Star Wars - Rogue One

Non-Tulane News Discussion-
Anything that doesn't belong on any Tulane forum sans Religious or Political discussion or debate
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Star Wars - Rogue One

Post by PeteRasche »

With Disney's purchase of the franchise and their promise to run the whole thing into the ground while making billions in merchandising release one movie per year... this December gives us the first ever "spin off" story, Rogue One. It's the story of how the original (release 1.0?) Death Star plans were stolen by the Rebels, leading up to the events that opened the original movie. Yes, technically it fits into the story line between the prequel trilogies and original trilogy ("episode 3.5"?) but supposedly none of the characters in the film will be in any future films.

First trailer out today (they waited a whole two days after the BD/DVD release of The Force Awakens!):

Pretty decent dissection of the trailer for a major media outlet:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/gallery ... ss-BBrtI5S
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Re: Star Wars - Rogue One

Post by OGSB »

This one has always interested me more than the Episode VII, which I've somehow managed to still not have seen.

To be honest I didn't see any of the movies mentioned in this thread in the theater, even the ones I said I wanted to see.
Victory is never permanent
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

OGSB wrote:This one has always interested me more than the Episode VII, which I've somehow managed to still not have seen.

To be honest I didn't see any of the movies mentioned in this thread in the theater, even the ones I said I wanted to see.
Episode VII is out on Blu-ray/digital soon, so you can catch it (it's the best one since Empire Strikes Back, IMHO).

I agree that Rogue One looks very, very interesting.
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

GretnaGrn wrote:Episode VII is out on Blu-ray/digital soon
Or, ya know, as I mentioned in the OP, this past Tuesday. 8)
GretnaGrn
Regent's Circle

Post by GretnaGrn »

PeteRasche wrote:
Well, that is soon, isn't it? :angel:

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Dang, now I'm gonna have that main riff stuck in my head all day. Thanks.

WAAAYYYOWWWWWWWWWWW
Poseidon
Regent's Circle

Post by Poseidon »

GretnaGrn wrote:
PeteRasche wrote:
Well, that is soon, isn't it? :angel:

I just think of "Charmed"
Quote:The Good - TULANE
The Bad - LSU
THe Ugly - USM
Honorable mention - Navy
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

Saw that today. Interesting that they'd release a trailer without confidently having a finished product, or close enough that the corporate bigwigs would have seen and blessed a rough cut.

Of course, it's all rumor... It's possible that this story isn't really true, as Disney is known to do reshoots.
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

The less suits at Disney tell Edwards what to do with his film, the higher the odds it will be something great. Suits only know how to copy, not create. The best films take chances and scare the crud out of the suits. See The Godfather (or the original StarvWars) for example.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

WaveProf wrote:The less suits at Disney tell Edwards what to do with his film, the higher the odds it will be something great. Suits only know how to copy, not create. The best films take chances and scare the crud out of the suits. See The Godfather (or the original StarvWars) for example.
This is Star Wars, it's not high art. The only thing that scared the suits in the original is how crazily over-budget it was.

JJ Abrams has stated that he read the script for Rogue One and it was fantastic, and he kinda wished he were directing it. One would assume that the suits at Disney would have read the script as well, so it likely isn't script-related changes. If the reshoots are really because of it "testing poorly", you'd think it was something else - the director's cinematographic style, or the acting, or some particular plot points. It's also possible that there is a scene or two that are too violent for a SW movie (maybe they are afraid it will get an "R") and need to redo those scenes? I can't imagine they are dumbing it down per the suits simply to "Disney-fy" it.

I also wonder if there might be some plot points they need to set up events in future SW films, and perhaps those points weren't done in the way they wanted (or at all). I know this is a "standalone" film in the series (effectively episode 3.5) but I have a feeling something will be inserted in this one that will be later referenced in Ep. 8 or Ep. 9, but would not have even mattered in Eps. 4, 5, & 6.
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:The less suits at Disney tell Edwards what to do with his film, the higher the odds it will be something great. Suits only know how to copy, not create. The best films take chances and scare the crud out of the suits. See The Godfather (or the original StarvWars) for example.
Okay comrade. I mean the "suits" are the ones paying for it so without them the movie doesn't exist, but rise up against the capitalists.

You are now forbidden from opining on any Star Wars movie going forward since it is just commercial entertainment and not art. Start a thread on the wonderful movies coming out of Cannes that no one ever goes to see.
Using big words is not a personal attack
#cousins don't count
WaveProf
Cornerstone

Post by WaveProf »

windywave wrote:
Okay comrade. I mean the "suits" are the ones paying for it so without them the movie doesn't exist, but rise up against the capitalists.

You are now forbidden from opining on any Star Wars movie going forward since it is just commercial entertainment and not art. Start a thread on the wonderful movies coming out of Cannes that no one ever goes to see.
Posts like this remind me why I was so happy to greatly scale back my reading/posting on yogwf. And I've been happier for it. It's not the topic nor even really the content of the argument, but I'm just an all around happier person when windy wave isn't in my life. See y'all in the fall.
“We will expect success in all endeavors and be prepared to assess and hold ourselves accountable when we aren't successful. Tulane is a top 40 academic institution and it should expect nothing less from its athletic department.” --Troy Dannen 11.5.16
OGSB
Emerald Circle

Post by OGSB »

Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

Posts like this remind me why I was so happy to greatly scale back my reading/posting on yogwf. And I've been happier for it. It's not the topic nor even really the content of the argument, but I'm just an all around happier person when windy wave isn't in my life. See y'all in the fall.
wow... THAT'S all it took?

