Teflon Tom Brady

Non-Tulane Sports Discussion
Anything that doesn't belong on the main YOGWF Sports forums e.g. Saints, Hornets, BC$, High School, etc.
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Teflon Tom Brady

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

so, how does Stephen Ross get suspending for 6 games for tampering with Tom Brady while he was under contract with both New England and Tampa.. and Brady gets away scot free? It takes two to have a conversation.. Brady could have EASILY not taken those calls and engaged in discussions. He should be suspended at least as long as Ross, if not longer. I honestly think he could murder Gisele on live TV and the league would not suspend him.
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Re: Teflon Tom Brady

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 pm so, how does Stephen Ross get suspending for 6 games for tampering with Tom Brady while he was under contract with both New England and Tampa.. and Brady gets away scot free? It takes two to have a conversation.. Brady could have EASILY not taken those calls and engaged in discussions. He should be suspended at least as long as Ross, if not longer. I honestly think he could murder Gisele on live TV and the league would not suspend him.
Because there's no rule against players talking to other players/coaches/owners, etc.?
Johnny Mac
Emerald Circle

Unread post by Johnny Mac »

ml wave wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:05 pm
Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 pm so, how does Stephen Ross get suspending for 6 games for tampering with Tom Brady while he was under contract with both New England and Tampa.. and Brady gets away scot free? It takes two to have a conversation.. Brady could have EASILY not taken those calls and engaged in discussions. He should be suspended at least as long as Ross, if not longer. I honestly think he could murder Gisele on live TV and the league would not suspend him.
Because there's no rule against players talking to other players/coaches/owners, etc.?
there's obviously more than just "Talking to another owner" here or Ross wouldn't have been punished.. the point is, Brady could have said "you know I can't talk to you during the season.. talk to my agent after the season is over"

Just found my answer... NFLPA has set it up so players can never get in trouble for tampering.. impermissible contact by teams during the season is punishable EVEN if the player started the conversation. So, Ross calls Brady.. Ross gets punished. Brady calls Ross, Ross gets punished. How on Earth did the owners allow THAT in the CBA?
YOGWF - of all the Tulane fans in the world, we're the Tulaniest
gerryb323
Regent's Circle

Unread post by gerryb323 »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:39 pm
there's obviously more than just "Talking to another owner" here or Ross wouldn't have been punished.. the point is, Brady could have said "you know I can't talk to you during the season.. talk to my agent after the season is over"

Just found my answer... NFLPA has set it up so players can never get in trouble for tampering.. impermissible contact by teams during the season is punishable EVEN if the player started the conversation. So, Ross calls Brady.. Ross gets punished. Brady calls Ross, Ross gets punished. How on Earth did the owners allow THAT in the CBA?
Gotta protect themselves from...themselves
Wandering around somewhere in a matchup zone
ml wave
Emerald Circle

Unread post by ml wave »

Johnny Mac wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:39 pm

Right, there's no rule against players "tampering" because by definition players can't tamper...Tom Brady can talk to the Dolphins all he wants but if he's under contract with Tampa then he'll be playing for Tampa...there's nothing he can do about that. As to why it's set up that way, it's much easier to police 32 owners than it is 2000 players and also the owners would have to give something up to get the union to agree to having their players subject to some kind of tampering rule.