Carnival 2017

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Carnival 2017

Post by WaveProf »

Happy Carnival everyone! It's here!

That said, so is sleet and wind. Joan d'Arc postponed until tomorrow..... http://www.nola.com/mardigras/index.ssf ... ncart_2box
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Carnival 2017

Post by PeteRasche »

The weather serves you right for rubbing in the fact you have Carnival and we don't. :razz:
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:The weather serves you right for rubbing in the fact you have Carnival and we don't. :razz:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
BC Wave
Emerald Circle

Post by BC Wave »

Go eat some chili! :)
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

seven and a half weeks until Mardi Gras, it's not going to be this cold. Probably.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Dirty Coast can sometimes annoy me with hipsterism, but they hit the nail on the head with this one

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

So the King Cake Burger made a splash in 2014 (and I found it surprisingly tasty.....though when I ventured back for a second in 2016 I found it a big let down). http://yogwf.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=41 ... er#p533271

For today only the brand new Central City BBQ (which is getting massive press, and may soon be NOLA's answer to Franklin BBQ in Austin, or at least that's their aim) is offering King Cake BBQ Sandwiches. Your choice of pulled pork or pulled brisket on a King Cake bun.

Personally, I don't believe BBQ should ever go on a sandwich :angel: , so I'll pass on a King Cake sandwich. But seemed worthy of passing on

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

WaveProf wrote:Personally, I don't believe BBQ should ever go on a sandwich :angel: , so I'll pass on a King Cake sandwich. But seemed worthy of passing on
not sure why you'd ever feel that way... pulled pork with the right sauce with cole slaw on top of it makes a fine sandwich

vinegar sauces don't translate well onto buns, so if you are looking for a low country flavor, then you are right about skipping the bun, but the thicker sauces and mustard sauces work well on a bun

heck, even a pulled pork topped burger on a bun works really well and now I'm making myself hungry
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

JohnnyMac--that's the North Carolinian in you speaking :) :jerry:

While I grew up in Virginia (a bbq on a bun culture, to the degree that virginia is a bbq culture at all), I cut my BBQ chops in South Carolina. I believe in whole hog. Pulled (or chopped) pork. No distractions.

I'll be honest and admit that BBQ on a bun tastes great. The problem is the bread is filler (much like sides). Gets in the way of more pulled pork, and gets in the way of tasting the pork and sauce straight up. When I have pulled pork I want pulled pork and sauce, maybe a bit of hash on the side with a pickle or two, eat my plate and start over. Maybe, maybe a hush puppy or two. But really anything that gets in the way of more plates of pulled pork is filler. :coolshades: Don't even get me started on veggies and mac and cheese and such nonsense when served at a BBQ joint :angel:

I've been a reluctant convert to GOOD examples of Memphis BBQ (dry rub ribs at Central BBQ & Germantown Commissary especially). I'm intrigued by Kansas City burnt ends (though I've never been there to have them in person). I'm always extremely skeptical of Texas BBQ, but Franklin BBQ in Austin dropped me to my knees, so I'm open to trying. But in the end, my BBQ bias (and anyone who has BBQ love has BBQ bias) is still rural, low-country South Carolina......don't get between me and my pulled pork....nor stick a bun between me and the pork either.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Oh, good God.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LG---that might be your best post so far this year
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Back to Carnival discussion, it sounds like the middle weekend of Mardi Gras won't be the empty, quiet, family friendly streets people have gotten used to.

1) NOLA will be hosting 15000 hardware and lumber salesmen for a convention that Wed through Saturday, the largest single convention NOLA has ever hosted during Mardi Gras
2) The NBA All-Star Game will be hosted in NOLA the Monday after that weekend.

I bet it'll still be less crowded than the final weekend, but I do think the difference this year will be noticeable.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

(formerly Oklahoma) Joe's has awesome KC BBQ, specifically burnt ends. Plus, the origami location is an old convenience store in a sketchy neighborhood, so it's got to be good.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

We were planning on bringing the the kids down for the first weekend (which apparently has now turned into "middle" weekend, when did that earlier cr*p start counting?), since my kids get a 4 day weekend around President's Day, but a large project I'm on got pushed and I now have can't-miss meetings that week, so we've canceled. Maybe that's good.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote: (which apparently has now turned into "middle" weekend, when did that earlier cr*p start counting?), d.
1) I'd say about 50% of people still say first weekend, so it hasn't completely changed

2) I think it happened post-K when Krewe du Vieux got much bigger than it had been before, and got more popular than most of the first/middle weekend parades
Last edited by WaveProf on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:Back to Carnival discussion, it sounds like the middle weekend of Mardi Gras won't be the empty, quiet, family friendly streets people have gotten used to.

1) NOLA will be hosting 15000 hardware and lumber salesmen for a convention that Wed through Saturday, the largest single convention NOLA has ever hosted during Mardi Gras
2) The NBA All-Star Game will be hosted in NOLA the Monday after that weekend.

I bet it'll still be less crowded than the final weekend, but I do think the difference this year will be noticeable.
NBA All-Star Game is on Sunday night, slam dunk contest Saturday night, rookie game (or whatever they call it now) Friday night.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Ml---- yikes :shock: :shock:
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

WaveProf wrote:Ml---- yikes :shock: :shock:
Not to mention the assorted parties...when they announced the game, I didn't realize it would fall during MG. Can't believe they managed to free up the blocks of hotel rooms on such short notice.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PSA: Apparently Central City BBQ is now doing the BBQ King Cake sandwiches every sunday till Mardi Gras.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

TUMB is mixing it up this year, and marching in:
Excalibur on Feb. 17,
Nyx on Feb. 22
Endymion on Feb. 25
Orpheus on Feb. 27.

And I know I've raised my son right. Two different times now he's heard a band playing "When the Saints Go Marching In" and he instantly stops, gets excited, and yells "Tulane music!"
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Women of Mardi Gras From 1896-2017 exhibit at the Louisiana Museum

http://www.mardigras.com/news/2017/02/w ... short_home
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Last weekend the parade had beautiful weather but tonight is looking ugly. They move the first prayed up a half hour to 530 FYI but who knows how long it'll stay dry. Nicer weather tomorrow though still a bit chilly
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Nicer weather tomorrow though still a bit chilly
Chilly? As of this afternoon the forecast for Saturday down there was mostly sunny and 76.

Strangely, today was day one of what is expected to be 7 straight days of 60+ here, which has never happened in February (6 straight has happened like 4 times in the past century). All the flowers are gonna start blooming and then we'll get a March freeze and kill 'em all...
TUPF
Emerald Circle

Post by TUPF »

I'm with you Pete. Except for 8" of snow in January that melted in a couple of days, it's been yet another non winter in the MidAtlantic.
Fan since 1974 living in Phelps seeing the upper bowl of Tulane Stadium