Prof won't read this until fall, if ever, but Windy is right... the "suits" at Disney have a pretty good track record going right now and have been on a big win streak since "The Lone Ranger" bombed. Their (the suits) incessant "tinkering" actually turned Ant Man from a steaming pile into a success, relatively speaking. Not exactly my fave, but it brought in a shat ton of money compared to their expectations.

Oh, and BTW, they had the same type of "panic re-shoots" for "Avengers 1"... that one turned out OK.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I enjoyed Ant Man, though that was as much from Paul Rudd being so likeable and perfectly cast. And it was successful enough that Marvel has inserted a sequel into Phase 3 (Ant Man and the Wasp) before they wrap with Infinity War pt. 2.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

PeteRasche wrote:I enjoyed Ant Man, though that was as much from Paul Rudd being so likeable and perfectly cast. And it was successful enough that Marvel has inserted a sequel into Phase 3 (Ant Man and the Wasp) before they wrap with Infinity War pt. 2.
but do you remember when the project was a steaming pile and they fired the first director and re-wrote the whole thing? Those d@mn suits!!!
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

WaveProf wrote:
windywave wrote:

#cousins don't count
windywave
Emerald Circle

Post by windywave »

PeteRasche wrote:I enjoyed Ant Man, though that was as much from Paul Rudd being so likeable and perfectly cast. And it was successful enough that Marvel has inserted a sequel into Phase 3 (Ant Man and the Wasp) before they wrap with Infinity War pt. 2.
Are there more than 3 phases?
#cousins don't count
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

windywave wrote:Are there more than 3 phases?
I doubt they'll stop making Marvel movies in 2019 (after the announced end of Phase 3) when every movie they make brings in a freakin' billion dollars. I mean, I suppose something could go horribly wrong over the course of the next NINE movies of Phase 3 (Civil War was the first of 10, but the list keeps changing)... but it's not likely.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

windywave wrote:Are there more than 3 phases?
Robert Downey Jr has said he's interested in doing Iron Man 4... and that's not in Phase 3... so there will be a phase 4

Guardians of the Galaxy 3 will be in Phase 4
Spiderman 2 (the second of Marvel's iteration) will be in Phase 4
PeteRasche wrote:I doubt they'll stop making Marvel movies in 2019 (after the announced end of Phase 3) when every movie they make brings in a freakin' billion dollars. I mean, I suppose something could go horribly wrong over the course of the next NINE movies of Phase 3 (Civil War was the first of 10, but the list keeps changing)... but it's not likely.
the only change on the list is the deletion of Inhumans, everything else is still expected to move forward
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I saw Inhumans was pushed back but hadn't seen that it was removed from the schedule (but a quick GIS shows you are right). I originally figured since it had become a prime storyline in "Agents of SHIELD", the movie would be important... but since they have seemingly been keeping a more and more firm separation between TV and movies, I guess they may completely ditch the movie.
Seems to agree with my thinking: http://metro.co.uk/2016/04/26/marvel-fa ... y-5841729/

I saw that San Diego Comic-Con is coming up, I suspect some news will come out of there. If anyone Marvel-related is speaking there (and surely several people will be), they'll get asked about it.
AO Sig
Regent's Circle

Post by AO Sig »

I was in the "Star Tours" attraction with my son last night; there is a bunch of merchandise in the ubiquitous "shop after the ride" for the Star Wars, Rogue One production. We have ridden the turboride twice this trip, and three times during Spring break; in the past there was a number of places one went, but every time it has gone to a scene from the newest film during the first part.

The next paragraph is, admittedly, a threadjack, directed toward those who are Disney fans (or have kids/grandkids who are fans). Ignore if you wish.

The Hollywood studios theme park, in case you have not been there for a while, is undergoing a major construction project. The city area is completely walled off, and the area where the backlot tour and the motor stunt show are being razed. The area past the muppets and Mamma Melrose also are walled off. They are building two new areas- one is a Star Wars-based land, the other will be Toy Story or Pixar-based. One bright note- the Toy Story Midway Mania now has three game lines rather than two, so the standby wait times are much shorter. Before the wait was up to 2 hours; now it is down to 40 minutes or less.
What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Post by Johnny Mac »

AO Sig wrote:The Hollywood studios theme park, in case you have not been there for a while, is undergoing a major construction project. The city area is completely walled off, and the area where the backlot tour and the motor stunt show are being razed. The area past the muppets and Mamma Melrose also are walled off. They are building two new areas- one is a Star Wars-based land, the other will be Toy Story or Pixar-based. One bright note- the Toy Story Midway Mania now has three game lines rather than two, so the standby wait times are much shorter. Before the wait was up to 2 hours; now it is down to 40 minutes or less.
we are planning on going to Hollywood Studios in October.. thanks for the heads up!!
PeteRasche
Cornerstone

Post by PeteRasche »

I'll be at Disney Springs Monday night and Tuesday morning... does that count? :mrgreen:
(business travel; get in Monday night, inspect job site Tuesday morning, back to the airport Tuesday afternoon... not really any time to see anything Disney....)