Carnival 2017

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Re: Carnival 2017

Post by PeteRasche »

TUPF wrote:I'm with you Pete. Except for 8" of snow in January that melted in a couple of days, it's been yet another non winter in the MidAtlantic.
The strange thing about it is an hour north in Dayton, they've had multiple significant snows, all of which just missed us. And 4 hours north in Toledo and Cleveland, they've had a really bad winter, all the same stuff that's been pounding the northeast. With the jet stream, as with real estate, it's location, location, location.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Today has turned into a stunning day. Wish I had time to go to day parades!
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:Today has turned into a stunning day.
Hmmm, if only there were TV news shows, Internet sites, or apps where you could find predictions of what the weather would be ahead of time instead of being surprised by it!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Pete, 1) When you live in NOLA you learn to only have trust such services 2) most of those services had been, for days, predicting last night's chilly temps to linger through today (before turning warmer tomorrow). Those predictions only really changed yesterday, sometime before you checked it to talk about how warm it was going to be :mrgreen:
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

After the first weekend I have to give a shoutout to Pygmalion. That's a real parade with really good-looking floats.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Agreed LG

Also Carrolton has potential. Though hard to judge because I was in such a bad mood from how Gosh-Awful the other parades were around it, and the fact that the day lasted FOREVER (and we couldn't leave because my son wanted to see his grandmother who was in the last parade)
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Carrollton does not have potential, Carrollton is a great old neighborhood krewe that has been robbed of its potential by having too many other parades talking up space, bands, the few decent walking groups, etc. Maybe I should say Carrollton is fighting a losing battle for oxygen. Sunday needs to lose a parade, Saturday needs to lose a day parade.

All of Mardi Gras needs to go on a diet. There are 32 krewes scheduled for the Uptown route(s). Drop just four parades and everything would feel much better. If you can't fill your floats, off you go.

I am finally boycotting Muses Thursday. I have gone "mad old man" and decided to blame Muses for everything that is wrong with Mardi Gras. It's too long and sucks up too many bands and walking groups. One of them, the Rolling Elvi, is a symptom within the larger symptom. It's a giant stupid wreck that keeps growing and is supposed to be funny. I also think Muses' snobbery toward Nyx and other womens' krewes has gotten a little ugly (not that Nyx doesn't have some issues). Muses should take it as flattery but they don't. Who died and made them Comus?*

* oh right, Comus died.
Last edited by long green on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
And may our enemies, if they exist, be unconscious of our purpose. - From The Lady Vanishes
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

LG----I agree with every word so much I could have written it, other than to explain what I meant by Carrolton. As they've been taken over by bigger, etc, they haven't tried to copy. Their "small" floats (that still don't look like every other Blane Kern invention) gives them a certain 1950s kitch I respect. That's all I really meant.

I know 4 Elvi so I always look forward to seeing them. If I didn't know 4 Elvi, I wouldn't look forward to seeing them.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

Mardi Gras is a glorious mess and I love it but it's bringing out my inner Cromwell.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:Carrollton does not have potential, Carrollton is a great old neighborhood krewe that has been robbed of its potential by having too many other parades talking up space, bands, the few decent walking groups, etc. Maybe I should say Carrollton is fighting a losing battle for oxygen. Sunday needs to lose a parade, Saturday needs to lose a day parade.

All of Mardi Gras needs to go on a diet. There are 32 krewes scheduled for the Uptown route(s). Drop just four parades and everything would feel much better. If you can't fill your floats, off you go.

I am finally boycotting Muses Thursday. I have gone "mad old man" and decided to blame Muses for everything that is wrong with Mardi Gras. It's too long and sucks up too many bands and walking groups. One of them, the Rolling Elvi, is a symptom within the larger symptom. It's a giant stupid wreck that keeps growing and is supposed to be funny. I also think Muses' snobbery toward Nyx and other womens' krewes has gotten a little ugly (not that Nyx doesn't have some issues). Muses should take it as flattery but they don't. Who died and made them Comus?*

* oh right, Comus died.
You're not wrong, but I think the solution is different. These overcrowded days are the result of krewes flocking to the uptown route and abandoning anything else. The westbank is down to two parades, for example, and two of the ones who have disappeared (Choctaw and Alla (whose friggin' name is an acronym for Algiers, Louisiana)) have jammed themselves into the uptown route. I miss the days where there was a different flavor and experience depending on where you went. Uptown isn't the be-all and end-all, although it's sure becoming that way as the other options dry up.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

the parades did not abandon Metairie and the West Bank and other communities, the residents abandoned the parades of those communities to watch parades Uptown and many of the krewes followed them. I wish those residents would rediscover their old pride in their Carnival celebrations.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:the parades did not abandon Metairie and the West Bank and other communities, the residents abandoned the parades of those communities to watch parades Uptown and many of the krewes followed them. I wish those residents would rediscover their old pride in their Carnival celebrations.
Plenty of people came out to the westbank parades when they had the "big 3" (Choctaw, Alla and Adonis (who is one of two parades still on the west bank)). It wasn't the crowd uptown gets in size, but then it never was--and doesn't have to be. There was always a good turnout by any other standard.
GreenieBacker
Emerald Circle

Post by GreenieBacker »

Gretna you hit the nail on the head, IMO. It was better when we had these parade distributed over more sites. Personally I loved the Mid-City parade route and now, other than for Endymion, they're all gone to Uptown. As you say the different routes gave the various parades a different flavor and helped distribute the load.
A magic dwells in each beginning- H.H.
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

