TV jibber jabber

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

TV jibber jabber

Post by Johnny Mac »

I'm bored... so here goes..

lots of binging (or is it bingeing?) lately... old stuff and new

"Barry" (HBO).. been out for a few years, won some Emmys... really funny. I'm almost done with season 2... they are rolling out a season 3 this year after a hiatus. I watched the pilot when it came out in 2018 and never followed up.. so glad I dove back in.

"Mayor of Kingstown" (Paramount +)... lots of hype before it started its run. I like it. Critics hate it for whatever reason.. some just hate Jeremy Renner. I think it's well done, myself. Rumored to be renewed for a season 2. Season 1 finale is next week... Paramount + is doing the 1 episode a week thing. I binged the first 6 or 7 episodes before I realized this.

"Book of Boba Fett" (Disney +)... after a bit of reflecting, episode 1 really underwhelmed. If you think otherwise, read this article which opened my eyes to the failings of the first chapter https://www.sfgate.com/culture-columns/ ... 738851.php

discuss the above... add yours
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Re: TV jibber jabber

Post by wavedom »

Very much enjoying Mayor of Kingstown.
We deserve so much better
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Really liked Barry. Haven't gotten around to the other two. In the middle of finally catching up on Ted Lasso. I've enjoyed it as a quick watch comedy, but I wouldn't say it was earthshattering.

Binged all of Luther over the last couple weeks. More intense than your typical procedural. Kinda bummed it's apparently done.
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

You can say that again
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

While I agree Book of Boba Fett episode 1 wasn't amazing, it's pretty hard to take that writer seriously given the hyperbole throughout his article. He compared the episode to polio and said he'd rather die than watch another episode. He even pointed out the show will have more episodes to flesh out the characters, which is one of his main beefs. Why not give it more than 38 minutes?

The Mandalorian was awesome, so it was always going to be hard to live up to that standard. I'll still be interested to see where the next couple of episodes go before writing it off to the degree this writer did.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

All Madden documentary was very good.

Many Saints of Newark was very good.

I don't watch much TV, but while traveling and off for the holidays I slipped these in between bowl games.
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

gerryb323 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:49 pm Really liked Barry. Haven't gotten around to the other two. In the middle of finally catching up on Ted Lasso. I've enjoyed it as a quick watch comedy, but I wouldn't say it was earthshattering.

Binged all of Luther over the last couple weeks. More intense than your typical procedural. Kinda bummed it's apparently done.
I had to hold off on Ted Lasso because my wife wanted to watch it with me... we just watched two more episodes this evening.. wrapping up season 1 on our next viewing.

Luther was awesome... very intense. Idris just had too many feature films to make and was not able to focus on making more Luther.. Benedict Cumberbatch had the same issue with Sherlock. Two fantastic BBC shows.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:07 pm While I agree Book of Boba Fett episode 1 wasn't amazing, it's pretty hard to take that writer seriously given the hyperbole throughout his article. He compared the episode to polio and said he'd rather die than watch another episode. He even pointed out the show will have more episodes to flesh out the characters, which is one of his main beefs. Why not give it more than 38 minutes?
Drew is the king of hyperbole... his "Why your team sucks" anthologies every year for NFL teams is pure gold. His "Haters Guide to the Williams-Sonoma Catalogue" is also an annual staple for me.

The writing for episode one was pretty weak, though. He pointed out some stuff that made me go "oh yeah, that was pretty weak come to think of it"
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Over the break I finished Doom Patrol (very good in a B+ kinda way, but VERY strange (as it should be)) and Squid Game (good (not great, but quite solid) but did not like the very end, which seemed forced). Yes, I am so very far behind on my TV binging.

As for Book of Boba Fett, the first one was clearly setting things up for later; I would give it an Incomplete if grading. Bluntly, given the fanbase and character, there's going to be wailing and grinding of teeth no matter what they do, so I'm making it a point to ignore all commentary on it longer than a YOGWF post that isn't about food and/or Lindsey Scott. It could end up great or meh, depending on where they go with everything that's started in the first episode.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 am Over the break I finished Doom Patrol (very good in a B+ kinda way, but VERY strange (as it should be)) and Squid Game (good (not great, but quite solid) but did not like the very end, which seemed forced). Yes, I am so very far behind on my TV binging.

