There is a new variant of Covid

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
Fan Since '54
Regent's Circle

There is a new variant of Covid

Post by Fan Since '54 »

Oh boy, what next? And I bet y'all have had enough of this Covid s_it. :roll:

Fan since '54
"...a hellava Hullabaloo"
krewe of ham and eggs
President's Circle

Re: There is a new variant of Covid

Post by krewe of ham and eggs »

What's covid? I haven't seen a thread about it.
AnY iMaGeS yOu PoRtRaY wIlL bE rEpReSeNtAtIvE oF tHe TeAm YoU sUpPoRt
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Even if it ends up being nothing worrisome it already wrecked the stock market Friday.

Though from what I've read it's more easily spreadable than Delta and possibly a little less held back by the vaccines (though they still help).
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

Just in time for Christmas!!!
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
BACONWAVE
Navigator Level

Post by BACONWAVE »

Johnny Mac wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:51 pm Just in time for Christmas!!!
& for both parties to fight over it.... :mrgreen:
You're killin' me Smalls!!!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

nm
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Saw a new article this morning that at least hinted that while it appears very different, the symptoms, at least at this point, appear very mild. Like "really tired for a day or two and then fine". But there's still concern about elderly and those with comordities.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:03 pm Saw a new article this morning that at least hinted that while it appears very different, the symptoms, at least at this point, appear very mild. Like "really tired for a day or two and then fine". But there's still concern about elderly and those with comordities.
I got tested for comordities once.. the test is worse than having comordities

got my Moderna booster today anyway
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

It's made its way to (off-) campus...
https://www.fox8live.com/2021/12/06/off ... n-variant/
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

COVID rates balooning day by day on Tulane's campus at a scary rate. Two floors of Sharp on total lockdown.

If only this could have been predicted? If only we had a great school of public health we could have listened to? :coolshades: :coolshades: :coolshades:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I apologize that I don't remember, but were Tulane students required to be vaccinated? Asking because I wonder, since college kids pretty much feel bulletproof already as it is, if being vaxxed just completely removed all care for safety.

Also gotta figure they all went home for Thanksgiving, saw all their old friends (who they probably haven't seen in two years now so the parties certainly raged harder), and brought it back with them.

Just have to hope between their age and hopefully being vaxxed that they all have minor symptoms.

Here's what I'm wondering: if you get Omicron, does that build the same antibodies as the other forms? Because if it does (and basically makes you immune to COVID), and Omicron is as mild as it appears to be, kid people be having Omicron parties like they used to have Chicken Pox parties? Get everyone infected with the mild variant to protect against the dangerous ones? (I don't think we have enough data on Omicron to know)
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

There's no definitive findings on it yet. The symptoms have been mild but those initially found with it have been young. They are now spreading it to others and it's getting into nursing homes. Deaths are going to go up. So sure have a super spreader event and kill people. Brilliant.
We deserve so much better
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pete, yes. Vax required for all students.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

To be protected against omicron you need the booster. All students are eligible now so that should be required.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

wavedom wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:18 am To be protected against omicron you need the booster. All students are eligible now so that should be required.
Also, masks. At least in the classroom. Should have been that way all along.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

wavedom wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:45 pm There's no definitive findings on it yet. The symptoms have been mild but those initially found with it have been young. They are now spreading it to others and it's getting into nursing homes. Deaths are going to go up. So sure have a super spreader event and kill people. Brilliant.
I am generally on "your side" of this whole thing but I think this is a bit of an overreaction. I have not seen a single story of a death or significant illness from Omicron. There have been super-spreader events but no one died from them. You are making assumptions.

I recall reading posts from virologists back during the initial lockdown in early 2020 about what was known about "Coronaviruses" as a general term for all variants that had been studied for years up to that point. One thing I distinctly recall is that they are very unstable and fairly easily killed when not in their "comfort zone"; meaning, when not in a warm moisture droplet (or in an actual host). That's why cleaners, wipes, sanitizers, alcohol, etc., are able to kill it. But the other thing I read at the time was the more Coronaviruses try to mutate to spread faster and avoid being killed, the more likely they are to get weaker. It was actually, as odd as it seemed, a positive, bright bit of hope... meaning, this kind of virus likely would not turn into a super-easy-to-spread-and-still-super-deadly killer. To be clear, Delta was easier to spread than the original, but still not at the level that virologists were screaming to batten down the hatches. The precautions we already had in place were enough (not that half the people listened).

