Admissions bribery scandal

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Admissions bribery scandal

Post by OGSB »

FBI accuses wealthy parents, including celebrities, in college-entrance bribery scheme
Authorities said the crimes date back to 2011, and the defendants used “bribery and other forms of fraud to facilitate their children’s admission” to numerous college and universities, including Georgetown, Yale University, Stanford University, the University of Texas, the University of Southern California, and the University of California Los Angeles, among others.
Victory is never permanent
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Re: Admissions bribery scandal

Post by GretnaGrn »

Old news is old. This has gone on for centuries everywhere.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

Texas Men's Tennis Coach involved -

http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-ne ... fox7austin
TU77CAL82
Coach Level

Post by TU77CAL82 »

Stanfurd sailing coach pleading guilty today for accepting bribes.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda sad we aren't caught up in this. What? We aren't good enough for you?!
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

wow Aunty Becky dropped $500k to get her kids into USC...one must've had the transcript of a rock and the other an oven mitt
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

Is this investigation linked to the FBI wiretap that exposed Will Wade?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:Is this investigation linked to the FBI wiretap that exposed Will Wade?
No, this is parents bribing coaches/administrators to flag their child as a potential athlete to gain favorable admission status.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

It's mostly not in the major sports due to lesser visibility of soccer/tennis/gymnastics/etc. Can make up a recruit for those sports. Not so much for football
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

gerryb323 wrote:
Roller wrote:Is this investigation linked to the FBI wiretap that exposed Will Wade?
No, this is parents bribing coaches/administrators to flag their child as a potential athlete to gain favorable admission status.
But why was the FBI wiretapping? That's what's been puzzling me. Could it be that this investigation could have been the basis for wiretapping--perhaps minor sports or admissions--and Wade wandered across the screen?
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Roller wrote:
gerryb323 wrote:
But why was the FBI wiretapping? That's what's been puzzling me. Could it be that this investigation could have been the basis for wiretapping--perhaps minor sports or admissions--and Wade wandered across the screen?
The wiretapping is for the shoe companies and their attempts to gain favor with the families and the programs by bribing the players on behalf of or with the encouragement of the schools.
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

This is good -- the kid had no idea.

TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

People are dumber than a box of hammers. Make up a persona? Sure. No one will check on the Google, right? :lol:

It’s like a couple of years ago a good friend got taken in by some charlatan claiming to be a former Navy SEAL. Now I was no SEAL but I am acquainted with the profession. Took me about 5 minutes of pointed questions to sniff the guy out.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium
Baywave1
Emerald Circle

Post by Baywave1 »

I once went to an "authentic New Orleans" restaurant in another state. I was dubious about the food because the menu had too much cuisine fusion. So during the owner meet and greet at our table, after she told me she grew up in New Orleans, I asked her, "Where did you go to high school?" It worked and the fraud was exposed.

The answer was somewhere west of the Rockies. No the food was not very good.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote:Not gonna lie, I'm kinda sad we aren't caught up in this. What? We aren't good enough for you?!
well, we do have a baseball player on the roster who's the son of a huge donor... (I'm kidding.. he can actually play)

which makes me feel incredibly old because I remember him running around homecoming tailgates at the age of 4
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote:wow Aunty Becky dropped $500k to get her kids into USC...one must've had the transcript of a rock and the other an oven mitt
this guy just said for you to go fornicate yourself

YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Baywave1 wrote:"Where did you go to high school?"
Yes, that would be the killer app for New Orleans. Although a bunch of us out of towner Tulanians have probably absorbed enough to fake it for a couple of rounds of questions. :lol: The biggest giveaway would be the shocked look on an imposter’s face wondering why the heck you would ask!
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Victory is never permanent
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Lead story on NBC Nightly News.
Roller
Cornerstone

Post by Roller »

TUPF wrote:People are dumber than a box of hammers. Make up a persona? Sure. No one will check on the Google, right? :lol:

It’s like a couple of years ago a good friend got taken in by some charlatan claiming to be a former Navy SEAL. Now I was no SEAL but I am acquainted with the profession. Took me about 5 minutes of pointed questions to sniff the guy out.
Many years ago, we had a guy working for the Corps of Engineers who was on the "fast track to stardom." In his 8 years with the Corps, he'd managed several promotions and was in good stead to get the next promotion that came up. What people used to call the "fair-haired boy."

When eh was first hired, the Personnel Office (now called "HR" of course) noticed that his application was missing the copies of his diplomas (BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Mayaguez, MS in Civil Engineering from Cornell University, and Professional Engineering Registration with the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico). He promised he'd get it to them right away. Like often happens, the HR clerk mad a note that said the PE certificat was need and would be furnished soon. The note was filed away in HR and forgotten.

Fast forward a few years, and he borrowed $400 from a co-worker, on the premise that he was broke and his wife had been admitted to a hospital in Miami, so he needed money for airfare. The co-worker waited a decent interval, and began asking where his money was. The guy kept saying that he didn't have it on him, but would get it to him as soon as he could. Eventually, the co-worker went to the Office of Counsel and to HR to ask if they had some way to assist him in retrieving his money; which they accomplished by calling in the deadbeat and threatening action against him. In reviewing the file, an HR person noticed the note and realized that the Professional Engineering certificate had never been provided. He called and asked about it and it was promised to him right away. After several rounds of "Oh yea, I forgot again," the HR clerk decided that the quickest course was to call the "Colegio" (the Puerto Rican authority for Engineer registration) for a copy. The reported that they had never heard of the guy.

