Spring Football

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Spring Football

Post by waverider »

Has a schedule been announced for when Tulane will start spring practices? I saw Nicholls is having their first scrimmage of the spring today but I would think the FCS schedule is a little different this year after not playing last season.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Spring Football

Post by OGSB »

I think Nicholls is playing their season in the spring, not just practicing.
Victory is never permanent
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

OGSB wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 am I think Nicholls is playing their season in the spring, not just practicing.
You are correct.
We deserve so much better
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

OGSB wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 am I think Nicholls is playing their season in the spring, not just practicing.
That’s right. I forgot they moved to a spring schedule for football. Hard to get used to that, but on the bright side, there will be football to watch*, even if FCS level.

*I am assuming/hoping at the very least ESPN+ will have games with a couple weekend matchups between the ranked teams on their major networks.
Tulane Greenbackers

OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

It’ll be like watching the USFL.
Victory is never permanent
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Cue the "would you rather watch FCS football or NCAA baseball?" debate...
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:52 pm Cue the "would you rather watch FCS football or NCAA baseball?" debate...
And what are you eating while doing it?
Tulane Greenbackers

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:52 pm Cue the "would you rather watch FCS football or NCAA baseball?" debate...
Depends on the uniforms....
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

Would it be better to have an early Spring Practice or late? Early might beat another shutdown late would let more players coming back from injury to play.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

G-wave wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:56 pm Would it be better to have an early Spring Practice or late? Early might beat another shutdown late would let more players coming back from injury to play.
My vote would be for early. Get as many practices in while you still can. Having players back from injury would be great but no guarantee you will be able to have practices later on. Bird in the hand principle.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:15 pm
G-wave wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:56 pm Would it be better to have an early Spring Practice or late? Early might beat another shutdown late would let more players coming back from injury to play.
My vote would be for early. Get as many practices in while you still can. Having players back from injury would be great but no guarantee you will be able to have practices later on. Bird in the hand principle.
That's assuming our players are all clear now. Since season ended they've had holiday exposures and then probably let their guards down quite a bit without having to worry about missing games. For all we know, half the team could be infected or at least exposed (especially with all the recent campus news) as we speak.

If everyone (or nearly everyone) is good, then I'd agree, but the public wouldn't know unless someone did an interview and said it.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

I think later would be better. The players went through a lot to get the season in. They need time to decompress.Plus as mentioned they have likely let their guard down and have several that got infected. It would allow time to recover before practice begins.
Last edited by wavedom on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSx
Emerald Circle

Post by GSx »

I'd say later; get out of the cold weather and 2020 really was a long season for the players.
Marathon Wave
Regent's Circle

Post by Marathon Wave »

On NOLA.com testerday:

Spring dates determined
Fritz said spring ball would begin March 2 and run through April 3, with weekly practices on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturdays. Because of the continued coronavirus restrictions, the final workout likely will not be open to the public as would a normal spring game.

Offensive tackle Joey Claybrook will miss all drills after having surgery on a knee injury he suffered in the Potato Bowl. Fritz said Claybrook will be out six weeks and would be 100% healthy by the start of preseason practice.

Another player not to look for in spring drills will be running back Corey Dauphine, who technically is eligible for an unprecedented seventh year of college football after tearing an Achilles tendon last summer. Fritz said he was 99% certain Dauphine’s playing days were over.
MOVING ON UP!
The only thing even in this world is the number of hours in a day.
The difference between winning or losing is what you do with those hours.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Currently watching Tulane WBB on one TV and McNeese football game on another!
Tulane Greenbackers

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Marathon Wave wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:14 pm On NOLA.com testerday:

Offensive tackle Joey Claybrook will miss all drills after having surgery on a knee injury he suffered in the Potato Bowl. Fritz said Claybrook will be out six weeks and would be 100% healthy by the start of preseason practice.
weeks not months... means it must be a meniscus clean up and not an ACL tear.. that is great news!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
G-wave
Navigator Level

Post by G-wave »

# practices under our belts and no real news yet on which players are looking good is it too early ?
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

No one can go to the practices. Been that way since Fritz got here.
Last edited by wavedom on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

Listening to WF’s interviews, the transfer from Colorado had a procedure done before spring and will be limited. He has good things to say about Carroll, Brumfield, Booker, Pratt, Ibieta, and A. Anderson. Spears is limited, but should be full go by August.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

tjtlja wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 pmSpears is limited, but should be full go by August.
Modern medicine is amazing. 15-20 years ago he'd probably still have it immobilized... and he's already in limited practice? Wow. Sure would be great to have him full speed, hopefully he doesn't have any mental blocks as many guys do after that.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm
tjtlja wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 pmSpears is limited, but should be full go by August.
Modern medicine is amazing. 15-20 years ago he'd probably still have it immobilized... and he's already in limited practice? Wow. Sure would be great to have him full speed, hopefully he doesn't have any mental blocks as many guys do after that.
The HS coach of his that I know said he’s the hardest working kid he’s ever coached.
Tulane Greenbackers

wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:24 pm
He's not practicing. What was said is that he will be ready for fall camp.
tjtlja
Regent's Circle

Post by tjtlja »

He is doing some limited stuff as I said. No, he is not practicing, but is doing some conditioning.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

Your OP obviously wasn't clear per PR's response. He's ahead in his rehab which indicates he'll be a full go by fall camp.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Semantics of his current status aside, the simple fact he's doing stuff and expects to be ready for camp is great.