As for Book of Boba Fett, the first one was clearly setting things up for later; I would give it an Incomplete if grading. Bluntly, given the fanbase and character, there's going to be wailing and grinding of teeth no matter what they do, so I'm making it a point to ignore all commentary on it longer than a YOGWF post that isn't about food and/or Lindsey Scott. It could end up great or meh, depending on where they go with everything that's started in the first episode.
I lasted 2 episodes of Doom Patrol.. just didn't click with me.. IIRC, Alan Tudyk plays the villain in season 1.. he's one of my favorite character actors in Hollywood. His show on SyFy, Resident Alien is highly amusing... I watched it weekly when season 1 came out... I believe you can binge that show On Demand right now since season 2 is coming soon.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:03 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:03 am Over the break I finished Doom Patrol (very good in a B+ kinda way, but VERY strange (as it should be)) and Squid Game (good (not great, but quite solid) but did not like the very end, which seemed forced). Yes, I am so very far behind on my TV binging.

I lasted 2 episodes of Doom Patrol.. just didn't click with me.. IIRC, Alan Tudyk plays the villain in season 1.. he's one of my favorite character actors in Hollywood. His show on SyFy, Resident Alien is highly amusing... I watched it weekly when season 1 came out... I believe you can binge that show On Demand right now since season 2 is coming soon.
Doom Patrol definitely is not for everyone; it is very intentionally and defiantly both weird and dense. For each season (there's three) I spend a few episodes questioning why I watch it but, for me at least, it's always paid off in the end. I would not recommend it blindly, however; it is quite possibly the strangest ongoing series out there right now.

My only other experience with Alan Tudyk was Firefly. Having him play the big bad in season one took some adjusting (kind of like when I see JK Simmons in anything after having watched Oz, although in the complete opposite direction :wink: ....). Haven't heard of the sci fi channel show; I'll have to look into it.
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:54 pm

Doom Patrol definitely is not for everyone; it is very intentionally and defiantly both weird and dense. For each season (there's three) I spend a few episodes questioning why I watch it but, for me at least, it's always paid off in the end. I would not recommend it blindly, however; it is quite possibly the strangest ongoing series out there right now.

My only other experience with Alan Tudyk was Firefly. Having him play the big bad in season one took some adjusting (kind of like when I see JK Simmons in anything after having watched Oz, although in the complete opposite direction :wink: ....). Haven't heard of the sci fi channel show; I'll have to look into it.
He was Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball you uncultured swine!!!
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

krewe of ham and eggs wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:09 pm
GretnaGrn wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:54 pm

He was Steve the Pirate in Dodgeball you uncultured swine!!!
that was my first exposure to him as well (Steve... ARRRRRRR).. I didn't watch Firefly but I did see Serenity and it was a great ensemble.. since the show had already been canceled, I didn't bother going back to watch any of it. When I saw "Spamalot" on Broadway, Hank Azaria had gone on a brief hiatus to film a season of his Showtime show (forget the name, don't care enough to look it up) and Alan Tudyk was his stand in and was brilliant. He really is amazingly talented... when I told someone he voiced "King Candy" in the first Wreck it Ralph, I got "Wait, that was HIM???"
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 12:54 pm . I didn't watch Firefly but I did see Serenity and it was a great ensemble.. since the show had already been canceled, I didn't bother going back to watch any of it.
You really need to fix that. Only one season, but incredibly entertaining.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

I thought the second episode of Book of Boba Fett was a significant improvement over the first. The flashback parts are way better than the current, though; I kind of wish they had told everything sequentially rather than through flashbacks.
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am I thought the second episode of Book of Boba Fett was a significant improvement over the first. The flashback parts are way better than the current, though; I kind of wish they had told everything sequentially rather than through flashbacks.
I agree. Does it feel like they are spending so much time with the Tuskens that the present isn't fleshed out enough? The flashbacks are better, but I think they are causing the story of Fett as Daimyo to look pallid by comparison.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:01 am
GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37 am I thought the second episode of Book of Boba Fett was a significant improvement over the first. The flashback parts are way better than the current, though; I kind of wish they had told everything sequentially rather than through flashbacks.
I agree. Does it feel like they are spending so much time with the Tuskens that the present isn't fleshed out enough? The flashbacks are better, but I think they are causing the story of Fett as Daimyo to look pallid by comparison.
My feelings exactly. My suspicion is that Jabba's successor (I forget the name) ends up killing the Tuskens and that's why Boba kills him in turn and takes over, but I would rather have the happen in order. All the more so because, as you correctly note, the present day stuff feels rushed and not developed. It also suffers in comparison from a quality standpoint, for me; the Tusken parts are fun, while the current stuff is a bit boring (although seemingly setting things up).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:06 am
tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:01 am
My feelings exactly. My suspicion is that Jabba's successor (I forget the name) ends up killing the Tuskens and that's why Boba kills him in turn and takes over, but I would rather have the happen in order. All the more so because, as you correctly note, the present day stuff feels rushed and not developed. It also suffers in comparison from a quality standpoint, for me; the Tusken parts are fun, while the current stuff is a bit boring (although seemingly setting things up).
you both have covered my problems with this show so far... WAAYYYY too much time spent in flashbacks... 75% of this past episode was set in the past... I understand the accord between the people of Mos Pelgo and the Tuskens helped kill that big ass monster (Mandalorian Season 2 ep 1) was of interest to Boba Fett and injected him into Mando's story, but does it really require them to spend the better part of two episodes of the Book of Boba Fett to explain why he'd be interested or involved in the background?
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

