Near-future opponent Navy

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
waverider
Cornerstone

Near-future opponent Navy

Post by waverider »

Navy currently trails BYU 14-0 in the 1st qtr. So far, Navy can’t move the ball and can’t stop the run or deep pass.
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
long green
Cornerstone

Re: Near-future opponent Navy

Post by long green »

24-0, now. Not their night, it seems. BYU plods under this coach but they are good up front, usually.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Rotorooter
President's Circle

Post by Rotorooter »

No superstud QB like last year. He did a lot for them.
Plan your work, work your plan.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Yeah Navy misses Malcolm Perry in a big way. Byu is having their way on the ground too. That bodes well for our matchup, I hope.
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Malcolm Perry didn't play in their front seven or OL.

The announcers have mentioned that they haven't been hitting in practice during fall camp. It shows.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

48-0 with 2 minutes left in the 3rd. Navy trying a different QB. It’s hard to keep up with Navy players since they sign 30+ a year, but it would appear they lost a lot. They just can’t do anything right tonight.
Tulane Greenbackers

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Losing 55-3 is not a good look for our conference when some people had Navy as a dark horse to win the league (though a VERY dark horse).

Interesting thoughts on the game here... some about how the "weirdness" of this whole scene might have played into the result, but mostly just about the weirdness of college football overall now. It does mention how Navy had not allowed tackling so hadn't hit anyone since their bowl game:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb ... li=BBnb7Kz
washwave
Breaker Level

Post by washwave »

This is not the best scenario for us. Navy didn't tackle during their pre season camp and got whipped all around. They are always a disciplined team and you can be sure that they will work hard over the next two weeks and come out with a mission when they face us.
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I think departure of Malcolm Perry matters more than the lack of tackling practice. Navy looked so bad that I don't think our folks will be lulled into complacency because they won't know what to make of it. However unlike Army, if Tulane wins toss, I expect Fritz will defer to second half. Put the pressure immediately on the new QB.

Regardless it now appears that at least for first three games, Tulane will be favored. No sneaking up on anyone. Let's see how Wave performs when "professional betting" expectations are with them. As others have noted, when in this position in recent past, Tulane has not exactly overwhelmed everyone. This is a good year to start doing it.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

washwave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:22 am This is not the best scenario for us. Navy didn't tackle during their pre season camp and got whipped all around. They are always a disciplined team and you can be sure that they will work hard over the next two weeks and come out with a mission when they face us.
Especially with a bye next week you can bet they will be tackling in practice this week.
Tulane Greenbackers

long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

How much hitting was BYU doing? Every team in America trying to start a season is doing considerably less hitting than they would otherwise.

Two weeks of Junction City will not turn Navy 2020 into Navy 2019.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Another example (USA v USM was the other game) of me not knowing whether BYU's lines (both OL and DL) were that much better or Navy's that poor.
I love how BYU played the option. You are going to be tackled whether you have the ball or not.
And shockingly Navy had way more penalties than BYU - like 6 to 1. I cannot ever remembering that happening before.
Complete utter dominance.
Let's see how our DL compares in 11 days.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

1401973 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:57 am Another example (USA v USM was the other game) of me not knowing whether BYU's lines (both OL and DL) were that much better or Navy's that poor.
I love how BYU played the option. You are going to be tackled whether you have the ball or not.
And shockingly Navy had way more penalties than BYU - like 6 to 1. I cannot ever remembering that happening before.
Complete utter dominance.
Let's see how our DL compares in 11 days.
How the option should be defended!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:58 am How much hitting was BYU doing? Every team in America trying to start a season is doing considerably less hitting than they would otherwise.

Excuse me. A week and a half at the absolute maximum.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

long green wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:58 am How much hitting was BYU doing? Every team in America trying to start a season is doing considerably less hitting than they would otherwise.

Malcolm Perry isn’t walking through their door.
Tulane Greenbackers

CT Wave
Coach Level

Post by CT Wave »

washwave wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:22 am This is not the best scenario for us. Navy didn't tackle during their pre season camp and got whipped all around. They are always a disciplined team and you can be sure that they will work hard over the next two weeks and come out with a mission when they face us.
Can someone please explain the rationale for this to me? Their coaches should have confidence that the players are not infected. So why change practice habits from previous years?
"You're not here on scholarship to lose. I didn't recruit you to lose. Losing is abnormal; losing is unusual; losing is unacceptable. That's not what we're here for."
Bob Knight
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

I get it, they sucked at tackling.

I had half of an eye on the game, so what stopped them from making any first downs or having any offense the rest of the time until the final minutes of the game?

Tackling was a chunk of it, but there was so much else that was also terrible.
DrHullabaloo
Navigator Level

Post by DrHullabaloo »

+1
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am I think departure of Malcolm Perry matters more than the lack of tackling practice. Navy looked so bad that I don't think our folks will be lulled into complacency because they won't know what to make of it. However unlike Army, if Tulane wins toss, I expect Fritz will defer to second half. Put the pressure immediately on the new QB.

Regardless it now appears that at least for first three games, Tulane will be favored. No sneaking up on anyone. Let's see how Wave performs when "professional betting" expectations are with them. As others have noted, when in this position in recent past, Tulane has not exactly overwhelmed everyone. This is a good year to start doing it.
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

DrHullabaloo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:18 pm +1
Baywave1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am I think departure of Malcolm Perry matters more than the lack of tackling practice. Navy looked so bad that I don't think our folks will be lulled into complacency because they won't know what to make of it. However unlike Army, if Tulane wins toss, I expect Fritz will defer to second half. Put the pressure immediately on the new QB.

Perry was not just a weapon with the ball but he made great decisions with the ball. I watched last night and the QB seemed make the wrong decisions in the option game way too often. Maybe he was deciding from what he saw pre-snap and BYU was baiting him into it. In any case Perry knew when to give, keep, or pitch.
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

DrHullabaloo wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:16 pm I get it, they sucked at tackling.

I had half of an eye on the game, so what stopped them from making any first downs or having any offense the rest of the time until the final minutes of the game?

Tackling was a chunk of it, but there was so much else that was also terrible.
Minimal contact in practice also means no blocking drills. They got manhandled up front on both sides of the ball.
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.
Coach Level

Post by 1401973 »

Navy? I ain't counting that one till it's over.
I've seen many a crummy Navy team beat Tulane. I've seen average Navy teams beat us and good Navy teams crush us.
I've consistently seen some of the worst officiating in Navy games.
I've heard all about our athleticism, then last year watch a dive play work 5 times for huge gainers in the first half - like we didn't know it was coming.
I remember the '17 and '18 games when the worst QB I've ever seen a) on TV and then b) live, a) beat us and b) lose to us on a two point conversion.
Zach Abey is 1-1 against TU - that's damning.
Trust me, they will come out with their hair on fire on the 19th.
I will believe Navy's terrible when we beat them like BYU just did.
Otherwise it's all hot air.