The spike we are seeing right now across the country is Delta having a resurgence post-Thanksgiving.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

WaveProf wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:41 am
wavedom wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:18 am To be protected against omicron you need the booster. All students are eligible now so that should be required.
Also, masks. At least in the classroom. Should have been that way all along.
Just saw a notice that they have put the mask mandate back on campus.
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

PeteRasche wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:15 am
wavedom wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:45 pm There's no definitive findings on it yet. The symptoms have been mild but those initially found with it have been young. They are now spreading it to others and it's getting into nursing homes. Deaths are going to go up. So sure have a super spreader event and kill people. Brilliant.
I am generally on "your side" of this whole thing but I think this is a bit of an overreaction. I have not seen a single story of a death or significant illness from Omicron. There have been super-spreader events but no one died from them. You are making assumptions.

I recall reading posts from virologists back during the initial lockdown in early 2020 about what was known about "Coronaviruses" as a general term for all variants that had been studied for years up to that point. One thing I distinctly recall is that they are very unstable and fairly easily killed when not in their "comfort zone"; meaning, when not in a warm moisture droplet (or in an actual host). That's why cleaners, wipes, sanitizers, alcohol, etc., are able to kill it. But the other thing I read at the time was the more Coronaviruses try to mutate to spread faster and avoid being killed, the more likely they are to get weaker. It was actually, as odd as it seemed, a positive, bright bit of hope... meaning, this kind of virus likely would not turn into a super-easy-to-spread-and-still-super-deadly killer. To be clear, Delta was easier to spread than the original, but still not at the level that virologists were screaming to batten down the hatches. The precautions we already had in place were enough (not that half the people listened).

The spike we are seeing right now across the country is Delta having a resurgence post-Thanksgiving.
I am not making assumptions. They'll be reported publicly soon enough. The sequencing takes time to go through all the protocols. Not saying this will cause the same spike in hospitalizations and deaths that Delta did but the elderly and the compromised will be affected by it. As to Delta it's why the hospitals once again got over run and many died from it.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:42 pm Here's what I'm wondering: if you get Omicron, does that build the same antibodies as the other forms? Because if it does (and basically makes you immune to COVID), and Omicron is as mild as it appears to be, kid people be having Omicron parties like they used to have Chicken Pox parties? Get everyone infected with the mild variant to protect against the dangerous ones? (I don't think we have enough data on Omicron to know)
Just to be clear, as someone who has had COVID and is now vaxxed and boosted, the immunity you get from having had it is relatively short-term (I was told roughly six months from when you clear the infection).
wavedom
Regent's Circle

Post by wavedom »

GretnaGrn wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:46 pm
PeteRasche wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:42 pm Here's what I'm wondering: if you get Omicron, does that build the same antibodies as the other forms? Because if it does (and basically makes you immune to COVID), and Omicron is as mild as it appears to be, kid people be having Omicron parties like they used to have Chicken Pox parties? Get everyone infected with the mild variant to protect against the dangerous ones? (I don't think we have enough data on Omicron to know)
Just to be clear, as someone who has had COVID and is now vaxxed and boosted, the immunity you get from having had it is relatively short-term (I was told roughly six months from when you clear the infection).
It's too early to know what the antibodies will do with regards to omicron but as GG said even if it does it's not long lasting.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Timeline

Friday: Tulane reinstitutes mask mandate and puts two floors of Sharp on Lockdown. Says all activies with food need to be moved outdoors.

Sunday: Tulane gives all students permission to request to go online for rest of semester, and tells faculty they can do whatever they want in regards to in person vs online. All activities with food discouraged

Monday: Tulane actively starts encouraging faculty to move online (one admin quoted "we want these kids off campus as soon as possible")

Not sure what precisely they know about the numebrs, but it ain't good.