GreenieBacker wrote:Gretna you hit the nail on the head, IMO. It was better when we had these parade distributed over more sites. Personally I loved the Mid-City parade route and now, other than for Endymion, they're all gone to Uptown. As you say the different routes gave the various parades a different flavor and helped distribute the load.
The different routes had different personalities. One of the migrants I most miss seeing on it's original route is actually Mid-City; they always had a fun parade through their original route. Now, they mostly get lost in the shuffle.
long green
Cornerstone

Post by long green »

GretnaGrn wrote:
long green wrote:the parades did not abandon Metairie and the West Bank and other communities, the residents abandoned the parades of those communities to watch parades Uptown and many of the krewes followed them. I wish those residents would rediscover their old pride in their Carnival celebrations.
Plenty of people came out to the westbank parades when they had the "big 3" (Choctaw, Alla and Adonis (who is one of two parades still on the west bank)). It wasn't the crowd uptown gets in size, but then it never was--and doesn't have to be. There was always a good turnout by any other standard.
Yes, people did used to do that. But too many in the crowds left. If the crowds of the 80's were still on hand in Metairie, the West Bank, etc., the krewes would still be there. The crowds Uptown in the 70's & 80's were nothing like they are now. It got crowded at times (Bacchus) but parades like Babylon (Wednesday), and Freret (Monday the week before) didn't see Muses crowds. And the parades rolled by quickly. You could still have an evening. Now it is all of the evening and much of what becomes before and after.

The reason for the consolidation to One Route is due to the insistence of the police. I understand that reason but I am thankful for the exception provided by Endymion because it is so big that it tells you that it IS possible that a few parades could come back to some old routes.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

There is an exception for Thoth too. I'd like to see an exception for Carrolton to at least let them START on Carrolton (and then maybe turn onto St Charles and finish the typical route).

Mid City is one of my favorite parades and Id hate to see it leave Uptwon (cause I'm not gonna do Endymion Saturdays), but I don't understand why it couldn't run on its old route in the afternoon before Endymion. The cops/route are already there, so who would it hurt? That's right, Endymion and their big pocketbooks who want to be the king and queen on the same day.

What's happened to the Wank and Metairie is sad, but those parades aren't going back. And LG isn't completely wrong, especially as pertains to Metairie. Those parades were the anbandonedee as much as they were the abandoner
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

long green wrote:
GretnaGrn wrote:
Yes, people did used to do that. But too many in the crowds left. If the crowds of the 80's were still on hand in Metairie, the West Bank, etc., the krewes would still be there. The crowds Uptown in the 70's & 80's were nothing like they are now. It got crowded at times (Bacchus) but parades like Babylon (Wednesday), and Freret (Monday the week before) didn't see Muses crowds. And the parades rolled by quickly. You could still have an evening. Now it is all of the evening and much of what becomes before and after.

The reason for the consolidation to One Route is due to the insistence of the police. I understand that reason but I am thankful for the exception provided by Endymion because it is so big that it tells you that it IS possible that a few parades could come back to some old routes.
For Orleans Parish, you're correct that the police have insisted on it (although this doesn't seem like something that couldn't be changed if a higher authority decided to do so). While the west bank crowds just before Alla and Choctaw left might not have matched the '80's, they were still healthy enough to support the parades, and the atmosphere was definitely different. Just my two cents.
1309th WAVE
Regent's Circle

Post by 1309th WAVE »

TUMB just wrapped up our first (not cancelled) parade of the season. Come catch us in Endymion and Orpheus!
sr
Regent's Circle

Post by sr »

1309th WAVE wrote:TUMB just wrapped up our first (not cancelled) parade of the season. Come catch us in Endymion and Orpheus!
Saw this on Twitter ...
https://twitter.com/CoachSherms/status/ ... 8169541634
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

1309th WAVE wrote: Come catch us in Endymion
Not for a half million dollars
1309th WAVE wrote: Come catch us in Orpheus!
Will do!

Enjoyed having Shockwave stuck in front of us during a 50 minute break down in Arthur/Alla. It was the ONLY good thing about the breakdown and/or the day Carnival lasted forever (aka Sunday 2.19.2017)
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

Gracious Bakery opening a branch at 6th and st Charles has literally changed my Mardi Gras forever :)
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Just tortured myself by checking the weather forecast down there for the weekend. Looks great except for Monday! Have fun and be safe, y'all!
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

PeteRasche wrote:Just tortured myself by checking the weather forecast down there for the weekend. Looks great except for Monday! Have fun and be safe, y'all!
Yup. Perfect weather tonite.

Fingers crossed about Monday. I'd trade bad weather most any other day other than Mardi Gras in order to get decent weather Monday. Proteus is one of our absolute favs & wavetot loves the big train in Orpheus
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

So at 2 today someone was shot at the corner of Napoleon and St Charles between the Iris and Tucks parade. It happened when someone carried a gun (illegal on parade routes) into a porta potty, accidentally discharged it in the porta potty, and the bullet hit someone in a nearby tent.

Meanwhile, tonight at 6 a drunk frat boy drove his pickup truck onto the neutral ground wounding at least 28 people, 21 of whom are in the hospital, 7 in critical condition. Victims range in age from 4 to 40
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:So at 2 today someone was shot at the corner of Napoleon and St Charles between the Iris and Tucks parade. It happened when someone carried a gun (illegal on parade routes) into a porta potty, accidentally discharged it in the porta potty, and the bullet hit someone in a nearby tent.

Meanwhile, tonight at 6 a drunk frat boy drove his pickup truck onto the neutral ground wounding at least 28 people, 21 of whom are in the hospital, 7 in critical condition. Victims range in age from 4 to 40
Driver is 26, hardly frat boy aged.

The idiot at Napoleon should go to jail
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count