More hurricane stuff than you could want

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

More hurricane stuff than you could want

Post by PeteRasche »

With Sam jumping to Cat 4 (my fear was it would hit ECU next weekend, but relax, it's almost certainly heading to Nova Scotia), this story popped up in my feed... and it's got a LOT of interesting info, especially the various maps of historical late September and early October storms. I also didn't realize that after last year they'd ditched going to the Greek alphabet as a supplement and now have another name list (some interesting names on that one).

https://www.severe-weather.eu/tropical- ... y-four-mk/
doncecco
President's Circle

Re: More hurricane stuff than you could want

Post by doncecco »

No Xavier? Come on!
Bring home da Wave!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

doncecco wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:11 am No Xavier? Come on!
That's more of a middle name! :wink:
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:53 am
not entirely true... I think the reason is because half the population would call it "zavier", half would call it "hahvier" and the other half "eggzavier" (yes, I used ManBearPig math)

one thing that really pi88es me off about the hurricane "chicken littles" is them pointing to "oh, we've already had X number of named storms and we're all gonna DIE!!!!" when the bulk of the named storms haven't come close to land... look at Peter, Rose and Teresa... and Sam, too... NONE have threatened any land... total wastes of names. But the chicken littles will talk about how there are so many more storms and global warming and STOP DRIVING CARS!!!

I have been using a site Track the Tropics because they put a bunch of the spaghetti models out for the Invests, not just the named storms... but even they are a little guilty of going "full Weather Channel".. they edited this morning's NHC map to have red X's instead of orange (70% likely formation vs. 40% likely formation). I get the reason they want to be hyper cautious.. but they also lose the public's confidence with too many blown calls.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:00 am
not entirely true... I think the reason is because half the population would call it "zavier", half would call it "hahvier" and the other half "eggzavier" (yes, I used ManBearPig math)

one thing that really pi88es me off about the hurricane "chicken littles" is them pointing to "oh, we've already had X number of named storms and we're all gonna DIE!!!!" when the bulk of the named storms haven't come close to land... look at Peter, Rose and Teresa... and Sam, too... NONE have threatened any land... total wastes of names. But the chicken littles will talk about how there are so many more storms and global warming and STOP DRIVING CARS!!!

I have been using a site Track the Tropics because they put a bunch of the spaghetti models out for the Invests, not just the named storms... but even they are a little guilty of going "full Weather Channel".. they edited this morning's NHC map to have red X's instead of orange (70% likely formation vs. 40% likely formation). I get the reason they want to be hyper cautious.. but they also lose the public's confidence with too many blown calls.
My favorite is Kansas basketball legend Za-vee-ay Henry
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Yeah, when did this eggzavier become a thing, anyway?

Re: storms...maybe it's because I've still got sheetrock piled on the curb, but it sure seems like it's something we're dealing with way more frequently (and with way more intensity) now.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:41 am

Yeah, when did this eggzavier become a thing, anyway?

Re: storms...maybe it's because I've still got sheetrock piled on the curb, but it sure seems like it's something we're dealing with way more frequently (and with way more intensity) now.
Ex-zavier? Like in X-Men movies? I'd heard former Wichita State and NBA star Xavier McDaniel pronounced both ways...
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

you will find that eggzavier is generally an African American pronunciation of Xavier

it was Charles eggzavier in the movies because of the emphasis on X for X Men

ml, I don't disagree that storms are more frequent and stronger now.. I use my personal Tulane benchmark as an example... four years in New Orleans (81 to 85) and not even a sniff of a storm... continued until what.. the late 90s when Georges threatened early in that football season? Then a few more years of nothing.. then BAM.. Katrina.

BUT, I do not approve of the overhyping... because then the public gets desensitized after you miss and miss and miss. eventually, people will stop listening.
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:44 pm you will find that eggzavier is generally an African American pronunciation of Xavier

it was Charles eggzavier in the movies because of the emphasis on X for X Men

ml, I don't disagree that storms are more frequent and stronger now.. I use my personal Tulane benchmark as an example... four years in New Orleans (81 to 85) and not even a sniff of a storm... continued until what.. the late 90s when Georges threatened early in that football season? Then a few more years of nothing.. then BAM.. Katrina.

BUT, I do not approve of the overhyping... because then the public gets desensitized after you miss and miss and miss. eventually, people will stop listening.
I don't think there's anyone here that's desensitized after Katrina...before, sure.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:44 pm
THIS. And it applies to a lot of things. Just because something is a real threat and just because the public is underestimating that thread does not = it's a good idea to overstate that threat to try to jolt the public
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Damn, I should've suggested Xander or Xiomora instead. :roll:
Bring home da Wave!
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Post by ml wave »

doncecco wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:23 pm Damn, I should've suggested Xander or Xiomora instead. :roll:
Eggzander!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:20 pm
doncecco wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:23 pm Damn, I should've suggested Xander or Xiomora instead. :roll:
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:08 pm
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??
I think it's egg-salad-sandwich
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??
I think I had that at Brennan's once.
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 am
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??
cool story bro time... once a buddy of mine asked on Facebook (he lives in Atlanta)... "anyone know a good Midtown plumber?" Well, Midtown Atlanta has a larger than average gay population so I said "Midtown plumber sounds like something that you'd find on Urban Dictionary"... so I decided to make up a definition, which I will not share here, and it got accepted. I am one of the rare folks who have been published on both Urban Dictionary and in Maxim magazine, BTW.

Anyway, point of my referencing this.. we should make up a dish Eggsyomora to fit the name... sounds Japanese to me... perhaps an egg scramble mixed with teriyaki beef and veggies?
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Alright JM, I gotta know what you had published in Maxim.
doncecco
President's Circle

Post by doncecco »

Johnny Mac wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:15 am
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??
cool story bro time... once a buddy of mine asked on Facebook (he lives in Atlanta)... "anyone know a good Midtown plumber?" Well, Midtown Atlanta has a larger than average gay population so I said "Midtown plumber sounds like something that you'd find on Urban Dictionary"... so I decided to make up a definition, which I will not share here, and it got accepted. I am one of the rare folks who have been published on both Urban Dictionary and in Maxim magazine, BTW.

Anyway, point of my referencing this.. we should make up a dish Eggsyomora to fit the name... sounds Japanese to me... perhaps an egg scramble mixed with teriyaki beef and veggies?
Xiomora is Mexican/Latino!
Bring home da Wave!
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

doncecco wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:09 pm
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??

I realize that.. but I am saying that "eggsyomora" sounds Japanese to me
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 am
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??

Sounds more fake Asian; kinda like Yakamein.
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Post by gerryb323 »

GretnaGrn wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:20 am
Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:22 am
Eggzander!
Eggsyomora??

Sounds more fake Asian; kinda like Yakamein.
Chinese place by me has Yat Gaw Mein, I was like: