave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am What is TJ’s current contract situation? Is there a buyout? As much as I like baseball, given the revenue it brings in I think it would be hard to fathom him being let go if we had to buy him out.
I asked this earlier in the season but I don't think we really know. I don't think there's been an announced extension but that doesn't mean one wasn't awarded at some point. I agree if we have to pay any kind of buyout it's unlikely we make a move. If there is a buyout to pay that would fall squarely on TDs shoulders for awarding a bad contract
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

I fail to see the logic behind an argument that "I don't want us to win; That would leave us stuck with a losing coach."
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Roller wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am I fail to see the logic behind an argument that "I don't want us to win; That would leave us stuck with a losing coach."
What are your thoughts on tanking in pro sports? This isn't analogous for a number of reasons, but just curious because there are clear cases of pro sports teams losing on purpose to plan for a better future
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Roller wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:03 am I fail to see the logic behind an argument that "I don't want us to win; That would leave us stuck with a losing coach."
If you consider missing the Regionals a “win” then we have different definitions for winning. I don’t want to keep the coach that can win against Memphis but can’t beat top 50 opponents.
We are 25-54 against top 50 teams since TJ took over. If you like that, have fun. There’s only 1 opponent left on the schedule that’s currently top 50.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:11 am
NJwave wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:44 am What is TJ’s current contract situation? Is there a buyout? As much as I like baseball, given the revenue it brings in I think it would be hard to fathom him being let go if we had to buy him out.
I asked this earlier in the season but I don't think we really know. I don't think there's been an announced extension but that doesn't mean one wasn't awarded at some point. I agree if we have to pay any kind of buyout it's unlikely we make a move. If there is a buyout to pay that would fall squarely on TDs shoulders for awarding a bad contract
There’s Not been an announced extension but unless his original contract was 6 years like Dunleavy’s , there had to be an extension of some kind. Let’s just hope that extension was prior to the 15-2 start last season. If we can’t get out of the Jewett contract after this season that will be another big mark against TD.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

If he's retained it's because he turned things around or Dannen thinks he will next year or just likes him. Money will not be an obstacle. I bet he did get a "gesture" extension.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
randymc
President's Circle

Post by randymc »

yesterday's win vs. Memphis was the first clean win of the year with no base running miscues, errors in the field, pickoffs of our runners, etc. Pitching, defense, hitting did what had to be done -- albeit against a weak opponent; next two weeks should tell the tale about whether a turnaround second half of season is possible. Odds are almost certain that a conference tourney championship will be needed to get an NCAA tournament bid unless Tulane ends the year so strong that the Wave finishes first in AAC regular season, and beats ECU at least three of 4 on the road. Here's hoping Minder and Olthoff return to form and health soon to help out.
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

long green wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:59 am If he's retained it's because he turned things around or Dannen thinks he will next year or just likes him. Money will not be an obstacle. I bet he did get a "gesture" extension.
:laugh:
Johnny4
Navigator Level

Post by Johnny4 »

I remember a friend of friend that was a huge Tennessee fan rooting against them in football because he wanted Fulmer out. A year after a 10 win season and SEC East championship, Fulmer was fired after starting 3-6. They hadn't won a national title in 10 years, so clearly he needed to go... 12 years later and Tennessee hasn't won a division title or had a 10 wins in a year since Fulmer's penultimate season. Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for!
visualmagic
President's Circle

Post by visualmagic »

Johnny4 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:03 am
I remember a friend of friend that was a huge Tennessee fan rooting against them in football because he wanted Fulmer out. A year after a 10 win season and SEC East championship, Fulmer was fired after starting 3-6. They hadn't won a national title in 10 years, so clearly he needed to go... 12 years later and Tennessee hasn't won a division title or had a 10 wins in a year since Fulmer's penultimate season. Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for!
We’ve not even been to a Regional under Jewett. Not an apt comparison
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Glad we won but changes nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:18 am
What are your thoughts on tanking in pro sports? This isn't analogous for a number of reasons, but just curious because there are clear cases of pro sports teams losing on purpose to plan for a better future
You mean like in Major League"? I really have no opinion about Professional sports. But losing on purpose? That seems to be pretty unprofessional to me. (But then, my main reason for not caring for Pro sports is basically a lack of professionalism.)
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

visualmagic wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:24 am
If you consider missing the Regionals a “win” then we have different definitions for winning. I don’t want to keep the coach that can win against Memphis but can’t beat top 50 opponents.
We are 25-54 against top 50 teams since TJ took over. If you like that, have fun. There’s only 1 opponent left on the schedule that’s currently top 50.
You're misconstruing the argument. People are (essentially) saying, "I hope we do not make a regional because if we do, our coach will be kept on." I see that logically as the antithesis of wanting to win. I would love it if we won every game we play from here on out and win the National
Championship. I'm unwilling to stipulate that a single person can make the difference one way or the other.