The Daimyo between Jabba and Boba was Bib Fortuna, the twi'lek guy who was featured in the original trilogy. Luke used the force to trick him into an audience with Jabba in ROTJ. There was an end credit scene at the end of Mandalorian S2 that showed Boba killing Fortuna and sitting on Jabba's old throne, which is where BOBF is picking up. Gretna, you may prove right that Fortuna gets involved with Boba and his Tuskens at some point.

The killing of the Krayt dragon in Mandalorian S2 was awesome, but I'm not sure it's the same tribe of Tuskens as the ones Boba is aligned with. Otherwise I think he'd have been there to help and also would've been pissed that Cobb Vanth had his armor. As it was, Boba seemed to know Vanth had the armor (he mentions it when he tracks down the Mandalorian on that Jedi temple planet) so I'm guessing Mando just beat Boba to reclaiming it.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:41 pm The Daimyo between Jabba and Boba was Bib Fortuna, the twi'lek guy who was featured in the original trilogy. Luke used the force to trick him into an audience with Jabba in ROTJ. There was an end credit scene at the end of Mandalorian S2 that showed Boba killing Fortuna and sitting on Jabba's old throne, which is where BOBF is picking up. Gretna, you may prove right that Fortuna gets involved with Boba and his Tuskens at some point.

The killing of the Krayt dragon in Mandalorian S2 was awesome, but I'm not sure it's the same tribe of Tuskens as the ones Boba is aligned with. Otherwise I think he'd have been there to help and also would've been pissed that Cobb Vanth had his armor. As it was, Boba seemed to know Vanth had the armor (he mentions it when he tracks down the Mandalorian on that Jedi temple planet) so I'm guessing Mando just beat Boba to reclaiming it.

Yeah, I'm a nerd.
don't apologize because that was very helpful
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

wavedom wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:46 pm Very much enjoying Mayor of Kingstown.
episode nine had a lot of holy (expletive deleted) moments
tulaneoutlaw
Regent's Circle

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

I finally got to watch E5 of BOBF and it was by far the best episode of the series so far. Things have continued to develop slowly, but this was a crossover episode heavily featuring Mando, plus it had tons of references to The Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars animated series. There's even a call out to A New Hope via an actual womp rat in Beggar's Canyon. Highly recommend pushing on past E4 (which was very slow imo) because E5 gives insight into what's next for Boba and Mando. I just don't know how they'll wrap up the story with only two episodes left.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Turning to other shows, if you're not watching Peacemaker, you really should. It is everything the opening credits implies.

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

GretnaGrn wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:23 pm Turning to other shows, if you're not watching Peacemaker, you really should. It is everything the opening credits implies.

Love the show... I wish they had dropped all episodes at once.. I'd have watched the whole series in one day

did you see the story about Wig Wam, the Scandinavian hair band whose song is used in the opening dance number? They were dropped by their booking agent just weeks before the first episode aired. The agency claims they knew the song was going to be part of the show but they didn't think that meant it was going to boost their popularity at all despite the band saying "are you REALLY sure you want to do this... maybe wait a month?". So, rather than saying "yeah, we totally underestimated fanboys", they are trying to claim they made a smart move.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

tulaneoutlaw wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:08 pm I finally got to watch E5 of BOBF and it was by far the best episode of the series so far. Things have continued to develop slowly, but this was a crossover episode heavily featuring Mando, plus it had tons of references to The Phantom Menace and The Clone Wars animated series. There's even a call out to A New Hope via an actual womp rat in Beggar's Canyon. Highly recommend pushing on past E4 (which was very slow imo) because E5 gives insight into what's next for Boba and Mando. I just don't know how they'll wrap up the story with only two episodes left.
but how sad is it the best episode of the Book of Boba Fett contained not 1 frame of film including the titular character?