Fastpitch softball?

Anyone can read this board. However, to post messages, you must register.
Private Joker
Coach Level

Fastpitch softball?

Post by Private Joker »

Do any of you know if Tulane has considered starting a women's fastpitch softball program? I found myself watching the WCWS over the weekend, and thought it looked pretty cool. Of course, these things cost money. Thanks.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Re: Fastpitch softball?

Post by TPSTulane »

Private Joker wrote:Do any of you know if Tulane has considered starting a women's fastpitch softball program? I found myself watching the WCWS over the weekend, and thought it looked pretty cool. Of course, these things cost money. Thanks.
Bowling and sand volleyball won out.............
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

TPS is correct and for the reasons Joker stated...Money... It was determined that softball would be too costly to start from scratch...Building a field to play on is the biggest obstacle that would have cost the most money (aside from scholarships)...
Tulane Greenbackers

"If you want to win you have to have good players." Vince Gibson
Private Joker
Coach Level

Post by Private Joker »

Thanks again, gentlemen.
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

Private Joker wrote:Thanks again, gentlemen.
No problem...looking at some of these girls that play, I could definitely see myself taking in quite a few softball games if we had it on campus... :wink:
Tulane Greenbackers

JDTulane
President's Circle

Post by JDTulane »

Beach Volleyball bodies > softball bodies. Just sayin'.
noladave
Regent's Circle

Post by noladave »

JDTulane wrote:Beach Volleyball bodies > softball bodies. Just sayin'.
speaking of that, has anyone planned the first tailgate?? For volleyball, not football!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Jennie Finch > Logan Tom. Just sayin'. 8)
bigmoneytx

Post by bigmoneytx »

I was hoping that we would bring in Women's soccer and Softball.

I mean, I do not mind the Sand VB :angel: we can keep that

I am just a bigger fan of soccer and softball as sports than bowling so either one of those would have been great. We also used to have a women's soccer program and until we get that back - we lose a generation of former student athletes that have lost a connection with the University. We bring that back and you have people that want to get back involved with Tulane University & Athletics.

This is not a knock on bowling or Sand VB (especially svb and not because of the uniforms - it is legit) but I want Tulane to be on a bigger level in DIV I athletics and Soccer and Softball are more legit in my eyes on the bigger scale. Of course - none of these sports are money makers so in the end I guess it doesnt really matter. Going the route of the fewest bodies needed is what we had to do to get back to a full department. I understand that.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

bigmoneytx wrote:I was hoping that we would bring in Women's soccer and Softball.

I mean, I do not mind the Sand VB :angel: we can keep that

I am just a bigger fan of soccer and softball as sports than bowling so either one of those would have been great. We also used to have a women's soccer program and until we get that back - we lose a generation of former student athletes that have lost a connection with the University. We bring that back and you have people that want to get back involved with Tulane University & Athletics.

This is not a knock on bowling or Sand VB (especially svb and not because of the uniforms - it is legit) but I want Tulane to be on a bigger level in DIV I athletics and Soccer and Softball are more legit in my eyes on the bigger scale. Of course - none of these sports are money makers so in the end I guess it doesnt really matter. Going the route of the fewest bodies needed is what we had to do to get back to a full department. I understand that.
I totally agree. Women's soccer and softball are much more widely played and accepted sports than beach volleyball and bowling, but I also understand the money issue, particularly in the short term. Hopefully, we can get past survival mode on finances in a few years and look at having more than the minimum number of sports, and add both women's soccer and softball.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GretnaGrn wrote:I totally agree. Women's soccer and softball are much more widely played and accepted sports than beach volleyball and bowling, but...
Give SVB a few years. Remember, it's not just new at Tulane, it's brand new in college athletics. Other than possible geographical limitations (weather), I would not be surprised if it has WAY more following in about 5-10 years than even the established sport of indoor VB.
bayouman
Coach Level

Post by bayouman »

Some of you lechers sound like Joe Dean. I refuse to engage in this kind of lewd discourse about the relative merits of female softball and volleyball players, unless the debate is supported by appropriate tangible images, captured photographically, that would allow some form of reasoned assessment of the question.
TPSTulane
Emerald Circle

Post by TPSTulane »

bayouman wrote:Some of you lechers sound like Joe Dean. I refuse to engage in this kind of lewd discourse about the relative merits of female softball and volleyball players, unless the debate is supported by appropriate tangible images, captured photographically, that would allow some form of reasoned assessment of the question.
ImageImageImage
Last edited by TPSTulane on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane School of Business Class of 1981
Loyola MBA Class of 1988
Conference Realignment "is like changing seats on the Titanic."
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

TPS' pic there is from The L Word and their "Back to the Beach" episode.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:I totally agree. Women's soccer and softball are much more widely played and accepted sports than beach volleyball and bowling, but...
Give SVB a few years. Remember, it's not just new at Tulane, it's brand new in college athletics. Other than possible geographical limitations (weather), I would not be surprised if it has WAY more following in about 5-10 years than even the established sport of indoor VB.
My only point is that, right now, women's soccer and softball are much bigger college sports (relatively speaking, of course; neither is revenue generating). SVB may grow in the future or it may not, but the decision to add it was purely a financial one (and, again, one that I understand). Personally, I would be thrilled to see Tulane field teams in every NCAA sport, but I don't think that's realistic any time in the near future....
MartinOKC
President's Circle

Post by MartinOKC »

Another obstacle to women's fast-pitch softball was the lack of suitable diamonds in NOLA. Nowhere nearby to practice or play the games. (Remember the time expended getting to and from Zephyr Field in 2006 and 2007?)

The following comes from the NCAA web site and lists the women's sports that the NCAA recognizes, the number of schools participating, and the four-year APR average for each sport. (Sorry if the formatting is fouled up.) We could be top 25 in Fencing on Day One! :!:

SPORT # Teams Four-Year APR Average
Basketball 342 968
Bowling 32 952
Crew 86 985
Cross Country 341 977
Fencing 22 975
Field Hockey 79 988
Golf 253 983
Gymnastics 62 988
Ice Hockey 35 986
Lacrosse 90 986
Skiing 13 985
Soccer 321 978
Softball 288 975
Swimming 197 983
Tennis 321 979
Track (Indoor) 311 970
Track (Outdoor) 318 972
Volleyball 327 978
Water Polo 33 976
Let's play two.
greenwavedurb
Navigator Level

Post by greenwavedurb »

PeteRasche wrote:
Jennie Finch > Logan Tom. Just sayin'. 8)

I TOTALLY AGREE :wink:
plus its close to baseball!
A bad day in the ballpark is better than any other day!!
waverider
Cornerstone

Post by waverider »

bayouman wrote:Some of you lechers sound like Joe Dean. I refuse to engage in this kind of lewd discourse about the relative merits of female softball and volleyball players, unless the debate is supported by appropriate tangible images, captured photographically, that would allow some form of reasoned assessment of the question.
Well, TPS has provided the evidence and I would have to agree that Beach V-Ball gets the nod, but I already knew that...I was commenting on the sport for which the thread is named which also involves some sights...The difference in the two is that there are rarely 200+ pound girls on the beach V-ball sand...
Tulane Greenbackers

Sophandros
Regent's Circle

Post by Sophandros »

Thank you, TPS. I was just about to post, "This thread is useless without pics".
Sports Talk radio and most sports message boards are the killing fields of intellectual discourse.