Now concerned, the HR guy called the Engineering School at Cornell, who likewise had no record. Finally, at the University of Mayaguez, he found a record--the guy had been expelled in his Sophomore year for cheating. The Corps in its own stupid, inimitable way, did not want to admit that they had been so thoroughly duped, so they offered the guy an opportunity to resign, in lieu of firing him.

I saw his resignation letter, addressed to the District Engineer. It basically said, "I have decided to leave the Corps of Engineers and pursue other opportunities back in my home of Puerto Rico, because I have received an offer I cannot in good conscience turn down." He signed the letter <name redacted>, PE. The PE stands for "Professional Engineer."

Two years later, I got a phone call from one of my EPA contacts in Region II, New York. He said they had a guy applying for a job who listed on his resume that he had worked for the Corps of Engineers in Jacksonville, and he looked like a great candidate. He wanted to know if I had had any working relationship with the guy. Same guy. My advice, was "before you do anything else, check his credentials with the Colegio, Cornell, and U. Mayaguez."

Moral of the story is that people get away with scam personas all the time. Caveat Emptor
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

TUPF wrote:
Baywave1 wrote:"Where did you go to high school?"
Yes, that would be the killer app for New Orleans. Although a bunch of us out of towner Tulanians have probably absorbed enough to fake it for a couple of rounds of questions. :lol: The biggest giveaway would be the shocked look on an imposter’s face wondering why the heck you would ask!

I use a similar question when barbs are thrown at me for my Tulane shirt at Disney world by people who look like walking Nexium ads. After their snide remark I simply ask them "and what year did you graduate from LSU?" and they shut up rather quickly.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

People paying their way into college is now a scandal? Isn't that a time-honored tradition?

GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Roller wrote:
TUPF wrote:People are dumber than a box of hammers. Make up a persona? Sure. No one will check on the Google, right? :lol:

Many years ago, we had a guy working for the Corps of Engineers who was on the "fast track to stardom." In his 8 years with the Corps, he'd managed several promotions and was in good stead to get the next promotion that came up. What people used to call the "fair-haired boy."

When eh was first hired, the Personnel Office (now called "HR" of course) noticed that his application was missing the copies of his diplomas (BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Mayaguez, MS in Civil Engineering from Cornell University, and Professional Engineering Registration with the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico). He promised he'd get it to them right away. Like often happens, the HR clerk mad a note that said the PE certificat was need and would be furnished soon. The note was filed away in HR and forgotten.

Fast forward a few years, and he borrowed $400 from a co-worker, on the premise that he was broke and his wife had been admitted to a hospital in Miami, so he needed money for airfare. The co-worker waited a decent interval, and began asking where his money was. The guy kept saying that he didn't have it on him, but would get it to him as soon as he could. Eventually, the co-worker went to the Office of Counsel and to HR to ask if they had some way to assist him in retrieving his money; which they accomplished by calling in the deadbeat and threatening action against him. In reviewing the file, an HR person noticed the note and realized that the Professional Engineering certificate had never been provided. He called and asked about it and it was promised to him right away. After several rounds of "Oh yea, I forgot again," the HR clerk decided that the quickest course was to call the "Colegio" (the Puerto Rican authority for Engineer registration) for a copy. The reported that they had never heard of the guy.

Now concerned, the HR guy called the Engineering School at Cornell, who likewise had no record. Finally, at the University of Mayaguez, he found a record--the guy had been expelled in his Sophomore year for cheating. The Corps in its own stupid, inimitable way, did not want to admit that they had been so thoroughly duped, so they offered the guy an opportunity to resign, in lieu of firing him.

I saw his resignation letter, addressed to the District Engineer. It basically said, "I have decided to leave the Corps of Engineers and pursue other opportunities back in my home of Puerto Rico, because I have received an offer I cannot in good conscience turn down." He signed the letter <name redacted>, PE. The PE stands for "Professional Engineer."

Two years later, I got a phone call from one of my EPA contacts in Region II, New York. He said they had a guy applying for a job who listed on his resume that he had worked for the Corps of Engineers in Jacksonville, and he looked like a great candidate. He wanted to know if I had had any working relationship with the guy. Same guy. My advice, was "before you do anything else, check his credentials with the Colegio, Cornell, and U. Mayaguez."

Moral of the story is that people get away with scam personas all the time. Caveat Emptor
This happens in academia, too. There's several stories of folks having never finished their dissertations, or other such chicanery, sometimes accidentally discovered decades down the road.
Yankeewave
Emerald Circle

Post by Yankeewave »

didn't the most senior admiral in the navy kill himself about 20 years over a "V" device on his combat ribbons that wasn't supposed to be there? never quite figured out if it was an accident or on purpose.
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

Yankeewave wrote:didn't the most senior admiral in the navy kill himself about 20 years over a "V" device on his combat ribbons that wasn't supposed to be there? never quite figured out if it was an accident or on purpose.
Suicide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Michael_Boorda